Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarman700

Reaction score
For me, it was jack Owen's playing in Cannibal Corpse, specifically the Vile Album, that got me interested in 7's. Vile was the first death metal album I ever bought, cause' I thought the cover art was cool. Popped it in my stereo. Blew my fucking mind.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Keith Merrow at first blew my godamn brains out, then Jeff Loomis came along with a swift kick in the nuts
Never knew that Jack Owen or Pat O' Brien (said he never really liked them) had 7's so now im going to add them too
and Trey Azagthoth too, HUGE fucking sound

MarkoZed

Reaction score
Keith Merrow, Pertucci, Loomis, TesseracT, Bulb, Periphery, Haunted Shores, etc.
I play in standard (BEADGBE), but plan to drop it...

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Nergal from Behemoth, several friends who own a seven strings.

I'll have the cash in about a month, can't wait to buy my first seven strings!

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
Fredrik Thordendal and Marten Hagstrom from Meshuggah, not because of the way they used them but they way they described them in the songwriting process, "opening up new doors and possibilities" as Hagstrom once said.

Ntbillie

Reaction score
Jeff Loomis and Stephen Carpenter were mainly the ones who inspired Me to go out and buy a Seven. But later on obviously Meshuggah,Korn and Wes Borland kinda influenced my playing style and approach to a seven string.

Alcmiller

Reaction score
Actually it was Dave Weiner- a guy who play(s/ed) with vai. I'd never seen one until I saw his and for some reason the concept just enchanted me.

darkraneman

Reaction score
KoRn... Pathetic I know. But now I'm into better stuff. Tosin Abasi, wee bit 'o Loomis, other metal bands.

Defi

Reaction score
Korn and Limp Bizkit turned me off of 7-strings for a LONG time.
Same, and that power is still in control. HOWEVER, I have always loved Emperor's Prometheus album but assumed it was downtuned and never bothered to learn it. Lo an behold I found out it was a 7 string endeavor. Now I can't shake the desire to get one, and it will probably not disappear until I try it out.

Ihsahn's After is pretty damn good too, but I can't for the life of me see going beyond 7 strings.

izdashit

Reaction score
It was Nevermore and Morbid Angel that tempted me to get a 7 back in 2005, but I said "naaah, I wouldn't play the low B that much anyway (yes I was a noob)". Then I got into Meshuggah, tempted again and once I was considering again "naaaah my band's tuned to D anyway".

Fast forward a few years later. Muhammed started using them and I said "fuk it Im gonna buy one nao!!!". That was the last straw lol. :fawk:

Now my band uses 7's strictly haha.

Rob_Ec

Banned
Reaction score
for me it was Fredrik Thordendal mainly and fell silent/monuments/Tesseract for the most part they use the seven and 8 lol as it should be used in a better approach to writing music.I dont really see the point of shredding on them like a six string **cough**not gunna name any lol but in a way of it being used better for song writting than for just all these idiot 6 string scales with 2-4 added notes lol thats retarded but it is what it is! thats what made me do the *switch* lol

Abhimanyu

Reaction score
Per Nilsson, Jeff Loomis, Chris Broderick & Buz McGrath!

nostealbucket

aint no gahdam woman
Reaction score
Petrucci, Tosin Abasi, After the Burial, DJENTDJENTDJENTDJENT...., and a random band called Tangaroa.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Oooo tricky. Dream Theater's Awake album and The Glass Prison, Steven Carpenter's tones, Fredrik Thordendal and the Meshuggah boys, Jeff Loomis and Nevermore, Cannibal Corpse.

Haven't actually used it in a fully functioning metal project so far, just got my hard rock thing going, but all that is changing in the next month as we start a Death Metal project :)

Shanster695

Left Handed Shredder
Reaction score
First time I even heard of a seven-string was the Steve Vai 7-string demo video that I'm sure everybody has seen.

I went through life saying "ahh there's no such thing as a left-handed seven string..." then one day...BOOM

Schecter C7FR

')