Who's Been Drinkin'?

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Went on a boat cruise with my wife in the weekend - didn't drink that much there, but I bought a few beers to bring home :lol:

uc

Reaction score
Do they not have Heineken where you're from? Goddamn.
Heineken is that one brand that has all the other brands. I know that Finland has at least two beer brands that is owned by Heineken, but isn't named Heineken. The Dutch used to have innovation and future in banks and trade, but now mostly just Heineken :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
i’m sorry but I might be part of the demographic you so hate. I just love hops and hoppy flavors. I love Sierra Nevada IPAs, although I find Stone a bit boring and plain. I’m from Texas and we have probably 30 breweries in every town, and they all have their own double IPA face melter brews. If you’re not a big IPA drinker, I can see you thinking theyre all the same, but they really do vary a lot in flavor, texture, balance, and complexity.

After a long hot day outside, a cold IPA in a chilled glass is the most refreshing feeling.
it's not that I hate all IPAs, moreso that I detest super high IBU beers, which tend to overwhelmingly be IPAs ime. I'm also not a fan of super hoppy/resiny beers since they tend to leave a nasty mouthfeel.
I like a good mellow session IPA on occasion like Ballast Point's Mango Even Keel.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Do they not have Heineken where you're from? Goddamn.

Yeah, we do, but the reason I bought lots of it is because it's cheap af. Like Metropolis said, it's tax and recycling deposit free, so 24 cans of Heineken cost less than you'd pay for a 6-pack in a supermarket here. That's also 5% Heineken in 355ml cans, the ones I'd buy in the supermarket are 4,7% in 330ml cans. The .3% makes a surprisingly big difference in taste, imo. Also I prefer Heineken over general Finnish beer.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Heineken is that one brand that has all the other brands. I know that Finland has at least two beer brands that is owned by Heineken, but isn't named Heineken. The Dutch used to have innovation and future in banks and trade, but now mostly just Heineken :lol:

Yeah, or actually, Heineken makes "license" versions of many beers. For example the Asahi (Japanese beer, really good imo) we get here is made by them. We do have actual Heineken in shops but like I wrote before, it's waaaay more expensive than on the boat.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Any fans of scotch and single malts on here? I got these two beauties around Christmas and I think I'm finally gonna crack them open tonight.

View media item 1643
They're part of a Nordic inspired limited run by Highland Park, both aged 17 years but taste different and aptly named The Light and The Dark for their own notes and overall profiles. Fancy schmancy stuff apparently, stoked to see how they go down.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
For example the Asahi (Japanese beer, really good imo) we get here is made by them.

Used to be good, imo. Back when you could only buy it from Alko, it was bottled in Czech Republic and had 5,0% ABV. These days at least the supermarket version is bottled in Italy, has 5,2% ABV and it's terrible. I guess you have to go to Japan to get good Asahi these days. :D

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
These days at least the supermarket version is bottled in Italy, has 5,2% ABV and it's terrible. I guess you have to go to Japan to get good Asahi these days. :D

I haven't bought it since the law changed, what a shame if that's the case :( And yeah the proper Japanese version is the best (been there, drunk that). They also sell it in pretty much every kind of can and bottle you can imagine, everything from a mini 15cl can to 1l :lol: And the 1L cans are available in vending machines...

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Came to a bar for an after work beer. Some chick asked if I could sell her a few cigs. Gave them for free because why not. Then a few minutes later she brought me a shot (of jalu*, finns get this). Good thing I have a day off tomorrow. :lol:

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
I’ve been into bourbon for a while but I’ve been trying to develop my palate. I’m a big fan of Buffalo trace Distillery’s products.
Eagle Rare, Weller, EH Taylor.

Got a bottle from a local distillery in CT from Litchfield Distillery Cask Strength Bourbon. Very interesting stuff

mongey

Reaction score
any home brewers ?

I got 4 batches in the bottle that are drinkable at the moment

• 8.5% dubbel . this came out pretty good . was trying more of a duvel clone but it ended up darker and more like a dubbel than a golden Belgian . been on the bottle 4 months which for me is a really long time for bee rto last . its only an occasional drinker.
  • 6.0% calypso saison. this is almost gone . 5 bottles left . turned out a great beer. finished at 1.000. saision dry . dry hopped with calypso
  • 5.8% APA. nice beer . tried something different from usual pale ale I make . grist is 50% munch , 45% wheat and 5% carahell. its tasty the munich and wheat balance nicely
  • 4.7% Belgian pale . all pilsner with WLP550 ,simple belgian pale . nice simple drinker

got a Belgian IPA in the fermenter at the moment which I reused the Belgian pale yeast .Brewing a US IPA tomorrow . aiming for around 7% and use all the hops i have for 80+ IBU . see how it goes

Last edited:

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
any home brewers ?

I got 4 batches in the bottle that are drinkable at the moment

• 8.5% dubbel . this came out pretty good . was trying more of a duvel clone but it ended up darker and more like a dubbel than a golden Belgian . been on the bottle 4 months which for me is a really long time for bee rto last . its only an occasional drinker.
  • 6.0% calypso saison. this is almost gone . 5 bottles left . turned out a great beer. finished at 1.000. saision dry . dry hopped with calypso
  • 5.8% APA. nice beer . tried something different from usual pale ale I make . grist is 50% munch , 45% wheat and 5% carahell. its tasty the munich and wheat balance nicely
  • 4.7% Belgian pale . all pilsner with WLP550 ,simple belgian pale . nice simple drinker

got a Belgian IPA in the fermenter at the moment which I reused the Belgian pale yeast .Brewing a US IPA tomorrow . aiming for around 7% and use all the hops i have for 80+ IBU . see how it goes

That's a lot of different brews going, cool! I guess you're making pretty small batches? I've only made one 20 liter batch of wheat beer (which turned out awesome) so far, but even that lasted me almost half a year since I don't drink that much beer anymore. I think I'll be brewing some more soon, though. Some IPA or APA possibly...

mongey

Reaction score
That's a lot of different brews going, cool! I guess you're making pretty small batches? I've only made one 20 liter batch of wheat beer (which turned out awesome) so far, but even that lasted me almost half a year since I don't drink that much beer anymore. I think I'll be brewing some more soon, though. Some IPA or APA possibly...
I do 19 to 26 liter batches depending on how strong the beer is.

I have been on a brewing mission. I’m a beer guy and have pretty much been brewing everything i drink.