Who was the greatest Shrapnel shredder?

• Thread starter distressed_romeo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Who was the greatest Shrapnel shredder?

• Yngwie

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Paul Gilbert

Votes: 26 20.2%
  • Tony MacAlpine

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • Vinnie Moore

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Joey Tafolla

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Jason Becker

Votes: 36 27.9%
  • Marty Friedman

Votes: 16 12.4%
  • Ron Thal

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Derek Taylor

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Michael Lee Firkins

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
CRAP!!!!!
One guitarist who was missed who I feel did absolute magic with the guitar www.TonyFredianelli.com Used to be in a band called Apocrypha (three albums) before there were Cello totten Metallica cover bands all around...he put out a solo cd ( i mean cassette) "Break neck speed" that was Killer...there also was a few guys missed from the list too...

1) Darren Householder
2) Craig Goldy
3) Kurt James - Dr MasterMind (the guy who sold Yngwie the strat that was on Rising force;'s Cover)
4) Dan Watson-Hexx
5) Jim Thorpe/Mark Magee-Vicious Rumors (Originally with Vinnie Moore)
6) I know he is not Shrapnel But DAVID CHASTAIN-has influenced me for years!!!!

I listen to Joey Tafolla's "out of the sun" and man I get Pumped...great Album....i refuse to even vote i really love em' all.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, Fredianelli was good. He produced an interesting album by Toby Knapp which focused more on metal rhythms than lead.
+1 on Householder too! There's a really good interview with him (and Kurt James) over at www.essentialguitarist.com where he explains what happenned to him in the post-Shrapnel years.
'Out of the Sun' is so underrated, even by shred fans...

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
yes...yes...and even more yes to Mr Romeo....I keep in touch with Kurt James he plays in a Band with Neil Turbin (original ANTHRAX singer)....Kurt Still shreds...Toby Knapp was a Little underrated?....what is he doing now? toby?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Jeff said:
This is followed closely by T-Mac, who out of that list is the best musician. Watching him shred it up on a 7, then flip it behind his back and crank on the keys makes me want to quit.

+1. I listen to "Maximum Security" and I can't decide which is more impressive, his guitar playing or his keyboard playing.

...'course, George Lynch's first guest solo on "Tears of Sahara" is one of the single greatest lead breaks I've ever heard...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Jerich said:
Used to be in a band called Apocrypha (three albums) before there were Cello totten Metallica cover bands all around...

The cello-toting Metallica cover band is Apolyptica, not Apocrypha. ;)

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Last I heard from Toby Knapp, he went on to form a black metal band (seriously) and then played in Onward for two albums. Typical power metal, but they were pretty good.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
distressed_romeo said:
Last I heard from Toby Knapp, he went on to form a black metal band (seriously) and then played in Onward for two albums. Typical power metal, but they were pretty good.

Yeah, I saw them. Not mind-blowing, but solid, and nice guitar work.

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone into James Byrd? He was the original guitar player for the metal band Fifth Angel who also had a bunch of solo releases on Shrapnel during the 80's and 90's. He's a very good guitar player who has grown to be a much deeper player than just pure shred. Actually some of his newer stuff is very blusey.

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
distressed_romeo said:
James Murphy should be on there, as should all the other people I've mentioned, but I ran out of poll options.

Hey, Strychnine, was it you who voted for Ron Thal?:)
yes sir, you know it.
Whatever you guys like is cool but Thal takes the cake for me.
Aside from his bumblefoot band stuff where most of his musical compositions is based on being silly and having fun with the music, the first album he came out with under shrapnel was just the best guitar work i've heard ever. Talk about elastic, the guy can play any style pretty damn well and make it all interesting with his lines and ideas. Not to mention is very unique soloing style for the most part.
If you've never really given thals music a look over, I say you try to learn orf. :)
my votes for thal, always and forever.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
James Byrd's amazing, although I'm not familiar with his newer stuff. 'In My Father's House' is one of my favourite neo-classical tunes; perfect strat tone, and phrasing to die for...:metal:

Ron's great too! He was one of the main guys, along with Tim Donahue and Steve Vai, who really got me interested in the idea of a fretless guitar.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Hmmm

Shawn Lane=amazing shredder that played piano
T-Mac= amazing shredder that played piano
Jeff Watson (retardedly unrated) = amazing shredder that played piano

I'm sensing a trend here.....

F 50 Lover

I Love It
Reaction score
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but where's George Lynch? I think he's one of the most original and distinctive players from the Shrapnel crowd.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Again, he wasn't on the Shrapnel label until last year, and wasn't really part of the initial shred scene, awesome player though he is.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Jeff said:
This is followed closely by T-Mac, who out of that list is the best musician. Watching him shred it up on a 7, then flip it behind his back and crank on the keys makes me want to quit.
:agreed:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
Marty Friedman, hands down IMO. Everyone of those guys could shred, but only Friedman released Dragon's Kiss :yesway:

Yeah, but he also released Scenes. :\

Latest posts

')