Who was the greatest Shrapnel shredder?

• Thread starter distressed_romeo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Who was the greatest Shrapnel shredder?

• Yngwie

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Paul Gilbert

Votes: 26 20.2%
  • Tony MacAlpine

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • Vinnie Moore

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Joey Tafolla

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Jason Becker

Votes: 36 27.9%
  • Marty Friedman

Votes: 16 12.4%
  • Ron Thal

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Derek Taylor

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Michael Lee Firkins

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Pretty self-explantory!
Fire away people!
Incidentally, I voted for Jason Becker...

If there'd been more options I'd have put George Bellas, James Byrd and Richie Kotzen on the list...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Marty Friedman, hands down IMO. Everyone of those guys could shred, but only Friedman released Dragon's Kiss :yesway:

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm so glad you mentioned Michael Lee Firkins, I've been trying to track something from him for ages!

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
He's great...I've got his second and third albums, but his first is an absolute bitch to track down. He also deserves props for standing in for Jason Becker on the 'Perspective' album, and doing such an amazing job!

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
I voted for Jason over Marty... only because I like his style more.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
Marty has that really cool, out there phrasing that I fucking love. I love the way he bends too. and then when he wants he flat out shreds like a mofo.

me votes marty

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I would vote James Murphy if he was up there(his 2 solo records are Shrapnel releases), but since he's not I put MacAlpne. He's one of the few neo-classical guys I can listen to a whole record of in one sitting without yawning.

I prefered Marty on Megadeth's Rust In Peace, not fond of his solo stuff.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
James Murphy should be on there, as should all the other people I've mentioned, but I ran out of poll options.

Hey, Strychnine, was it you who voted for Ron Thal?:)

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
I prefered Marty on Megadeth's Rust In Peace, not fond of his solo stuff.

now that I think about it, duh, too many beers tonight, I was totally thinking about his Megadeth stuff vs. solo stuff when I picked him. That might change my vote for this (to Becker) but as an overall body of work I'd still rather listen to Marty

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Abstaining simply because I'm not familiar enough with every name listed here.

WayneCustom7 said:
I'm so glad you mentioned Michael Lee Firkins, I've been trying to track something from him for ages!

Grab a copy of Neil Zaza's "Staring at the Sun" Paolo. Not only is it an amazingly good melodic shred album in its own right, Firkins plays on two cuts, "Baked @ 450," a solo guitar piece where he does a shockingly good slide imitation (I only know it's NOT slide because I first found this album on Zaza's mp3.com disc back in the day), and the following track, whose name eludes me at the moment but I wanna say "Fargo."

Aside from that, Zaza does a brilliant instrumental cover of Prince's "Purple Rain" to end the disc which is just to cool for words. :agreed:

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
I would have to go with Tony MacAlpine. He's been one of my favorites for a while now and even though he falls under the neo-classical thing, I feel that he's one the more versatile players out there who has really expanded his playing over the years.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Becker, definitely. He *would* have been one of the best, period.

:(

Drew said:
Abstaining simply because I'm not familiar enough with every name listed here.

Grab a copy of Neil Zaza's "Staring at the Sun" Paolo. Not only is it an amazingly good melodic shred album in its own right, Firkins plays on two cuts, "Baked @ 450," a solo guitar piece where he does a shockingly good slide imitation (I only know it's NOT slide because I first found this album on Zaza's mp3.com disc back in the day), and the following track, whose name eludes me at the moment but I wanna say "Fargo."

Aside from that, Zaza does a brilliant instrumental cover of Prince's "Purple Rain" to end the disc which is just to cool for words. :agreed:

ZaZa cracks me up - I remember going to see his band in the early '90s, and watching him flip his hand back and forth from the top to the bottom of the neck while doing arpeggios. Flashy!

')