Who was the FIRST Death Metal Band?

• Thread starter Dive-Baum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say Death or Morbid Angel... Possessed, despite the "Death Metal" EP/song, were just thrash with heavier vocals IMO. It was definitely the first Morbid Angel stuff that was really "deathy" though.

Well, it could be like Venom with "Black Metal", they're just a NWOBHM band with satanic themes, but everyone credits them with creating black metal, whether or not the current incarnation is anything at all like them :lol:

As a side note, anyone ever see that video with Pete Sandoval fucked out of his tree (drugs or booze, not sure) and he claims to have invented the blast beat? Anyone have any thoughts on that? I thought there was a band before them using them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
MAKE THEM SUFFER! MAKE THEM SUFFER! FOREVER!

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
How about Venom's 'Welcome to Hell' released in 1981?

:agreed:

I remember when there was no such thing as "thrash metal", it was all just called "death metal"...

But then I am old!

JeddyH

Reaction score
I always through Death was the first until I heard Possessed, Seven Churches defiantly has Death Metal elements but not as strong as Scream Bloody Gore, of course all of this is IMO

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
kiss. spit blood, played with distortion, wore spikes, black and white makeup. or are we talking about the music? their image was as metal as it gets. their music was just weak lol.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say 'Master' or 'Possessed'... didn't read thread, slap me if i'm wrong. maybe 'Death', I'm sure there were bands that were making the music before that maybe aren't as popular.

jasonleemoody

Reaction score
It was Venom!!!!:hbang:

:nono:It was Possessed, the guitarist later formed Primus, also next was Celtic Frost, Slayer and Destruction. Then a few years later came Carcass and Death!:hbang:

First was Venom, then came Possessed, Celtic Frost and Slayer plus a few more. Carcass and Chuck came later. In 1987, I was a Death Metal Drummer. In the mid to late 80s came bands like Wehrmacht and Napalm Death,,,that was known as Grind Core.:hbang:

It was known as Black Metal, the ones after brought speed to the black metal so it then became known as Death Metal.:hbang:

Came from the punk rock genre from bands such as COC, GBH, Discharge. Exploited. Raw Power, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag and more.:hbang:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Venom was the first black metal band, Death/Possessed were both around in '83 but Death didn't really break out till what '87?

I'd say this one goes to Possessed for putting out an album first (1985)

jasonleemoody

Reaction score
Came Kreator and Sodom in the mid 80s. This transition was not alone, there was a transition from Metal to Thrash Metal as well during the other that was also influenced by the punk bands I listed, Those first bands were Metallica and Exodus, both from the Bay Area where I went to high school. The common denominator of the two transitions??? They both were influenced by Punk and Hardcore music. With out Punk and Hardcore, Thrash Metal and Death Metal would not exist. If you disagree, look at the back of the old Slayer and Metallica records,,,they are wearing COC shirts and Dead Kennedy shirts.:hbang:

And Discharge shirts!!

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Came Kreator and Sodom in the mid 80s. This transition was not alone, there was a transition from Metal to Thrash Metal as well during the other that was also influenced by the punk bands I listed, Those first bands were Metallica and Exodus, both from the Bay Area where I went to high school. The common denominator of the two transitions??? They both were influenced by Punk and Hardcore music. With out Punk and Hardcore, Thrash Metal and Death Metal would not exist. If you disagree, look at the back of the old Slayer and Metallica records,,,they are wearing COC shirts and Dead Kennedy shirts.:hbang:

And Discharge shirts!!

I don't think that anyone's disagreeing with you that without punk and hardcore, thrash metal wouldn't exist. But Metallica, Exodus, Kreator, Sodom, Slayer, and so on are all thrash bands, not death metal bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')