Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seventary

Norwegian metalhead
Reaction score
The almighty Steve Vai. After I heard the Passion and Warfare album. Standard tuning is enough for me.

failshredder

hammer every cock
Reaction score
Rusty Cooley. I don't really aspire to super-shredderdom any more, but he was definitely the one that made me want a 7.

Reaction score
For me it was when i found out deathcore bands used 7 strings like whitechapel and SS and whatnot...
Then i found out about All Shall Perish and more importantly "Awaken the Dreamers" After i heard that i was determined to get a 7 string.
Took me a couple years but i got one!
I usually write in drop a but am learning some ASP at the moment in their tuning.
Hoping to incorperate some Chis Storey shred stylings into a drop a extravaganza!

AeonBlue

Reaction score
I was really drawn towards the 7 string upon hearing Dream Theater's Awake album. I like the low end aggressiveness. :hbang:

Got my first and only 7 string year 2002 6 years after I heard the Awake album. An Ibanez Prestige XLRB.

DragonChild

Reaction score
for me it was kaoru when he and die used the seven string and baritone combo on kisou i thought it was the grittiest lowest sound i heard at the time

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 23

DeathMetalDean

ss.org Shredder
Reaction score
Leftyguitarjoe xD I'm sure he's about these forums somewhere. But yeahhhh I seen his schecter omen 7 and was like OMG GIMME! :lol: then I found out about some awesome guitarists / bands which used 7 strings. Then I was reborn xD!

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
Initially Trivium, but after picking up a 7 at a music store I was left uninspired for some crazy reason and didn't think any further of it.

A while down the track I began to get into Nevermore and similar bands using ERGs and decided to just buy one, and that was the best decision I've ever made :lol:

In the end it was probably moreso just me wanting to try something different, and it is fun telling people that their guitar doesn't have enough strings.

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
No one really inspired me to pick up a seven. I knew what they were but I had the normal "why do you need those extra notes?!?!?!" attitude (Sorry guys, I used to be on UG a lot... So I just had got that :shrug:). So one day I was in Sam Ash and I was bored, so I picked up the brand new LTD 408 8 string, and I was pretty much hooked from there :) About a month later I got my hands on a seven and that really seemed to "fit", so here I am. About to get a custom BRJ 7 string and couldn't be happier ;)

Sometimes I kind of wonder if I should have ordered an 8 string instead of a seven though, I mean why not have the added range? But I think because of the scale that's required to keep those bottom strings tight and how that's going to effect the timbre and feel of the treble strings (I do a lot of bends too, so bending the high E a step and a half up at 30" scale would be a bitch!) I'd want a fanned fret... Which I think is going to be a pretty big leap for me. Right now, I'm pretty content with this seven :lol:

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I personally feel 7s is the perfect compromise of enough notes/range and comfortability. For me, an 8 string would be too uncomfortable, where when I started playing 7 strings, It just felt natural from the start.

Its like I am learning with Bass now; I bought a 6 string and it didnt click at all with me, granted there were many other specs that I didnt gel with (35", 17mm spacing) but I know that 5 strings is perfect for me. I may try a 6 again in the future with 34" and 19mm, if I can find one, but I think 5 bass and 7 guitar are my "perfect medium".

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
I find sevens to feel more natural than sixers, possibly because I spent 5 years playing classical guitar first, and became accustomed to the wider neck before moving on to the thinner 6 string electrics. Now playing sixers feels like I'm fretting a noodle :lol:

cob

Metalest man alive
Reaction score
Petrucci from the dance of eternity. Not intricate work but a song I wanted to learn. Also, amon amarth because I hate detuning to B to play it.

I developed my 7 technique through satch's strange beautiful music album(mindstorm) and a lot of loomis technique. Unearth is cool but not really influential on my 7 string playing. I like to take bodom, metallica, and other 6 string riffers and use that technique on the 7 so in that sense, any guitarist i listen to really is an influence.

Almost always standard tuning or a half step down. Sometimes drop A. I avoid open tunings or tuning the whole guitar more than a whole step down.

so in a perfect world, all basses would go B E A D G
and all guitars would continue... B E A D G b e

thus creating world peace and lack of hunger. :)

Sound Reasoing :yesway:

Latest posts

')