Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No single player, just makes sense seeing as you you can play 6 string stuff on a 7 but not vice versa. Increase the possibilities can only be a good thing.

I'm a fan of alot of 7 string players however. Meshuggah were probably the main ones.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BoTpBeAtMh

Reaction score
I always wanted one after hearing Meshuggah, Periphery, Textures, etc. but Sol Niger Within really did it for me.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Herrick absofuckinglutely detests tuning down guitars. This laziness kept me from learning songs I loved that were tuned down. I'm also a big fucking fan of Zero Hour. These are the reasons why I now have a 7-String :fawk:

Dru_WaXaW

Reaction score
Devin Townsend, Meshuggah, Kenny from Type O Negative, Textures, and my own need to get more chug on the new WaXaW stuff.

Scookers

Reaction score
Trey Azagthoth had something to do with it. I believe Cannibal Corpse was using them around that time too. I wanted to have the downtuned guitar without downtuning. I remember it was a huge fad when I picked mine up. I bought a 7 string Rogue on a whim from musicians friend and I have been hooked ever since. I think that was in 97 or 98? That was my main axe all of the way through college. The flavor of the week was Korn and Limp Bizkit and shit like that. I despised nu-metal. I was more into thrash and death metal. And that sound Trey had on Covenant and Domination was insane!

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Jeff Loomis... I heard nevermore and thought "its heavy, but not mindless brutality like drop tuning players..." i traded in my jackson rr3 for a Washburn WG-587

Reaction score
Matt Heafy, Tosin Abasi and the dudes from After the Burial. Yeah, I know you guys are gonna get pissed at me for listing a guy from Trivium, but I don't care. :hbang:

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
I discovered the existence of 7 string guitars through Wes Borland (was really into Limp Bizkit long time ago), then I discovered KoRn which I really liked. I played music from both bands on heavily drop tuned 6 stringers and everything was great.

I guess the artist/musician/band who made me buy my first 7 string was the danish metal act Mnemic. Buying their debut album was literally an eyeopener for me, it's one of my top 3 all time favorite album (Periphery takes 1.), and I just knew that I needed to buy a 7 string and play music like them! :)

Mircea (one of the guitarists from Mnemic) is one of my big idols! ^^
Mircea%20Eftemie.jpg

and I guess this is the track that really caught my attention
Mnemic - Liquid

and not so long ago I did my own cover of that very track which inspired me so much! xD
Rasmus Yde - Liquid (Mnemic cover)

thatguy87

DjentyGoodness
Reaction score
Chris. Fucking. Storey.

and now i take lessons from him.

still no 7 right now tho... I'm not advanced enough D: can't even get those sweeps workin for me yet.... all in due time :'/

Gasgiant

[(o_O)]
Reaction score
At first maybe Steve Vai but more importantly the allmighty Meshuggah. Both more or less first ones to do their own things with 7- and 8-stringers.

TJV

Reaction score
I have to say it was Korn. Nowadays I think they have lost their touch of doing music.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Tosin Abasi is what made me want a 7 string. I want an 8 string guitar too but I can't afford one. I got my 7 string from trading in a KH 602 signature series to Guitar Center and I got my Ibanez RG7321 as a straight up trade.

xMaNgOxKusHx

Reaction score
When Necrophagist came onstage with 7-string guitars at summer slaughter in 2008, I immediately ordered one.

sonofabias

Reaction score
:agreed:I heard a recording called the Seven String Guitar of George Van Eps which was around our house, when I was about six and wanted a seven sooo bad even though I had no idea what to do with it LOL ! I also had a copy of George Van Eps guitar method , which just turned up at our house . I never knew how it got there to this day.:cool:

Latest posts

')