Who stayed with 26.5" and didn't feel the need to go longer?

• Thread starter Go To Bed Jessica
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
So, this has been bugging me for a while.

I have a Schecter C8 Hellraiser Special. I really enjoy it - it's a well made instrument, wonderfully resonant and generally great fun to play. I like the girth and shape of the neck, but I also love Ibanez necks in an equal but different way. I do feel the Hellraiser is lacking somewhat in clarity on the low string at drop E (my preferred tuning)... so I've been contemplating picking up another 8 with a longer scale. I have a few questions though:

1) Is it really, really worth moving from a 26.5" scale up to 27.0"? Am I even going to notice the difference? It doesn't seem like a big enough increase to significantly change the feel of the guitar. I have to admit that I'm GASing for a white RG8, but I can't help but wonder if I should be saving for something bigger.

2) Have any of the long term 8 string players on this forum been satisfied with a 26.5" scale and not felt the need for longer scales - or even come back to 26.5" after trying longer scales? If so, what tuning and strings are you using?

3) For the low E I have tried .074 (awful), .090 (better but sounded a bit weird because it was a bass string) and the ZOG drop E set which is somewhere around 100 (guessed, not measured - which was a bit too much tension and rather bassy sounding too). Obviously I need to keep experimenting with strings to find what works and CircleK are next on my list to try. Any other suggestions in this department? For reference, I like 10-52 tuned to standard on 25.5" scale - although this might be a bit overboard for the 8 and I'd be willing to drop a gauge or two to regain some clarity.

4) Should I just keep putting money away for a 28" Schecter instead of mucking about with 27"?

Sorry, that got really rambly. I need sleep.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to offer - you guys are a fountain of knowledge. :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Osorio

Reaction score
I've a Schecter Hellraiser C8 as well, and I too am quite fond of it. However, I have to say that I don't tune normally. I go for the 7+1 kind of tuning, mine being once step lower, so Standard A + G4. I tried to tune the Hellraiser to a Drop E, like you, with a .080 string and found it absolutely AWFUL and downright unplayable. This was my main motivation for going with "alternate" tunings.

If I were you, I would probably try an Agile with 28" scale and see how that feels, or go ahead and drop the dough on a Carvin DC800 (which is 27.5" I believe...).

Sponge

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
Hey man, if you're going drop E, go for the 28" scale. The battle of tension and tone because of thick strings is so easily solved when applied to a longer scale. I have/had guitars with 26.5", 27", 28", and 30". The low E isn't too bad on the 28" and holds the notes better with out the "BEEEEOOOOWWWWWwwww" sound.

There are a few of us Agile fans here that would recommend to check their guitars out as well, for less holes in your pockets, and many options to choose from, and a 28.625" scale length on 7 and 8s.

27" would be a waste of money if you already have a 26.5" In my humble opinion.

Osorio

Reaction score
Ah, I almost forgot... Schecter has the Blackjack SLS for 28" scale 8 string need. I didn't recommend Schecter earlier because I was only thinking of the Hellraiser C8 FR, but the blackjack is a really good guitar if you can get past the inlays.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
27" is fine for drop E. I use .74s and don't have any problems with tension or tone. Half an inch can make a noticeable difference.

You SHOULD be saving, but for a 2228 instead of an RG8 ;)

yellow

Banned
Reaction score
I had a schecter 26.5" scale and sold it immediately to get a 27" and that .5" has made all the difference. I wouldn't go any longer though

Reaction score
I have tried... the ZOG drop E set which is somewhere around 100 (guessed, not measured - which was a bit too much tension and rather bassy sounding too)

Well, according to Zach you're simply a moron and you're not worthy of his strings because you lack the intellectual capacity to appreciate his genius. :lol: :rolleyes:

But yeah, that's the tradeoff with 8-strings, and why the longer the scale, the better, so you can use thinner strings and still have decent tension. I have a 28" Schecter that I bought on-sight at Guitar Center. I didn't realize it was 28" till I got home and looked up the specs out of curiosity. I just figured it was 26.5" like their 7s. That's how easy it was to get used to.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Unfortunately, being an Australian makes both Agile and Carvin difficult propositions. Agile's policy of no returns on international shipping (plus the cost of shipping) is a bit of a disincentive... and it would be way expensive to get a Carvin over here.

The 2228 looks amazing, but there is no way I'm spending that kind of coin only to find that the extra half inch isn't enough. I may pick up an rg8 initially and then look at a 2228 if I get along well with that scale length.

I'm not really bothered by the inlay on the Schecter and if the build quality is as Mo good as my Hellraiser it should be a great guitar.

I think I'm going to pick up a rg8 first and see how I like it.

Bonus question - what are you guys using for low E on your 27" scales?

PS - I actually use (and really, really like) ZOG strings on all of my six string guitars. He's an interesting character, that's for sure. :lol:

facepalm66

The Master of Joints
Reaction score
27" is fine for drop E. I use .74s and don't have any problems with tension or tone. Half an inch can make a noticeable difference.

Nonsense, I have 30.2" scale (which I assume is one of the few 30" length here on sso) And I also use .74 on E tuning. And it still is quite floppy, could be tighter (maybe 76 or even 78), although not too floppy to impact playability, tone, sustain or cause fretbuzz, but does not adore very strong picking.
Therefore, I definitely do not think that .74 on 27" E is tense enough.

Nemonic

Reaction score
0.84 did not make it through tuner hole, so right now I am using .072 for Eb on 30" scale. It is only half step lower than the lowest note that Tosin Abasi uses. I am quite sure that he uses 0.74, which is floppy for me, but good for him.
Guys, tuning system makes a lot. If your hardware setup is not tight enough, you will be damned. That is the reason why I am waiting for Hipshot equipped guitar (not enough money for Evertune). I am tired of that "Licensed under" and noname shit, time to grow up.

erdiablo666

I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh
Reaction score
I can't stand 26.5 for 8-string. I don't think that should be a valid 8-string guitar scale. I have a Schecter Damien Elite 8 and it sounds great both plugged in and unplugged, but it doesn't "feel" right to me. The low string is way too floppy.

The other day I tuned the F# string up to A and it sounded and felt fantastic (for my taste). For my next 7 I'm going with an Ibby 26.5", for my next 8 I'm almost definitely going for the Schecter Blackjack SLS C-8. 28" baby!!

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Nonsense, I have 30.2" scale (which I assume is one of the few 30" length here on sso) And I also use .74 on E tuning. And it still is quite floppy, could be tighter (maybe 76 or even 78), although not too floppy to impact playability, tone, sustain or cause fretbuzz, but does not adore very strong picking.
Therefore, I definitely do not think that .74 on 27" E is tense enough.

I've got an M8M and a 27" Mayones and I use a .74 on both in Drop E and barely notice a difference. Maybe I'm just used to looser strings but I've never understood the obsession with string tension some of the people on this board display.

erdiablo666

I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh
Reaction score
I've got an M8M and a 27" Mayones and I use a .74 on both in Drop E and barely notice a difference. Maybe I'm just used to looser strings but I've never understood the obsession with string tension some of the people on this board display.

It's just a feel thing, I can't explain it myself. When it's right, it's right, and you know it. I think it's a bit of a curse to enjoy tight strings and low tunings. It's tough to find a good balance. I'm not the type of guy that will bash people who like their strings loose, it's just not for me (although my 7 is in drop A and I only have .059's on it)

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
That's ironic, because I can't play anything less than a .64 in drop A on a seven-string! :lol:

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I use a Circle K .094 (Guitar string NOT a bass string) for my low E for my 27 scale... but thats just cause I like big strings lol. A .074 was way too loose when I tried that. I felt an .080 was perfect for low E.

I actually bought the .094 as a joke/experiment because Circle K was having a ridiculous sale but ended up just falling in love with it. People always say that larger strings are too bassy but I think with my setup it sounds super clear and full.

Dayn

Reaction score
I'm using a Circle K .090 on my RG2228. I think it's perfect. A bit more on the 'heavier' side (but not by much!) but it's the perfect string for me. I had to unwind it a bit to get the locking saddle to work properly.

I used to use a Circle K .082, but I found it just ever so slightly too light for me. If you don't mind the lighter side, an .082 is okay. If you don't mind I think though an .086 would be a perfect average, average-light tension for E at 27".

I'm not one for 'heavy' strings either. I used to not mind a stock .074 or .080 for E. I will tell you now though, that a Circle K .090 is far superior to a GHS .090. So much more clarity. It's far more flexible.

I think the costs of getting Circle K strings to Australia is totally worth it. I don't buy in bulk though.

facepalm66

The Master of Joints
Reaction score
It's just a feel thing, I can't explain it myself. When it's right, it's right, and you know it. I think it's a bit of a curse to enjoy tight strings and low tunings. It's tough to find a good balance. I'm not the type of guy that will bash people who like their strings loose, it's just not for me (although my 7 is in drop A and I only have .059's on it)

As regarding PERSONAL TASTE, I totally agree with it (Hence I like near floppy tension on bass guitar), therefore I'm not really bashing anyone, just stating the obvious thing, since your own personal thing can be quite misleading for others as regarding tension in this particular topic.

No heart feeling <3 :hbang:

kris_jammage

Reaction score
I've always used 25.5" scale guitars until I got my 27" 8 string. The only difference I noticed was just the size of the neck. I use the same strings for the same tunings as my 6 and 7 strings and dont really notice any difference in tension. Maybe I'm just not that bothered with tension, although I do like a bit of "slop" in the strings.

As for Drop E, I use an .80 for E and its fine for me.

Latest posts

')