Who was the FIRST Death Metal Band?

• Thread starter Dive-Baum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
Anyone know? I have been thinking about it today. I am not talking about who the best was / is..who was the first? There had to be someone. We pretty much all agree that Sabbath was the first true Metal band but who has that distinction for DM?

Discuss....:rocker:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hmm... I'm probably wrong, but I can think back to stuff like Carcass in 1987 or so. That's my best guess. I think Morbid Angel came along a bit after.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
Death released Scream Bloody Gore in 1987.
Chuck Schuldiner was pretty much the father of death metal I think. He was involved with DM since 1983.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
My guesses are either Death (1987) or Possession (1985).

I would not consider Napalm Death. They are pretty heavy into the Grindcore scene.

Your Majesty

Ibanez Goddess
Reaction score
I am going to say Morbid Angel because that was the first Death Metal band I was ever introduced too back in the day.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
hahaha nevermind, I thought it said who was YOUR first...

Your Majesty

Ibanez Goddess
Reaction score
D-EJ915 said:
hahaha nevermind, I thought it said who was YOUR first...

LOLLLLLLLLL ...I guess it's safe to say, what's on your mind? Get with the program babe, FIRST DEATH METAL band? :lol:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Doom metal predated all the death metal stuff. I'm guessing people took the dark, detuned elements of mid 80s doom metal, and just combined it with thrash and played it faster, and hence DM was born. That and the singers watching too much Cookie Monster on Sesame St.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
That and the singers watching too much Cookie Monster on Sesame St.

EXACTLY! The conversation that started death metal, "Hey, Cookie Monster is the man. Wouldn't it be cool if he had a band?" "He'd be an awesome metal singer, dude. Hey, why don't you try that?" "That's a cool idea."

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I guess one day some guy in Denmark somewhere was tazering his pet boar, and then he got an idea to start grindcore.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
The first Death Metal band is Possessed. they formed in 1983, and released their first full length album in 1985. They coined the term "death metal" to my knowledge, with a song by the same name. Their first demo, in 1984 was titled "Death Metal" as well.

Also worth noting, thier guitar player was Larry LaLonde of Primus fame.
Woth noting also: Joe Satriani produced their EP, "Eyes Of Horror"

gojira

Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
The first Death Metal band is Possessed. they formed in 1983, and released their first full length album in 1985. They coined the term "death metal" to my knowledge, with a song by the same name. Their first demo, in 1984 was titled "Death Metal" as well.

correct

bathory were also around at around the same time

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Bathory were really cool but their direction at the time was being faster and heavier than Motorhead.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:

This is generally regarded by general metal trivia concensus as true. Didn't know about the Satch thing though, interesting.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:

You are correct sir :metal: next up would have to be Morbid Angel's not-so-well-known "Abominations of Desolation" released in 1986.

Metal Ken said:
Bathory were really cool but their direction at the time was being faster and heavier than Motorhead.

IMO, Bathory were large contributors to black metal but had very little to do with death metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')