Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
I might have already posted to this one but, 'The Mirror/Lie' by Dream Theater and 'God Of Emptiness' by Morbid Angel pretty much sealed the deal for me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I've got really long arms with big hands and thick fingers. It's also kind of a comfort issue for me to have a neck that's a bit thicker and wider (sometimes longer as well). There's an old saying too that could easily work for 6 vs. 7: better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I'm the same way.

+1 :agreed:

Robotechnology

Reaction score
Dream Theater: Awake was the 1st time I'd heard 7-Strings used in not just a chug chugga way, other than the limited 7 play time on Steve Vai's Passion & Warfare. These 2 CD's are what got me interested in 7's. Nevermore also came along and kept it fresh with This Godless Endeavor.

sonofabias

Reaction score
When I was a kid it was George Van Eps, the great jazz guitarist whose method book I discovered at a friends house, then Vai made me aware of its electric potential but Loomis and Petrucci made me really want to try playing one and I finally started this summer with my first one, a Carvin Dc 747 c. Now I'm so addicted to it that I often forget to play my six's!:agreed:

Reece Fullwood

Guitar Gymnast
Reaction score
I'd blame Rusty Cooley, the chops he does on his geetar are imense, as soon as i tried a 7 i loved the feel of the wider neck and had my mind set on one, ordered the dean RC7 but thats taking ages, so i kept it on order and brought an ibanez to keep me happy for the meanwhile. Gonna make it a project guitar asoon as the dean arrives, emg, paintjob, all that lot, Rustys cool, and started listening to alot more 7 string player since, i love tuning flat,

Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb,
with guage 8's,
the lighter the strings the easier and faster you can play! :)

14strings

UV7+AXE-FX+Mesa= :)
Reaction score
John petrucci and trey azogoth. Met them both saw treys and John held mine (was going to get him to sign it but HE talked me out of it!!! DOH!!!)

Dr. Von Goosewing

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess it was Fear Factory that first made me aware of seven strings, this was around the same time I was starting to downtune sixes but I still sometimes like to play in E, so I figured why not just get a guitar that covers all bases? Then I heard Emperor's last album, once i found out that was done with 7's I was sold!

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Joe Satriani, Unearth, and Dream Theater

I remember trying to learn a part of "Mind Storm" then I figured out it was a seven and was like "that's fucking awesome":hbang: . Then someone I worked with introduced me to Unearth and for the longest time i thought they played dropped tuned sixes:nuts: until I looked up some youtube videos and that got me thinking about the advantages of seven strings :idea: (not having to drop tune, extra range, etc). Then I went out and bought a bunch of Dream Theater CD's and decided I had to have a seven:shred:

(I love the variety of smilies)

Andretti

Reaction score
The only person who inspired me to even look at Ibanez was my guitar teacher Rusty Cooley, now I bought his guitar and have been shredding it ever since for years.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
When they first came out with the Universe, upon the release of Whitesnake's record with Vai and Passion & Warfare, I thought, "man, I'm still working on 6" but then the band I joined Gateway whom eventually became Prodigal Son in 1994, we were downtuning to DGCFAD on 1/2 the set. I was listening to Awake by Dream Theater quite a bit during that era, so later on I wanted to have the option of exploring more range on one instrument, so I got my first 7 on 2000, an ESP/LTD F207.

Aled Smith

Reaction score
Chris Broderick also John Petrucci also i kind of influenced myself, i really wanted to be different so i went out and swapped my Dean Razorback for an ibanez rg1527

')