Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thedonal

Reaction score
Petrucci for me. The Glass Prison in particular. I might never quite attain the skill to play the arps at full speed, but that earthy, crunching rhythm part just did it for me! As I am also a major swinger to the 7 string.

Vai too, but less so than JP.

It's just taken me a few years to get there! :shred:

Zorkuus

Reaction score
Korn

Although I haven't listened them much at all in years, they were the first on the 7 string scene that I ever saw and heard (apart from Steve Vai but I didn't care for his music at the time). When I first saw Munky and Head holding a Universe in some promo photo, and then listening to their first two records, I knew I had to get one. I didn't, they were too expensive, but sometime later I used half of my student loan on an RG7620 and ever since 6 stringers have been a secondary instrument for me. Fast forward 11-12 years and I am currently saving up for a Universe.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
I have no problem using 6 strings with a longer scale, Dino is the main reason I play 7 for sure

McHeathen

masterblaster
Reaction score
gotta say jeff loomis, ihsahn's latest solo album, and them dudes in periphery did it for me. i'm not a "djenter", not by a longshot (EMG'S FTW HAHA) but the idea of using a 7 string guitar to further elaborate on a composition or extend the range of a riff rather than using it to bludgeon people with the low string appealed to me.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Revising my old answer, Haji's Kitchen in general got me into 7 strings, or at least opened the gate in my mind, Loomis just helped seal the deal.

wayward

Banned
Reaction score
Loomis
Cooley
Broderick
Vai
Petrucci

Those are mainly the reason I picked up a 7.
I've only had it for 3 months, and I'm already addicted and want 4 or 5 more.
I'm tuned for G.D.G.C.F.A.d, may need some heavier strings

Now my influences i'm listening to are purely

WhiteChapel
Meshuggah
Animals as Leaders
Outworld
Nevermore
Dream Theatre

Xifter

Reaction score
Keith Merrow is who ultimately made me come to grips that I needed a 7.

However, as a kid I listened to Wes Borland and Korn which also lead to my taste and love for the low stuff.

I was also a frequent visitor to bulbs myspace page that I ran across while browsing youtube. This was way way back when...

klami

Reaction score
Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Mercenary and Korn basically.
I keep my seven rockin' in drop-A :agreed:

Erick Kroenen

Reaction score
i wanted to explore so my first 7 was jeff's sig...
now i play an agile elite only coz is thinner .....

jeff loomis, Micheal romeo, Chris broderick, and stephan forte

and bands that play with 6 but dropped tunningss...

killswitch engage, archenemy (my favorite)

musicaldeath

Herald of Djod
Reaction score
Initially it would be Petrucci and Loomis, mostly due to watching the live dvd version of Dance of Eternity. More recently, Acle Kahney as I love everything that guy has been and is a part of.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
For me it's not necessarily about who as why...but if I were to label a "who" I'd say my 1st baritone (sub drop-d) songs were on DT's Awake album (specifically Lie & Caught in a Web). I didn't get inspiration until I hit the rut and decided to start attempting to re-invent myself. Then, it was & is Jeff Loomis and still Petrucci (to a lesser degree).

Wyldefan916

Reaction score
For me it was reading up on Megadeth's Chris Broderick. I love Megadeth, but I had no idea they had gotten a new guitarist until I watched The Big 4 DVD and saw him. I then watched some video's of him on YouTube playing a 7 and I was blown away. Also from watching him I landed on Jeff Loomis, and I must say I was blown away even more. These 2 guys are the reason I decided to start playing 7's.

')