Who's practicing what?

• Thread starter Charles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jjjsssxxx

Reaction score
I'm getting back into the old thrash stuff after spending a lot of time noodling and improvising. Relearning Sepultura's Arise and picking up on some subtle little things in the rhythms I hadn't spotted all those years ago :)

Right on dude! I've been going back and relearning that album too. Best thrash album ever! (IMO) Definitely a picking hand workout.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I'm practicing Serrana and Perpetual Burn (not learning them - I learned them a while ago, but I STILL work on the fluidity of those things). And I'm learning Old School by Rob Marcello. And for rhythm work I bust out Keith Merrow stuff or Bulb's Zyglrox. Basically I'm working on sweeps with some tapping thrown in, and then a lot of djenty type stuff.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Right on dude! I've been going back and relearning that album too. Best thrash album ever! (IMO) Definitely a picking hand workout.

Absolutely agreed. The other album it reminds me of is Carcass' Necroticism, because of the, I suppose, 'evolving' riffs. You spend a while learning one part, you think you've got it nailed, then it evolves into a variation of itself with some subtle little changes. I suppose that's what makes them interesting. Chaos AD is fantastic too, not complex like Arise but teeming with raw and legitimate aggression :2c:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
As for electric, there's various. Lately I've been concentrating heavily on Janne Da Arc songs. There's so many great examples of using technique very tastefully in certain parts. The sense of arranging is great and I'm keen on developing my own arranging as well. Plus the songs also have their fair share of sweeps, string skips and taps and all sorts of tricks.

I just fell over watching these:

:eek:

DIOBOLIC5150

Reaction score
I just started tabbing out all the rhythm parts for Nocturnus' "Lake of Fire"

"The Key" is one of my favorite albums. Would it be too much trouble to hook me up with the tabs whenever you complete them? I'd greatly appreciate it if so.

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
trying to really understand what goes good with what: i.e.- my goal is to think about each note in relation to the chord being played and where im going to go from there, all before i play "said" note.

and of course, improving my sight reading before i go off to school in september

jufob

Banned
Reaction score
Segovia scales, trying to create melodies, cleaning up my phrasing during improv.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Dang! I'd love to learn Warning, but there's no tab I can find, and no way I'm going to do one on my own (it takes me forEVER to tab). Cool post, though - never heard of them. Thx.:metal:

I've actually got parts for the song taken from Janne Da Arc guitarist's instructiona vid:

Warning Chorus
(tapping part only)

Code:
    T      T      T      T      T      T   
e|--12-8-5-12-8-7-12-8-5-12-8-5-13-8-5-12-8-5--|
B|---------------------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------|

T       T         T      T       T
e|---------------------------------------------|
B|------------------5-12-9-5-------------------|
G|---------------------------------------------|
D|----------14-6-9-----------14-9-6------------|
A|--14-7-9---------------------------14-9-7----|
E|---------------------------------------------|

T         T          T       T        T
e|---------------------8-15-12-8--------------------|
B|--------------------------------------------------|
G|------------17-9-12------------17-12-9------------|
D|--17-10-12------------------------------17-12-10--|
A|--------------------------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------------------------|

T       T         T      T       T      
e|--------------------------------------------|
B|------------------3-10-7-3------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------|
D|----------12-4-7-----------12-7-4-----------|
A|--12-5-7---------------------------12-7-5---|
E|--------------------------------------------|

T        T          T       T        T
e|------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------------6-13-10-6-------------------|
G|------------------------------------------------|
D|-----------15-7-10------------15-10-7-----------|
A|--15-8-10------------------------------15-10-8--|
E|------------------------------------------------|

T         T          T       T        T
e|--------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------8-15-12-8--------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------|
D|------------17-9-12------------17-12-9------------|
A|--17-10-12------------------------------17-12-10--|
E|--------------------------------------------------|
It's more or less Nuno Bettencourt style tapping.

Warning Solo
(first sweep picking part)

Code:
                   P                         P                              P    
e|--------------5-8-5--------------------8-12-8------------------------12-15-12-----------------|
B|------------5-------5---------------10--------10------------------13----------13--------------|
G|----------5-----------5-----------9--------------9-------------14----------------14-----------|
D|--------7---------------7------10------------------10-------14----------------------14-12-14--|
A|------7-------------------7-12------------------------12-15-----------------------------------|
E|--5-8-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
     H                       H                            H

Warning Solo (last 2 bars/string skipping part)

Code:
      H         P        H         P        H         P
e|---------12-16-12-----------12-15-12-----------12-16-12-----|
B|------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--14-17-----------17-14-17-----------17-14-17-----------17--|
D|------------------------------------------------------------|
A|------------------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------------|

H         P        H         P        H         P
e|---------12-16-12-----------12-17-12-----------12-17-12--|
B|---------------------------------------------------------|
G|--14-17-----------17-14-17-----------17-14-17------------|
D|---------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------|
Most of the song is pretty straight forward sans the chorus and the full solo. Damn I should have bought the tabs when I had the chance...:wallbash:

Last edited:

Nomad

Reaction score
Learning various King's X songs by ear. Sometimes it's frustrating, like when I just can't get it to sound right. Other times its rewarding. The riff in "Lost in Germany" was beyond me for a long time but one day after a long interlude I attempted it again and got it on the first few tries. Times like those are nice because they show that we are measurably improving.

matty2fatty

Reaction score
Stabwound by Necrophagist and the arpeggios for the Glass Prison.....I can't play either cleanly or at tempo though, so I need a lot more practice

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just fell over watching these:

:eek:

I honestly never really cared much for You's soloing, but what always made him interesting for me is his rhythm playing. Not just because it's all over the place, hard to play and very creative, but because it's so well implemented into the songs that you barely even think about it. I hadn't even noticed that Stranger and Warning were that complex :lol: Most guitarist would fail horribly if they tried to arrange their guitar parts like You, but he pulls it off so damn well. To me he's one of the best in that department.

On-topic, I'm currently mostly working on songwriting and arranging, aswell as improvising over my own recordings. While doing so, I try to approach my soloing more from a compositional point of view than just a soloist's, trying to come up with compelling, catchy phrases on the spot. This also puts your command over the instrument and interval knowledge to the test, as you try to bypass muscle memory and play what you're hearing in your head instead of a bunch of pre-rehearsed "licks".

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
Making backing tracks, and practicing improvisation so i'm prepared when I start auditioning for bands this summer.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I honestly never really cared much for You's soloing, but what always made him interesting for me is his rhythm playing. Not just because it's all over the place, hard to play and very creative, but because it's so well implemented into the songs that you barely even think about it. I hadn't even noticed that Stranger and Warning were that complex :lol: Most guitarist would fail horribly if they tried to arrange their guitar parts like You, but he pulls it off so damn well. To me he's one of the best in that department.

Some of his solos are indeed at times questionable (Child Vision), but yeah, his rhythm parts tend to overshadow his leads. The early albums were more flash and technique, but got more melodic and soulful towards the latter. He share's a similar style to Daita, but I like Daita's solos better. Though IMO his best leads are in his solo material.

I was just relistening to DNA again. I'm trying to learn all of Vanity. That song also has it's fair share of complexity, but it sits so well in the mix. :shred: Basically what I'm trying to go for with my 2 new bands.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of his solos are indeed at times questionable (Child Vision), but yeah, his rhythm parts tend to overshadow his leads. The early albums were more flash and technique, but got more melodic and soulful towards the latter. He share's a similar style to Daita, but I like Daita's solos better. Though IMO his best leads are in his solo material.

I was just relistening to DNA again. I'm trying to learn all of Vanity. That song also has it's fair share of complexity, but it sits so well in the mix. :shred: Basically what I'm trying to go for with my 2 new bands.

I might become your enemy when saying this :)wub:) but to me both You and Daita have a tendency to shape their notes, or not shape them, in a way that I don't really dig... Daita for example, in a lot of his leads, including his solo instrumental songs, he barely uses vibrato at all and his picking is pretty "toneless" in a way... for a guy coming from the Petrucci side of things, it makes me a bit uneasy :lol: My favourite You solo is probably the one in "Destination", I think most of all his picking but also his general tone is very different from most of his stuff and I really dig that approach... that's why I appreciate You's arrangements and rhythm playing much more than his solos. When it comes to note choices though both him and Daita are great in my book :)

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I might become your enemy when saying this :)wub:) but to me both You and Daita have a tendency to shape their notes, or not shape them, in a way that I don't really dig... Daita for example, in a lot of his leads, including his solo instrumental songs, he barely uses vibrato at all and his picking is pretty "toneless" in a way... for a guy coming from the Petrucci side of things, it makes me a bit uneasy :lol: My favourite You solo is probably the one in "Destination", I think most of all his picking but also his general tone is very different from most of his stuff and I really dig that approach... that's why I appreciate You's arrangements and rhythm playing much more than his solos. When it comes to note choices though both him and Daita are great in my book :)

Nah not really. We're still cool. It's about time we have a bit of a difference in opinion anyway. :lol: :wub:

If anything, Daita and You's choice in notes is EXACTLY what I love about them. I do see where you're coming from though. Daita at times does sound a little too much like Petrucci. And his picking technique does taint his tone somewhat (which is gorgeous by the way). But his ultra-melodic sense is what appeals to me most. Blue Passion and Bineck's Light of Love are the best examples of this. In fact, everytime I pickup my Les Paul, I always play Blue Passion for tone test, and with my new Charvel, it's been a Daita learning binge all over again. :lol:

You on the other hand I'll have to admit is a little less unique. There's plenty of technique and flash there, in fact that's why I'm relearning the JDA solos to keep on my toes. His tone isn't as good as Daita's (though Sakura, Kaze Ni Notte, also favorite solos are awesome), and has a tendency to use the bridge pickup a tad too much (see how much I pay attention :lol:). But then again, You doesn't need a crushing or oversweet tone when there's too many things going on. As his solos got less flashy over the albums, he did get better. Wild Fang is simple and fantastic, as is Destination and Mobius.

Also, OT and quite possibly a severe case of fanaticism, I'm astually trying to shape my notes based on Alan's singing. :ugh: :rofl: Marty Friedman already beat me to the punch. :wallbash: That and Masashi Hamauzu's choice of notes as well...

')