Who left their collection in this storage locker?

• Thread starter mikernaut
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Any legal shenanigans? Seems a super terrible bad place to keep guitars.
I have no desire to watch the video, but there is a lot of climate controlled storage facilities in the US now, especially in areas with less than ideal climates.

Also as someone who used to participate in the lien sale game, please everyone don’t run out and try it. It mostly sucks. It is literally gambling.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have no desire to watch the video, but there is a lot of climate controlled storage facilities in the US now, especially in areas with less than ideal climates.

Also as someone who used to participate in the lien sale game, please everyone don’t run out and try it. It mostly sucks. It is literally gambling.
Fair, but that unit wasn't indoors, the door opened directly outside. It didn't look well insulated. You may still be right, but my guess is no good.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
This seems like there's probably a bad ending here. They said they did a search under the guy's name, and just came up with a doctor. I'm wondering if he died, and no one knew he had these? I can't imagine another situation in which this makes sense. There's well over six figures of guitars in there.

I would have taken those KxKs for SURE. Those were super cool.

I just spent a little time trying to google to see who might have owned a KxK like those, but I'm not seeing it online.

EDIT: Know what I'm sayin'?

Rubbishplayer

Forgive the typos...I'm all thumbs on this thing..
Reaction score
Of course there's no reason to believe that this wasn't staged to get clicks.

After all, it would benefit both the video maker and the real owner (who, assuming they're really alive and well, could've been in on it), in terms of publicity.

Otherwise, it looks more like a speculative investment deal gone wrong (i.e. get loans to acquire premium guitars to sell-on; default on loan; abandon assets due to other pressing priorities). Not necessarily a tragedy behind this.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Of course there's no reason to believe that this wasn't staged to get clicks.

After all, it would benefit both the video maker and the real owner (who, assuming they're really alive and well, could've been in on it), in terms of publicity.
There was some controversy with that show, "Storage Wars", being staged, so the suspicion is reasonable.

Even if there is no staging, there is always a chance that the hit ratio with unit-buying might be misrepresented. How often do these buyers really find units festooned with heirlooms, valuable gear, etc. versus those filled with shit that the owners don't want clogging up their houses but haven't the will to throw out?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I messaged the guitarfinds guy to ask about the kxks. They sold everything except the couple listed as “available” in the video, so this occurred at some point in the past. Maybe that’s when they were on reverb? Which sucks, because I didn’t see them, and I’d have thrown lots of cash at those KxKs!

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
Well sorta. Someone in financial trouble that couldn't afford their container fees. Wondering if all that gear is paid for either.

Only one of us needs to go deep into the red to have us all get some sweet sweet guitars!

SlowTopic539

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
no way. i would never forget about that if it was me. i would have been there everyday. i only have one good guitar so i obv don't need to store it away.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
no way. i would never forget about that if it was me. i would have been there everyday. i only have one good guitar so i obv don't need to store it away.
Exactly. That’s why I don’t think he forgot. And if he could afford those guitars, he wouldn’t have gotten into a situation where he couldn’t afford the payment on the unit. I mean, if he fell on hard times he could just go there, pawn or sell those, and get enough money to pay the rent on the space or whatever.

I think he died, and the next of kin didn’t know he had the space. If he were a single guy that’s highly likely.

I seriously want to get to the bottom of this, because it’s just so weird.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Exactly. That’s why I don’t think he forgot. And if he could afford those guitars, he wouldn’t have gotten into a situation where he couldn’t afford the payment on the unit. I mean, if he fell on hard times he could just go there, pawn or sell those, and get enough money to pay the rent on the space or whatever.

I think he died, and the next of kin didn’t know he had the space. If he were a single guy that’s highly likely.

I seriously want to get to the bottom of this, because it’s just so weird.

I guess you could just find some of the Reverb for sale ads and ping the sellers to see if there's a common buyer. I think a link to the video would be enough to dismiss any ill-intentions.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
YouTuber seems a douche. Thought it mightn’t be a business due to tunings written on painters tape on at least one case… but maybe it’s second hand inventory? Maybe the owner passed away?

')