Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I personally feel 7s is the perfect compromise of enough notes/range and comfortability. For me, an 8 string would be too uncomfortable, where when I started playing 7 strings, It just felt natural from the start.

Its like I am learning with Bass now; I bought a 6 string and it didnt click at all with me, granted there were many other specs that I didnt gel with (35", 17mm spacing) but I know that 5 strings is perfect for me. I may try a 6 again in the future with 34" and 19mm, if I can find one, but I think 5 bass and 7 guitar are my "perfect medium".

This :agreed:

Necromechanical

I am a machine
Reaction score
Mainly Suicide Silence, Whitechapel, Carnifex, and other bands like that. However, once I finally purchased my first 7 (RG7321) I got into bands that use 7 & 8s more efficiently like Scale the Summit, Periphery, and Animals As Leaders.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
Trivium and All Shall Perish. Also because with my tunings I wanted to go lower so I figured I can get super low with a seven and not have to get thick ass strings!

jl-austin

Reaction score
LOL,

I have always liked Korn, and now Head, and also the Dino years at Fear Factory, However, I did not buy a 7 string until last year. Believe it or not, it was Maxofmetal that inspired me to get a 7 string. Not because I had heard any of his music, but because of all the 7 string talk.

gui94

Banned
Reaction score
I love to create, period. It's the same when it comes to a music instrument. I thought to myself "I need more options... I need to go further.. I need.. ANOTHER STRING!". And that was it. However, I'm still saving money for my first one, but I already imagine myself playing :lol:

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
The first heavier music I ever listened to was Korn, and that was a big influence on my wanting a seven string. Meshuggah was another big big reason I went the ERG route.

haffner1

Reaction score
I love to create, period. It's the same when it comes to a music instrument. I thought to myself "I need more options... I need to go further.. I need.. ANOTHER STRING!".

This... except I bought one back in 2001, and I didn't get seriously into it until a few years ago, and I was listening to a lot of Nevermore and some old Vai stuff.

Ragnar

Reaction score
Broderick, Loomis, Thordendal, although the main reason was more versatility tone-vise (even making my own 8 is on the plan in the future)..
and btw gothenburg melo-death ftw

rebell82

Reaction score
Natural evolution for me. I´ve been putting thicker & thicker strings on my 6´s, and gotten lower & lower in tuning over the years... By accident i tried a friends ibanez 7 and liked the feel of the wider neck.

CloudAC

Chaz
Reaction score
John Petrucci and Matt Heafy for me. Shogun is a brilliant piece of work and JP is an unstoppable force. DT are amazing.

bklixuz

Reaction score
I always thought 7strngs are just for people who play like korn that never touches the high strings unless their making it sound like a keyboard and did not have any interest on them until I saw chris broderick on blood on the water and jeff loomis on year of the voyager dvd. so I bought a 7 and loving it every day! 6 strings feels like toys now.

Dirtdog

"Wicked Sensation"
Reaction score
Vai was the first guy I had heard that used a sevenstring and caught my attention. Then it was DT's Awake album that sealed the deal. But it was another ten years before I could find a lefty that was good. Thanks Carvin.

')