Who makes a heavy (0.60 +)7 string set?

• Thread starter pantera95
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pantera95

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm searching for a pack of strings that are heavy enough for my taste. The ernie ball 'regular' 7 string set (10-56, correct me if i'm wrong) is just a little to sloppy for me.

Where can I get myself a heavier set of strings? I tune to drop A, so something over .60 is what i'm after.

The ideal option would be to order a 6 string set, say 10-52, then buy a single heavy string for the low A. However, I can't seem to find anywhere here in Australia where I can buy single strings. Could anyone help me out?

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
get the d'addario light top heavy bottom 8 string set. it has a .72 (or maybe a .74... idk) for the f# and then .010 - .064 for low b -high e. I usually end up replacing the .064 with a .068 and it works perfect for gnarly drop A riffage :hbang:

cicu

Reaction score
I've taken recently a .13-.72 baritone 6 string Ernie BAll set adding a .10 as high E.Unfortunatly .72 is too big for Ibby holes, so I used a .68...sound really Huge!!!:shred:

mlabonte

Reaction score
Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky 6 pack with a Ernie Ball .70 bass string for your lowest string.

sound-byte

Reaction score
or you can make custom string sets at nakedstrings.com. its $20 for 5 sets, so you're getting a good deal too

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
The ideal option would be to order a 6 string set, say 10-52, then buy a single heavy string for the low A. However, I can't seem to find anywhere here in Australia where I can buy single strings. Could anyone help me out?

Thanks
LaBella
[SIZE=-1]HRS-73[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Seven String[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]10 13 17 30w 42w 52w 64w[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] HRS-75[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Seven String[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]11 14 18 36w 46w 52w 70w[/SIZE]

That's prepackaged packs plus you can custom order anything direct from their website here. I posted int he other thread but they said if you're outside the US to just email info@labella.com (Subject Custom Set) and they'll see what the best option is on getting you what you need. :yesway:

Balthier

Reaction score
never tried them, but thought I'd mention dunlop heavy core 7 has 60 on the bottom.

Ulvhedin

Phrygianist
Reaction score
D'addario 10-52 and a loose low B for your likings. I personally like a .64 with that set, but for drop A it might a bit flubbywubby

thatguy87

DjentyGoodness
Reaction score
I've taken recently a .13-.72 baritone 6 string Ernie BAll set adding a .10 as high E.Unfortunatly .72 is too big for Ibby holes, so I used a .68...sound really Huge!!!:shred:

I do the same and unwind the 72 a bit to fit it. no problems and it sounds massive! I'll never go back to 10-42+56 or w/e I used before.

pantera95

Reaction score
I'd love to do what alot of you said, and get a regular pack (10-52) and a 0.64 or something, but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells single heavy gauge strings.

Reaction score
The Daddario flatwounds that were mentioned peaked my interest. I've never used anything but regular roundwound strings, but I really like the 11-65g these come in. Any disadvantages to using these over regular roundwounds? I play death metal, btw.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
The Daddario flatwounds that were mentioned peaked my interest. I've never used anything but regular roundwound strings, but I really like the 11-65g these come in. Any disadvantages to using these over regular roundwounds? I play death metal, btw.

Used those on my Jeff Loomis for a bit before when I had my brief period with GDGCFAD :rolleyes:

It was perfect to be honest, keep in mind that I had a 26.5 inch scale, so if you're playing on a 25.5 and you're tuning to Standard or AEADGBE then it should feel the same way I felt, tight and consistent. The price kind of sucks with shipping at 15$ a pack, but they felt great if you don't mind the price so much.

Reaction score
Well, thanks for the info I'll keep it in mind. But, I ended figuring out how to get a good set of roundwounds. I ordered a set of D'addario XL157 14-68g and a single .11g. And this way all 4 of the heavier strings will be wound, which I like :yesway: And, yeah I play in B standard.

')