Who was the FIRST Death Metal Band?

• Thread starter Dive-Baum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

Reaction score
I'd say that it was more Possessed than Chuck...I think Mantas was a Thrash Metal band at first...

Also is it me or does Death borderline Thrash metal at times...especially in Scavenger of Human Sorrow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Death definitely borderlines Thrash as we know it today, but back in the 80s the lines between black, death and thrash were very thin.

Yoshi

Reaction score
Death definitely borderlines Thrash as we know it today, but back in the 80s the lines between black, death and thrash were very thin.

I think the bands the defined the genre rather than "invented" it are more important. Deicide, Death, Possessed, Morbid Angel, Obituary and Cannibal Corpse were the bands that helped push Death Metal to where it is today...It's just a shame that all the ideologies that they embraced are lost on most fans today...

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Dont tell that to the norwegian black metal dudes circa 1994.

that's why I said 80s ;)

I'm talking about stuff like Venom, Celtic Frost and early Bathory, basically thrash with lyrics about Satan, and stuff like Hellhammer which was both black and death metal.

when Norway got involved things became a lot different.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
I'd probably say Possessed or Morbid Angel.

My first was Morbid Angel.... and they are still THE best (although heretic was the purest shit)

Why does that album get so much hate? The production? It's got a fucking evil vibe \m/

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Going chronologically to make someone the FIRST death metal band, Possessed wins due to both Possessed and Death (at the time Mantas) forming in 1983, but Possessed released Seven Churches in 1985 before Death put out Scream, Bloody Gore in 1987

/thread

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I thought Venom was a NWOBHM band...

well sort of yeah, but Venom are considered to be the first Black Metal band in the way that Death are considered to be the first Death Metal band. it's debatable, but people involved with the scene generally respect that they were the 'godfathers' of the scene.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
that's why I said 80s ;)

I'm talking about stuff like Venom, Celtic Frost and early Bathory, basically thrash with lyrics about Satan, and stuff like Hellhammer which was both black and death metal.

when Norway got involved things became a lot different.

you should read Lords of Chaos and see how most black metal dudes regarded death metal :lol: Its funny, really.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I've been recommended that book, but I've never been much of a reader.

I'm one of those guys who, when reading to a book, can't remember what he's just read when it gets to the end of the page :lol:

Meldville

THE DOCTOR OF DOOM
Reaction score
you should read Lords of Chaos and see how most black metal dudes regarded death metal :lol: Its funny, really.

Definitely a good read :yesway: Another good one is Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore

DslDwg

Reaction score
As one of the older dudes around here - and someone who grew up in the bay area during the birth of the "Bay Area Thrash" scene. My recollection is that we didn't break these classifications down this far. Basically it was Metal (Priest, Maiden, Mercyful Fate etc.) or it was Thrash (Metallica, Exodus, Possessed, Testament, Kreator). I remember starting to call some bands speed metal - which typically meant fast music with cleaner vocals (early Helloween, Flotsam and Jetsam etc.). I don't remember anyone talking about Thrash, Death, Black metal until much later.

I think Possessed and Death probably were the early bands doing what we now know/classify as Death Metal I just don't remember calling them anything but thrash back in the day.:hbang:

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
^
It was evolution for sure, same could be said for early Sepultura, and even Slayer to some extent... but the roots were seeded in those bands and and it evolved from there.

*Variant is also an 'old fart'.

Gamba

Cobra Commander
Reaction score
That is a pretty cool book, there is another one for death metal called "choosing death" I think.
Regarding the death metal thing, as far as I know they started to call death metal death metal after the seven churches album "death metal"...

snuif09

Reaction score
DEFINATLY death, possesed just sounds like venom death metal sounds like a copy from venoms black metal...

listen to this song its from deaths demo death by metal this had to be so disturbing for its time the screams the growls the speed its sick i wasnt born back then but this stuff is sweet.

Zoltta

Guns N Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
idk i still think early sepultura layed down the law for alot of metal today. By early i mean anywhere from Morbid visions era ('86) to Arise ('90)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
DEFINATLY death, possesed just sounds like venom death metal sounds like a copy from venoms black metal...

Possessed is much faster and tighter than Venom ever was. Venom was way more raw, stripped down and attitude oriented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')