Who is the best guitarist with the worst technique?

• Thread starter Rubbishplayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
While this topic has often come up in reverse (e.g. such'n'such has great technique but no soul), I can't find anywhere this question has been asked.

So seeing as we all seem to enjoy 22 page rant wars, I thought I'd inaugurate the debate by humbly submitting.....Pat Metheny. It doesn't get much better that this.

P.S: To the mods, apologies if I've violated any rules, as I think this is my first thread and I'm only 85% sure I know the rules well enough. Please dispose as you see fit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
What about his technique that you find to be of inverse quality to his music?

I think if you're playing what you want without the tendons in your hands & arms exploding like a can of spring snakes, then the technique is good.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Not sure if "bad" but Marty Friedman plays like an alien.

I don't know how he picked up a guitar and thought, "yeah, this is how you do it."
First thought that came to my head.

Also shoutout to John Petrucci, dedicated pinky anchorer. Any time I hear someone on the internet say "don't anchor your pinky" I just think about how JP is better than them at guitar

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Well
What about his technique that you find to be of inverse quality to his music?

I think if you're playing what you want without the tendons in your hands & arms exploding like a can of spring snakes, then the technique is good.
Well I doubt anyone observing his right hand technique would argue it was a model to follow. Even Pat himself touched on it in an interview (perhaps with tongue in cheek) when asked about his right hand technique, joking that he should get lessons in sweeping (I think it was in Guitar Player magazine).

Of course you'll understand that at the other end, my opinion is that he's arguably the greatest improvisor on guitar alive today.

And yes, it's the "spread" that is interesting. 🙂

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Not sure if "bad" but Marty Friedman plays like an alien.

I don't know how he picked up a guitar and thought, "yeah, this is how you do it."
Agreed. love Friedman.

Vernon Reid also comes to mind. Love his style but a lot of it sounds gibberish sometimes. Love him and respect him so much though.

')