Who makes a heavy (0.60 +)7 string set?

• Thread starter pantera95
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

daniboy

what?!?
Reaction score
prices are astronomical in oz for strings. i second the notion of naked strings or use your favourite set and get the gauge of your choice (.060, .068 or .070 in bulk of 12) for the low a from Nickel Guitar Bulk Strings

and yes, they do ship to oz.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DraggAmps

Reaction score
Since we pretty much have to custom order strings anyway, I just get a good 10's set of my liking, and then add a single low strings of my choice. I've used JustStrings with success, but their site can be hard to navigate and this last time, I don't know if the site was just too hard and I couldn't find a setup that worked for me, or if their supply had changed, but I ended up trying a new dealer called Strings and Beyond and they were GREAT! Good site, huge selection, and they were VERY fast. Free shipping, a little magnet included so I can remember what their name is next time I need to order, etc. I will be using them again. I got a set of 10 D'Addario 10-sets for a really good price and it came with a pretty dang nice Planet Wave's Pro Winder which is a string winder with included string clipped that seems to be pretty nice and hefty. Then, I just ordered a bunch of individual .68's.

Connor

Guy
Reaction score
I'm in Australia too and its a bitch to get decent strings especially for 7 or 8s.
If I'm in desperate need I'll buy a d'addario set for 6, then billy hyde stores hold single roundwound strings up to 80s (works nice in an 8 string)
So yeah, just ask them, and they'll hook you up.
Otherwise I order ALL my strings from strings and beyond.
Takes about a week and a half to get here but even with shipping its cheaper that most Aussie stores, especially if you buy 10+ sets at a time ;)

DraggAmps

Reaction score
I'd love to do what alot of you said, and get a regular pack (10-52) and a 0.64 or something, but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells single heavy gauge strings.

Check out Strings and Beyond. Most professional string supplier site I've found with good prices, easy to navigate, great selection, and fast, free shipping.

Basically the exact opposite of Snake Oil Brand strings, LOL. Snake Oil are more popular with the blues and rock guys, because I don't think they make gauges suited for 7's or really low tunings, but they're supposed to sound insanely good for a really long time and they're not expensive. Supposed to kick the shit out of Pyramid and similar brands for half the price. However, the catch, as there's always a catch, is they'e the worst business on the face of the Earth. I estimate 1 in every 10-15 people who order their strings actually get their strings. This asshole has given every one of his customers for the past few years the same story about a family emergency and blah blah blah. Apparently he has a family emergency every single day. I emailed him after three months and was given the usual story (the same story people had started hearing years before me) and was told my strings would be immediately sent out. I emailed him about a month ago, now about 7 months since the date I placed my order, and just told him "I'm not mad, I know you're a piece of shit and I knew I would probably never receive my order, but like everyone else, I though I was "special" or "lucky" and would receive my product, and I just want a refund". But I've heard nothing back from him. Anyway, this is a bit off topic but I do not recommend anyone waste their time with Snake Oil Brand strings.

pantera95

Reaction score
Thanks alot for all that info guys. I'm going to order bulk from one of these us string sites, and just have them shipped here. They might take a while to get here, but i'd rather that then be stuck with these standard ernie ball sets.
Thanks again

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
get the d'addario light top heavy bottom 8 string set. it has a .72 (or maybe a .74... idk) for the f# and then .010 - .064 for low b -high e. I usually end up replacing the .064 with a .068 and it works perfect for gnarly drop A riffage :hbang:
This, except I'd use the 74 for A instead of the 64.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks alot for all that info guys. I'm going to order bulk from one of these us string sites, and just have them shipped here. They might take a while to get here, but i'd rather that then be stuck with these standard ernie ball sets.
Thanks again

Shoot an email to the info@labella.com with "Custom String Sets" in the subject and tell them what you're looking at I bet they'll be able to work something for you special since you're stuck down under and want to order in Bulk.:yesway:

BabUShka

Reaction score
I had Addarios 10-59 (7string) set, and it felt ok.. But my impression is that Addario strings are just a little looser than other brands.. I prefer thinner gauge with good tention, such as DR strings and Elixirs for 6 string guitars. But i havent tried any of those on 7 stringer yet..

Right now I use 11-52 DR strings with a D'Addario 66 on bottom for Drop A, and it sounds huge.. Meshuggah-ish sound.

')