• Planet Waves Auto trim

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Other

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
I want to build a guitar in the (distant) future, and there are three tuning machines I'm trying to choose between.

Gotoh SG38 (locking)
Schaller mini locking
Planet Waves Auto trim

Gotohs- Price is about half of the other two.
Schaller- I've heard many good things about them.
PW- higher ratio and string cutting (A gimmick, I know. But it's a cool gimmick. :D) And the 7th is free.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyC

Reaction score

One thing I didn't mention was that this would be a Strat. LSRs don't really fit in with that theme, but thanks. :)

I hope to one day:
carve a new body for it out of swamp ash
routed for Hipshot Contour trem
HSS or SSS

make a new neck
maple
with a rock maple F/B
SS frets- tall and narrow (If I can find them)
trem nut
side dots
reversed inline
tung oiled w/ clear over the headstock (for my logo)
and a logo I may create

basically, building a new guitar part by part. :)

If my math is right (Which it should be :squint:) It'll cost 900 in the end....plus any tools I may need. (But I have a friend who may be able to help me as far as tools go.)

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
Of the ones you mentioned, I'd go with the Schallers, but nothing wrong with Gotoh, either.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I take it you mean you're going for a traditional look?

I've got Black LSRs on my strat-style 6, and I think they look wicked and feel smooth as silk. But then I'm a bit of a geek :spock:

My second choice would definitely be the Planet Waves 'cause I'm really curious to try them.

OzzyC

Reaction score
I take it you mean you're going for a traditional look?

I've got Black LSRs on my strat-style 6, and I think they look wicked and feel smooth as silk. But then I'm a bit of a geek :spock:

My second choice would definitely be the Planet Waves 'cause I'm really curious to try them.

Yeah, basically.

If/ when I play live, I don't want everyone staring at the tuners- they may figure out it's a 7 before I get to the low B/A/ or lower riffage. :evil:
I think it would certainly turn some heads to hear that after I tell people I play a mid-low priced Squier. :D

And besides all that, it's a 7, so I'd have to buy two sets. :noway:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Someone just posted that if you buy planet waves and send them your receipt they will send you the extra tuner for a 7 set at no extra charge, so you don't have to buy 2 sets for 1 tuner! :yesway: Major cool points awarded to them for that. Personally, Sperzel and Schaller make my favorite locking tuners! :agreed:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've had good luck with all three, but I have Sperzels on one guitar and Planet Waves on two. Draw your own conclusions. ;)

OzzyC

Reaction score
Someone just posted that if you buy planet waves and send them your receipt they will send you the extra tuner for a 7 set at no extra charge, so you don't have to buy 2 sets for 1 tuner! :yesway: Major cool points awarded to them for that. Personally, Sperzel and Schaller make my favorite locking tuners! :agreed:

Yeah, that is really cool. But, you may notice that I alluded to that in my first post. ;) When I said that, I was referring to LSRs which AFAIK, doesn't supply extra tuners.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I've made several orders of 7 tuners from LSR. They'll happily send you any number you'd like - I ordered 14 once. They charge an individual tuner price for the extra though, which is not as nice as free like Planet Waves.

Latest posts