Who sings?

• Thread starter bostjan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Do you sing and play?

• Yes, I sing lead and play guitar.

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Yes, but I share lead singing with another vocalist.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Yes, I sing backup most every chance I get.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I sing backup if I have to.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • No way.

Votes: 17 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Miss UV

Reaction score
bostjan said:
Who here is a singer? How did you learn to sing and play? What style do you sing?

I do additional vocals (ie death grunts) in our band Desensitised. I tried out if I could do this when our first singer unexpectedly left the band in '95 and from then on we also use double vocal parts of which I do the low grunts and our singer the screams.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Makelele

Reaction score
I like singing, and I've got a fairly good voice as far as I know. I'm not in a band though.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Makelele said:
I like singing, and I've got a fairly good voice as far as I know. I'm not in a band though.

Want to move to Michigan? It's not much different from Finland, besides a lower income level, lower cost of living, and no reindeer.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
bostjan said:
Want to move to Michigan? It's not much different from Finland, besides a lower income level, lower cost of living, and no reindeer.

Hey! There are reindeer... :rolleyes:

And I doubt 17 year old Makelele is going to just up and move to the states.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Can do vocals while playing (i sound very late 80s death metal.. think possessed). But i never actually do it in a band... Its just something i do to have fun while jamming in the room lol

shredfreak

Reaction score
Wouldn't call it actually singing, but yes i do. Sound somewhere between morbid angel and prostitute disfigurement. Mainly did it since it was a necessity for the upcoming gigs we had and the comments we got where great and i started to like it. Some commented us as death meets suffocation so i don't see a reason of quitting it

Ibanez_fanboy

I want a 1527!!
Reaction score
well i sing, in the choir, and i play lead guitar. just not at the same time, except at church when i do, but they dont give me no mic! :(

bostjan said:
reindeer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::fawk:

Makelele

Reaction score
Ibanez_fanboy said:
well i sing, in the choir, and i play lead guitar. just not at the same time, except at church when i do, but they dont give me no mic! :(

reindeer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::fawk:

Shut up, Kangaroo boy! :fawk:

Reaction score
Lots of classical vocal training. Haven't spent the time on it in years - and when my voice changed, my range died, and the sound got icky.
Death metal (Obituary) and black metal, as well as old death (like Death) and such now . . .

Ibanez_fanboy

I want a 1527!!
Reaction score
Makelele said:
Shut up, Kangaroo boy! :fawk:
i havent seen a kangroo in 5 years. the heck with them road kill. actully my dog found a kangaroo tail in the paddock across the river last month, still got it in the out house he does, stinky bloody thing it is too. once had a koala living under me tractor, so i put it in revese and ate it up? lolz

i had to post in here on the singing note. i had this massive choir rehersal last evening. it was pretty good. the conductor has strict, the pianist hit an E rather than E flat and he stoped everyone, and goes, its an e flat not an E. i was like.... wow. yeah it was good. next tiem i go on night rehersal im going to make a picstory. :cool:

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
When I was in a band, I did growls when we had a doubled shreik/scream/growl/dying sheep thing going on, and when we wanted to have the back and forth effect between growls and screams but still carry them on into the next measure and whatnot.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I did choir in junior high and freshman year. Learned how to harmonize and I've been doing it ever since.

Josh

Contributor
Reaction score
I have to sing because I work alone when I record...but I'm not very good.

Your Majesty

Ibanez Goddess
Reaction score
I used to sing in a heavy metal band called, Metal Queen for 4 years. At first, we strictly did covers, prior to doing our own material, which quickly went to shit, being that, it was fucking impossible for 5 people to agree on one musicial direction. (But that's another story).

Covers we did was anything from the following: Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, (old) Metallica, Judas Priest, Iron Maidden, Led Zeppelein, Testament, ect. So my singing range and depth had to be at par, if not better, with the following vacalists listed from these bands. It wasn't easy and at first, I did place alot of unnecessary strain on my vocal chords, because I wasn't a trained singer. I just had a good voice to sing, so thats what I did, sing. But I had made some amature mistakes; I wasn't breathing and at times, screaming, wasn't the smartest thing I could have done, considering, my range wasn't built and I was just damaging my chords.

So I decided to get vocal training and have a vocal coach for the next 2 years. That helped ALOT and as I began not only understanding how to sing, without fucking up my voice, I improved my range and my depth - so yes, screaming and growling are easy to do NOW but not before.

In other words, emulating Bruce Dickinson or Michael Akerfelt voice is no where near possible because their male singers and I am a female singer. And being that I think Bruce and Mickael are two vocalists who are vocal gods, no one can sing to thier level of range. No one can. You can try, as I did, but it's bitch to get it right, and alot of hard work, to at least, sound 'close' like the original. But you can try. However, trying to emulate their range, depth and style of vocal singing is what I did and what I still do.

Check out the Vocal thread in General. I actually give a basic crash course on vocal training and have listed vocal scales and exercises. I teach vocal training and therefore, I always have students wanting to just scream and growl when they sing. There is nothing wrong with that, but you should always get your vocals prepped before yelling in a mic for the sake of yelling, because you think it sounds good. Another common mistake singers make, is they don't listen. They don't listen to their own vocals while singing and that's important because you will start to train your 'ear' to note the diverse key changes and tone that take place. Not to mention, you'll avoid pissing your band mates by staying on key with the instrument.

You gotta do your vocal exercises before singing, much like, you have to do your practice scales on a guitar and warm up, before you can play and bust out a solo. That type of thing. Good luck.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Your Majesty said:
[/I]Covers we did was anything from the following: Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, (old) Metallica, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Testament, ect. So my singing range and depth had to be at par, if not better, with the following vacalists listed from these bands.

:yesway: I'd like to hear that. :)

drshock

Street-good guy
Reaction score
bostjan said:
Another fine poll brought to you by Bostjan, the maker of fine polls such as 'The Vibato Poll,' 'The Guitar Synth Poll,' and the 'Shameless Pollpostwhore Poll...'

Who here is a singer? How did you learn to sing and play? What style do you sing?

I sing, very poorly. I learned singing and playing by trying for a long time to do it, giving up on the singing part, then trying again once I had the guitar playing part down. I always wanted to be a Power Metal singer, but I tend to end up sounding like a cross between Kurt Cobain, Bon Scott, and David Bowie...but not in a good way.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your tips and hints, or ramblings and bablings, or flames.

Thanks.
U forget the poll option: Lead vocals/ rythum guitar

Anyway I am a lead vocalist for a melodic death/black metal band and can help anyone out with screaming tech if u need it.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
drshock said:
U forget the poll option: Lead vocals/ rythum guitar

Actually that is on the poll. That would be "Yes, I sing lead and play guitar." The phrase "play guitar" means you could be the only guitarist in the band and play both rhythm and lead or you could be 1 guitarist in the band and play lead or rhythm guitar. So, no, he didn't forget the poll option.

I actually sing lead vocals in a powermetal/death metal/thrash metal/goth metal band. Yeah... it completely depends on the song. In one song, I'm doing high pitched and low pitched screams and growls in the most brutal way I can imageine. Then, in the next song, I'm singing very clean and nice with no screaming in a powermetal like setting. Then, the next song is harsher than the powermetal song but not as harsh as the death metalish song with a thrashy feel. And, then there is a song that I wrote but haven't started in the band yet that is very goth metal-style.

Right now I sing and play rhythm guitar, but there is another rhythm guitarist who was helping the band before I joined and he was going to quit before I joined, but after I joined, he ended up not wanting to leave. Which means, that I'm not even playing guitar at all on half of the songs. One day he came and I didn't know he was coming and I had brought my guitar and was all ready to play. So, I was like "okay, we're gonna do this with 3 guitarists." and we did. It was quite interesting. He's a really nice guy and a pretty good guitarist (has a kind of neo-classical soloing style, even though he's mainly a rhythm guitarist), but I kind of wish he'd quit like he had planned on doing, so that I could completely take over rhythm guitar. And I'm not gonna let him play/try to play my original songs (he has a sixer, so he technically couldn't play my songs the way they should be played). The bass player always goes on about how they tried out over 5 different vocalists and I'm the only one who had the vocal range necessary for the music and the type of voice they wanted. I told him "Yeah, but actually I feel I'm more of a guitarist than a vocalist" and he was like "Heyyyy... you gotta focus on singing." and I was like :( "Guitar...." (I love singing, though)

')