Who was the FIRST Death Metal Band?

• Thread starter Dive-Baum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
oh, i see. lol.
Once upon The Cross has a couple of my all time fav. Deicide songs, Christ Denied and When Satan Rules His world (one of the catchiest Deicide songs ever)
+1 Favorite Deicide album. This is the shit that made me like Deicide.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Historically, as I see it Death were the band that make the genre take off, along with Morbid Angel. So they're not exactly the innovators of it, but still great, great pioneers within it.

But then again, don't Entombed have some major part in it too?!

metalrod

Reaction score
Death would be the first "Death" metal band hence the name of the genre...

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
+1 Favorite Deicide album. This is the shit that made me like Deicide.

I don't know about the catchiest song. I would have to go with the song Deicide for that one.

Akerfeldtfan

Reaction score
Mmm i believe the first ever DM band title is held by Opeth and maybe At The Gates,1984.

They weren't that big,only starting out but to me they created the genre. =)

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Mmm i believe the first ever DM band title is held by Opeth and maybe At The Gates,1984.

Dude, why the hell did you bump a 2 year old thread. :spock:

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
To give wrong information at that. metal-archives.com lists both those bands as having formed in 1990, and I'm inclined to believe them. I'd say Possessed are probably one of the first "real" death metal bands, they formed in 1983. It's like the age old argument of the "first" metal band. I don't think genre's really have a "first" band, they just kind evolve through people hearing a certain sound, adding to it, and it goes from there.

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
BoltThrower !!!! \m/....

Bolt%20Thrower%20wallpaper%20(2).jpg

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
To give wrong information at that. metal-archives.com lists both those bands as having formed in 1990, and I'm inclined to believe them. I'd say Possessed are probably one of the first "real" death metal bands, they formed in 1983. It's like the age old argument of the "first" metal band. I don't think genre's really have a "first" band, they just kind evolve through people hearing a certain sound, adding to it, and it goes from there.

:agreed:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score

:rofl: I have to think you're joking. I'm a big fan of both of those bands, but they aren't ANYWHERE near the beginning of death metal.

Just so you know, death metal was created in the United States (Florida and California) before the Scandinavian death metal scene even started (with bands such as Entombed, but even then their first album came out in 1990).

Seeing as Opeth's first album came out in 1995... :squint: (At The Gates' first was 1992), I think you're just naming your two favorite bands and claiming they are the originators of the genre...

Reaction score
What about Dark Angel?
I would say that Death ,Possesed ,Dark Angel and Morbid Angel are the Gods of this Genre.
Death is more "metal" where Morbid angel is more "brutal and dark" side of the coin.

Dark Angel is definetly the twighlight zone between thrash and technical death metal.

Reaction score
Possesed, they didn't call it death metal, but they didn't call Alice in Chains grunge when they came out either.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score

Really? :lol:

EDIT: Fuck, video isn't working. Anyways, they did have a song on Seven Churches named "Death Metal". I guess it's a toss up between them and Death for who actually named the genre :lol:

E Lucevan Le Stelle

in love with Judas
Reaction score
I'd say Death or Morbid Angel... Possessed, despite the "Death Metal" EP/song, were just thrash with heavier vocals IMO. It was definitely the first Morbid Angel stuff that was really "deathy" though.

lastczarnian

Reaction score
Death released Scream Bloody Gore in 1987.
Chuck Schuldiner was pretty much the father of death metal I think. He was involved with DM since 1983.

Totally agree. Chuck was death metal before anyone even thought of it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I understand wanting to know the history and roots of the genre, but personally I don't really care who did it first. I care who did it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')