Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
jeff loomis of nevermore probably.

when i started listening to nevermore, i really started liking those lower notes, before i never really liked going lower than D on my 6 (but i also had a shitty amp at the time that couldn't really handle anything lower than D without sounding loose and undefined)

bulb's stuff also definitely made me want a seven more, haha

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't remember exactly, but back when I started playing (before I got introduced to most of the bands I'm into now) I was heavily influenced by Fear Factory and stuff like that. I think it had more to do with the fact that most bands I was into at the time tuned to B or lower though, weather they used 7s or not. I pretty much started tuning down the day I picked up a guitar, I just never liked standard tuning.

:yesway: :agreed:

Lucky Seven

Lucky☆Seven
Reaction score
Probably my main one is Dave Weiner, seeing him live was amazing, The others would be Uli Jon Roth (I want a sky guitar so bad!), and John Petrucci.

Stephen

Collibus/Scar Symmetry/Ex-Devin Townsend
Reaction score
Well at first i used to tune my 6 strings down to B standard but when i did that i was unhappy due to the range which i lost so that was one of the reasons. But guitarists at the time were John Petrucci, Rusty Cooley and Jeff Loomis

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
Trey Azagthoth and Jack Owens. Those two had a major influence in getting a 7-string. Mainly the UV7BK

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
ive wanted one ever since I first started playing, since I listened to a lot of Limp Bizkit, Korn and Orgy around then ( I was 10).
I was told to learn how to play a six-string first by my parents. (they probably hated the low b)
But when I recently got one, it was Petrucci, Vai, Cooley, and maybe a small amount of Dino that really got me into it.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Satan *sips wine*

Actually no one really influenced me to go 7. I heard that Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel used them, but I got my first 7 after playing for about 6 months. My reasoning was "So, I can learn Carcass and other down tuned songs, and then try to learn other songs made for a 6 string in standard tuning? Sign me up!". It just made logical sense :shrug:

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
no one.

when i bought my first guitar, an Ibanez RG570, i gave my dad's guitar to my brother, which was an LP copy. now, with a trem, i couldn't drop D to play Tool anymore, so i was in the market for a fixed bridge guitar.

being a Jemsiter at the time, i scoped and scoped, and found some guy selling a fixed bridge RG, but it had 7 strings. i thought, "hmm, for $250 i can't go wrong!" a couple weeks later i had my RG7621, and instantly fell in love :wub:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Sadly it wasn't until I found this place that the bug bit.

I blame you all. :squint:

:wub:

')