Who's In A Gigging Band?

• Thread starter noodles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Are you in a gigging band.

• Hell yeah I am! \mm/

Votes: 441 59.4%
  • Getting off the ground, will be gigging soon.

Votes: 125 16.8%
  • In between bands at the moment.

Votes: 54 7.3%
  • I rock my bedroom every night!

Votes: 122 16.4%

• Total voters

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
There are a lot of new people here, so a lot of us no longer know who is out there in the trenches getting it done. So, post what you're up to, I'll go first.

I play for Division, and we gig about once a month. We'll be hitting the road in August to play Minneapolis Mayhem 3, hopefully with a string of dates in the week leading up to the festival.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
If you haven't figured out by now, I'm the lead guitarist in End Theory. I do usually 3-4 shows/month, but that's starting to increase with the recent release of our debut CD. Lot of good opportunities have been coming our way. Needless to say, I'm stoked. \m/

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Im getting close once i get things together i will put up some recordings. So far i have a amazing drummer and bassist just need another guitarist and singer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I play in Organical. Starting in late 2002, we played well over 20+ shows through early 2004. (more than one a month)

We took an extended hiatus while we recorded our second CD, and re-formed with a new rhythm section late last summer. We're starting to gig a little more, but we're already in pre-production for our third recording project, which will be a shorter EP, and then we have some ideas for a more conceptual album after that.

We're looking to do no more than one show per month so we can focus more on the recording process.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
noodles said:
I play for Division, and we gig about once a month. We'll be hitting the road in August to play Minneapolis Mayhem 3, hopefully with a string of dates in the week leading up to the festival.

+1. I'm taller, though. We're also playing with Ramma, uh, Gamma Ray in May.

NewArmyGuitar

Fueled by Satan
Contributor
Reaction score
I play industrial rock with Unavox, and we're trying to do shows at least once a month. We've got a show next Saturday in Hollywood, FL (or somewhere close to there). We've also got our first full length album coming out this summer.

http://www.unavoxmusic.com

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
I started Division with Mike in the early 90s. Played with them until the end of 2005. I did over 100 shows with the band. In 2003 I played with Twisted Tower Dire at the the Metal Bash and Wacken Open Air festivals in Germany.

I am currently working on a new project that I should be able to report news on in a few months.

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
+1. I'm taller, though. We're also playing with Ramma, uh, Gamma Ray in May.

You guys actually have a chance for a +2 here as well. A rare and beautiful thing!

Matt Crooks said:
I started Division with Mike in the early 90s. Played with them until the end of 2005. I did over 100 shows with the band. In 2003 I played with Twisted Tower Dire at the the Metal Bash and Wacken Open Air festivals in Germany.

I am currently working on a new project that I should be able to report news on in a few months.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to neglect you. I forgot that Division also has it's entire family on here.:lol:

I haven't been playing nearly as much of late and it's been kind of nice. For a while I was playing every weekend all year long, playing in multiple bands with multiple genres, and forgetting what sleep felt like.

Lately, I've been locked in the basement glued to my Pro Tools rig, forgetting what sleep feels like.

Seriously, I'm starting to miss the gigging a bit right now. It goes in cycles around here. There are months at a time where all I do is set up, play, & tear down and I get no studio clients. Then there's life right now where I've got more studio projects than I've got hours in the day.

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
Christopher said:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to neglect you. I forgot that Division also has it's entire family on here.:lol:

Haha, it's all good. I didn't actually join 7string until after I left Division. I think that every 7 string player in Northern VA, has played in, or auditioned for the band though - so there will be a lot of "family" here.

Christopher said:
Lately, I've been locked in the basement glued to my Pro Tools rig, forgetting what sleep feels like.

Seriously, I'm starting to miss the gigging a bit right now. It goes in cycles around here.

Me too. I spend all of my playing time working on new material and recording it in PT.

I miss gigging a little bit. Not enough to join a band though! I do not miss lugging all my sh!t around, that's for sure.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm the lead guitarist (if you can call my random attacks on the guitar "lead"!) for Promise No Lies. We're a five piece metal band in Essex, England formed just over 2 years ago. The other guitarist and our singer played in Keratose, a band that was infamous on the Essex metal circuit. We're hard to define sound wise, but if you read this thread: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8212 there's a couple of mp3's there. The qualities shit as we've had MAJOR hassles with getting a demo recorded.

Because of the demo crap we've only managed to play 2 gigs, as everywhere round here want a demo first. We've managed to sweet talk a couple more gigs though. We'll be hitting the stage for the first time in almost a year on 18th May. We've got a heavy as hell set to play which'll hopefully win us some more fans.

Better get our arses in gear and sort out the website & myspace!

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
:hbang: I started my band Deny Thy Nature in 2000, and we are finally starting to play some shows and get our shit together. We are based out of St. Paul, so Division guys, I look forward to you all being in the area in August.

This band has been your typical "can't find a vocalist; ok, found a vocalist, can't find a bass player...ok, found a bass player..." that type of crap. We finally found a steady bass player and a vocalist that is really into our band. He doesn't even have lyrics for half of our material yet, but we are gigging anyway...we even played one show without him there at all, completely instrumental (it was kinda fun). We've probably played half a dozen shows with our old vocalist and now our new one, so this band is pretty green yet. We've got 3 shows lined up right now though, so things are starting to roll a little bit. :metal:

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
7slinger said:
This band has been your typical "can't find a vocalist; ok, found a vocalist, can't find a bass player...ok, found a bass player..." that type of crap.

I can sypathise with that. PNL started as a four piece as our singer is an amazing bass player, but he decided early on he just wanted to sing in this band as he's sung and played bass in every band he's ever been in. He also thought the lineup was too much like Keratose, and essentially it was Keratose with a different drummer one different guitarist, albeit playing different music.

Took us a year to find a replacement, who turned out to be the other guitarists best mate. He forgot that John played bass. :nuts:

Fantomas

blah
Reaction score
I play in a deathmetal band, we've been playing together in this lineup for close to 5 years.

I was in a band with a few of the guys about 10 years ago though.

We did a lot of shows together but lately it's been a little slow..

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
7slinger said:
We are based out of St. Paul, so Division guys, I look forward to you all being in the area in August.

I'm looking forward to it, too. We should have a good time :hbang: and :drew:

BTW: I'm going to want to check out that JP7. I've never even seen one in person.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Between bands.

In college I played with a group now known as Larson, your typical Dave-inspired acoustic driven collegiate jam band, just with an honest-to-god lead guitarist (me) with some hard rock roots, and a bassist into the Chili Peppers. He and I are both no longer in the band (graduation and quit, respectively), so now they sound like your typical VT fusion of DMB, Phish, and Guster, but at least they do it well. :lol:

Summers, I used to sit in with the blues rock band. We did a lot of Stones covers, a couple originals, and whatever we felt like it on any given night. We never had a set list, and half the time Tom (vocalist, sounded nthing like Mick but sang the Stones with more authority than anyone else I've ever hjeard) would just launch into something and we'd follow along. Add in lots of alcohol and no band practices, and it was the most fun I've ever had in a band. :lol:

Currently, I'm slowly working on this CD. If I find an existing band doing what I want to do looking for a guitarist I'll take it, but for the time being my priority is to get my CD out, maybe put a group together and do a few instruental gigs, and either hope that takes off or leverage that into enough or a reputation to land a gig with a vocal band.

So, basically, I just drink a lot. :D