Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PhillCantu93

Some guy, I suppose.
Reaction score
In order...

Loomis, Broderick, Azagthoth, Cooley, Petrucci, Smyth, Vai, Nilsson (from Scar Symmetry), Jarzombek, Cazares, Bulb, Suicmez, Raatikainen, Muenzner, Karlsson (ex-Spawn of Possession), and then some...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
For me, it was korn and fear factory. After that came all the other well know guitar playes that are already mentioned by other :p

Stresspill

Sig Addict
Reaction score
Discovered KoRn around 2002 and Deftones when they released the self titled (first one to feature 7's) in 2003. Now I have a K7, K5, and 2 Stef Carpenter models! :p

ZackP3750

Reaction score
Back in the day, I wanted to have a 7 string only so I could play Staind songs (hahaha, I know, right?), as they were my bread and butter in high school. I never got one during those years and my 7 string want faded away, but within the past 2 years I've been longing again. If I had to pinpoint "who" inspired me, I'd put major emphasis on Tosin Abasi and Bulb. Those 2 have completely changed my interpretation of what a 7 string is meant for, and have morphed my playing all around. I used to think it was all about chugging, but now I focus more on Jazz and progressive stuff.

oh yeah, and John Petrucci. Can't forget John Petrucci :bowdown:

SJT2

Luthier Vandross
Reaction score
Carcass: Heartwork. That album made me see there was a lot more that can be done on a 7 string than what was being done. Vai used 7 strings back in the day but if you look up tab to any of his old songs he barely used the low B string. Also old At The Gates. Not many other bands were doing things like this in the early 90's.

ayambakar

The Giver of Likes
Reaction score
Petrucci, definitely. Glass Prison intro never gets old.

Tosin Abasi & Bulb, for the mix of jazz chords and shred - showing that 7-strings are not only for chugging or mindless shredding.

Jeff Loomis, neo-classical technicality.

the need to play low-tuning songs, like All That Remains or Freak Kitchen.

those people are actually the reason why I joined this site. I can't wait to be 18 and be able to drive around to music stores, trying out all kinds of 7-strings.
I really plan to get one. :D

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
Carcass: Heartwork. That album made me see there was a lot more that can be done on a 7 string than what was being done. Vai used 7 strings back in the day but if you look up tab to any of his old songs he barely used the low B string. Also old At The Gates. Not many other bands were doing things like this in the early 90's.

Both Carcass and At the Gates technically had down-tuned six strings :)

first time I heard/saw seven strings and fell in love - Morbid Angel - Covenant and Dream Theater - Awake.

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
Hmm... I had just seen them in stores and magazines so I asked my teacher and he said "Theyre for playing music like Avenged Sevenfold without having to drop tune."

Boy was he off :p John Petrucci created the interest for me, I always wanted one, but recently when EVERYONE started playing them is when the urgency to have one was created.

MED

Reaction score
My teacher definitely was "the straw that broke the camel's back" for me to switch over to seven strings. His band Zero Hour particularly their new album Dark Deceiver. I was kinda locked into the idea that sevens were mostly nu-metal guitarist territory, with a minority of shredders.

Treeunit212

Not your bro, bro.
Reaction score
The thing that really sold me on it was seeing And Hell Followed With live when my band played with them in Detroit. I ended up buying his exact same guitar. :hbang:

timbaline

My name isn't Tim
Reaction score
Chris Broderick- He was my teacher and taught me using his 7's all the time, and I thought they were awesome. When I first heard Vai though, I really knew I wanted a 7.

So, I guess it's a mix of Chris Broderick and Steve Vai.

Chris Kult

Reaction score
Chris Broderick- He was my teacher and taught me using his 7's all the time, and I thought they were awesome. When I first heard Vai though, I really knew I wanted a 7.

Chris Broderick as a teacher!!!! Lucky mother!

exordium

Reaction score

Whoa! :hbang: :metal: :shred:

:fawk:

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
KoRn gave me the idea, Fear Factory gave it relevance, and then my physical size and desire to play in the first 5 frets did the rest.

')