Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
i'll admit... i bought a 7 string initially around the time korn's 1st album came out... then i sold it... haven't had one or almost 10 years now (went thru a shred phase and didn't wanna just chug on the B like an asshole)... now i've recently gotten back into them after hearin' what loomis and broderick can do with one...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I would say Steve Vai, then Dino Cazares....

But then I met Jona Nido from Switchback / The Ocean and this guy is just amazing on the 7 string...

So he became my inspiration :hbang:

www.myspace.com/theoceancollective

l_144d9f198f496d0183c2f3e9fbaabf80.jpg

Mb_

Reaction score
Well I haven't bought a 7 yet, but probably this week I have ordered one!

I really really like Mats Haugen from Circus Maximus. Great Progmetal-band. He and John Petrucci is the reason why I want to play 7 string now!

naavanka_

Reaction score
The guys from Meshuggah but the the last push came from Mokoma´s kuoleman laulukunnaat album, the guitars just sound soooo good in that so i had to have one.

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
when i was in middle school like 12 years ago i was into Korn...always wanted a 7...never got one until about 7months ago though..

now its more like bands like Aeon, Beneath The Massacre, Whitechapel, Loomis/Broderick..

junnnu

Reaction score
Well. In spring 2006 my friend introduced a band called Stam1na to me. And suprise they use 7-string guitars.

earlyer i did considered tuning from e to b, but still wanted to play from standard tuning.
needles to say 7 was a perfect answer for me, and so i traden my rr3+cash to sc607
rest is history. The sc607 was last nail to our band and it finally got started.

I play in standard tuning headghe.

wildchild

Reaction score
I changed to 7 because of Slipknot as I was fed up of tuning so low so I decided to try a seven string

Its weird as I never got into 7 string bands till later

bulletbass man

Classical & Metal
Reaction score
skinhead, I just saw "Drew I <3 you" scroll by in your signature. What the fuck? :lol:

For me, well, Vai certainly intrigued me with "Passion and Warfare," and I got interested in lower registers while transcribing a Strangers With Candy (now the band formerly known as Lifer, not sure what they go by these days) song, tuning my Strat's E down to the pitch of the song (which turned out to be B), retuning to match, and playing an open E (now B) through my clean channel and hearing the biggest sounding chord of my life.

But really, it was mostly the symmetry of the guitar - on some level it always kind of bugged me that the guitar didn't have a middle string. When I first saw a seven, I sort of thought "Oh..." I liked the greater range, and I liked the symmetrical layout of strings on the neck, so I sold a 520 I owned for my first 7620, and immediately found about 48 other reasons why sevens rule.

Vince. :wub:

Nah, actually, most of it was just I dug the symmetry of a "middle" string. also, I'd been transcribing a Strangers With Candy tune in B, tuned my strat down, and thought it sounded massive.

I was paging thru this for some odd reason and I relized Drew answered this thread twice. :lol:

robotsatemygma

myspace.com/pygar1
Reaction score
Long story.

Korn and being heavy inspired me to buy a Squier 7 string in high school, which I traded in for a Double Fat strat like a week later.

Then I got into Fear Factory, and the whole death metal scene and started tuning my 6 down to A. Which just sucked ass and didn't last too long. 4 years later I eventually got into the jazzier side of things and Dillinger Escape Plan, bought some LTD's and kept in standard E. I was introduced to Charlie Hunter by a show on BET Jazz. I was just astonished by his technique and tone and he greatly influenced me into playing my guitar (tuned to E) in a different way I was used too.

Realizing I finally hit a brick wall with advancing on a 6 string (the way I want to play), I succumbed and bought a 7 string to realize my goal.

At the moment (since I've only had a 7 string for 4 days now), I've been tuning to AEADGBE, as the drop A makes it easier to accent my chord work for all this 7 string jazz I've been researching, and it makes great for the brOOtALZzz. Also I can play the Self Titled Deftones album this way too (with adjustments). :shred:

bhuba135

Reaction score
i started becoming interested in 7s because of The Glass Prison by Dream Theater. Bought two sevens within two years after, carvin 727 and fernandes revolver pro 7. Nothing is better then that open low b power chord:metal::hbang::metal:

Then after Dream Theater, i found Nevermore, Unearth, and new Sonata Arctica, and i was sold forever!...

...Until i got a :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:Caparison Horus HGS :agreed::agreed::hbang::hbang::shred::shred:

leipzig175

Reaction score
To get more range for a special typr of minor chord that I have no idea what it's called. It helps with the music I'm writing.
Also so I wouldn't have always detune my Warlock. 8 gauge strings(which I also have on the 7) get really floppy.....

I play in standard tuning since I bring it to my guitar lessons, and it's hard to tune down with a Floyd Rose.

Reaction score
First it was KoRn....But then I stopped using them for a long time...In April of 2008 my (now former) band was on tour with Mushroomhead, and after hanging out with and watching Gravy every night he got me interested in them again...So I've been using them on everything lately.

Reaction score
There weren't any bands that inspired me to do it. I just happened to join a band that used them. Once I got my own, I absolutely fell in love with them. I haven't used anything but the 7 ever since.

Shinto

ss.org lurker
Reaction score
Petrucci, Vai, Broderick, every gothenburg melo-death band ever.

* ShawnF knows that a many of the gothenburg melo-death bands actually just used sixes tuned to b, but he liked the idea of playing their material without having to sacrifice the higher range.
:agreed:

')