Who inspired you to play seven?

• Thread starter PlanetJeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FoxZero

Zero Imperfections
Reaction score
Steve Vai.
Shame he doesnt really play 7strings live much (or ever) anymore.

That's sad, yeah I always see pics of him with a six. Probably just for endorsment deals or somethin, I have a hard time goin back to my 6 nowadays, I try to play drop D stuff in B standard instead.

About a month after I got my electric six years I wanted a baritone so I could tune to B. Needless to say when I first started researching the 7 it was beyond perfect.

I could I have known one string could make such a difference. I have a totally different approuch now for the past couple of months since I got mine. I've been gasin for years but I'm glad I waited because I love the one I settled with and It's thanks to this place I found it!

heffergm

Reaction score
Pretty awesome! Much better than sad! You accent your notes really well IMO. I'd just work on the vibrato and the right hand tapping.

Yeah, noted. I've only been playing 6 months after a 10 year hiatus, so things are a bit rusty.

wlminter

Not a mod
Reaction score
Rusty - effin - Cooley. Once I saw him, and learned that he only played 7s, I almost immediately forsook 6 stings... that is, If a 6 wasn't my only guitar... :(

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw an F-207 at Mars (big music chain that went out of business) and had to play it. I'd been playing for a few years and the only 7 string stuff I knew about was Korn. And of course I wasn't a fan. So I pulled it off the wall, jammed a bit, and gave it a new home on my guitar stand. I got tired of playing 7 strings, so I sold it off and went back to 6's. Now I'd kill to get that guitar back.

Adamh1331

RED.
Contributor
Reaction score
It would have to be Korn for me.

I absolutely loved the sound they was gettin out of one so i had to have one and haven't went back since.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
well, Korn was the first time I had actually heard of a 7 string guitar, but it never thrilled me that much. Then I started hearing about Petrucci, Vai, which got my attention. But it wasn't until I heard Nevermore that I really WANTED a 7-string, and wanted one badly!

FoxZero

Zero Imperfections
Reaction score
That means you'll sell me the warlock :idea:

You'd have to sell me that Bich then, but I see we're both quite happy with our axes so I don't see either transaction being completed anytime soon. :fawk:

Seriously though you have such an eye on my Warlock I'm getting a bit nervous. :ugh:

Reaction score
I hate to admit it, I wanted one because of the low sound Korn could get with it, tuning down to A. Although I don't listen to them anymore. I like the fact they play their bar-chords with three notes. I found Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare in my room. Thats when I was 14 or 15 That was another reason to get a 7-string. After that I really got into Fear Factory. And then Meshuggah bumped it up a level, by adding a note. And making a four note bar-chord. In 2000 what really compelled me to get a 7-string was Dream Theater and Nevermore.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I first thought about it of course when Korn and Limp Bizkit where getting big. But it wasn't until a couple years ago when Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor came out that I really started thinking about it as a serious possibility. It was the first time I really heard a 7 string be fully utilized. Nobody plays it like Loomis, not even Petrucci (and believe me, I LOVE Petrucci, my father knows quite well that ultimately Petrucci is my ultimate favorite player, but he doesn't use the string like Loomis).

John_Strychnine

I Was Once Groove.
Reaction score
A change of Seasons by Dream Theater
Sane by Meshuggah

bought a 7420 originally for like £180 brand new from music123 when they got discontinued.
Sold it a month later coz it was Pink :squint:
I REALLY wish i hadn't sold it.

:wallbash: :fullofit: HAHAHA this smiley is amazing!

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Trey Azagtoth. Morbid Angel's God of Emptiness.

I really wanted to get one when i was 18, but they'd discontinued them at that point, and ebay but was a twinkle in some programmers eye. I remember pouring over the ibanez catalogues (yes, before 't internet). UV7BK. Had to be the one.

Reaction score
I was a bass player....(holy shit I just said "was!") Anyway, I was a 5er who used the B string a lot, and playing a guitar that didn't have one was stupid. So a 7er was the most logical choice. Wasn't trying to be special or "different" or whatever.:shrug:

Mesh' just happen to come at the perfect time and put a staple in my choice.

Addie5150

Amidst the chaos
Reaction score
I heard it for the first time on Dream theatre's Lie and then heard Steve Vai play one.
But i d have to say it was only after hearing Fear Factory and Nevermore did i want to play one.
After i heard Meshuggah i had to have one.

ghoti

Electric Eclectic
Reaction score
Wasn't really one specific person. I saw a seven-string or two at Guitar Center back when I was just a bassist, but the feel wasn't too great, the low string was floppy, and the sound was mediocre at best.

I heard some of Korn's stuff, and thought it was cool, but you could do similar things on a detuned 6 (to my thinking anyway). Then I heard Steve Vai doing his thing on one and I figured maybe they can sound half-decent. I heard John Petrucci and Dream Theater and they were almost good enough to make me forgive the awful vocalist. I figured maybe I could try to pick up a cheap 7 and see if I liked it...I'm a pretty mediocre guitarist anyway so it's not like learning a 7 would be harder than really learning how to play 6, just a few extra notes...

I've got really long arms with big hands and thick fingers. It's also kind of a comfort issue for me to have a neck that's a bit thicker and wider (sometimes longer as well). There's an old saying too that could easily work for 6 vs. 7: better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

')