who's the good guitarist in korn?

• Thread starter rx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rx

Reaction score
who's the good guitarist in korn, head or monkey?

I always thought it was munk but i just saw a tab for one of their songs and seems like head is doing all the whammy job so i'm just wondienrgl.

or do they both suck ;) :lol: joking

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, Munky is currently the ONLY guitarist in Korn, so it's kinda a moot point. :lol:

jski7

Reaction score
Sephiroth000 said:
Does it really matter? :)
Ahem . I'll let that one slide :fawk: .
I think Munky actually is the better of the two . Head was good at making noises . From what I've seen , on and off stage , Munky is more of a "player's player" , whereas Head kinda approaches the guitar as a tool . Not to mention that since his departure , Head has become a TOOL . :lol:

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I dunno. I know Munky always said that Head was the better musician all around, and he seems to do some cool stuff. But then, Munky's been wanting to add solos to Korn's music for years, so who knows what the future may hold for Korn.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
Well, Munky is currently the ONLY guitarist in Korn, so it's kinda a moot point. :lol:
ha! i was going to say, "don't you mean to ask, 'who's the remaining guitarist in korn?'" :)

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
Umm didn't realize either one of them where any good. That is probably a shitty comment,,, ok,,it is a shitty comment :fawk:
The first exposure I had of those 2 was on the 7th heaven video put out by Ibanez. I could not believe what ass's those 2 are. It just made me sick,,, the noise they were making and calling it music,,,,talking straight out of there ass's and showing what appeared to be no respect for Ibanez or the the fact that they actually got there dumb ass's endorsed. I'll just leave it at that,,,I wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that I don't like "corn" :)

~A

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Who knows?
I haven't been into Korn lately plus the fact that Head left, there is only Munky.
Korn's first and second which I got into way back tells me they both are equally ok guitarists for what they're doing. Rhythmicly simple. Weird noises with effects.
They both pretty much sound the same to me.
I dont think it matters now anyway. ;)

rx

Reaction score
so Munky's the good player?

there's a Korn song on which he shreds for a few seconds... must be him then.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Good as in what? A virtuoso? No. But he has accomplished alot since Korn began so
thats got to say something at least.
IMO he's an ok guitarist and nothing special.
When I saw Korn back in '97, I was impressed by both of them.
They put on a good show. ;)

Digital Black

Reaction score
Maybe Fred Durst can fill in for head, there was a video floating around some time back of Fred "shredding" (eardrums and his carrer)..

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I know Mike Mushok of Staind can shred like crazy. On the DVD that came with their last album (home movies from the start of the band until the present), you get to see them hanging out with Korn on stage from the "Sick and Twisted" tour playing Korn's "Need To" with Korn's gear, Head comments "they play it better than I do!". You also get to see him pulling off some pretty cool sweeps on Head's custom Ibanez. The sound quality's bad due to the loud amps and tiny camera microphone, but seeing what he was doing was enough. I believe he took lessons from Tony MacAlpine.

As for Korn, Munky always seemed to be the more creative of the two, and the one who really enjoyed music of all kinds and listened to the widest variety of music. Head was always about sticking to Korn's sound basically, Munky was the experimental one. Munky always said Head was the better musician. Neither could shred extremely well as far as I could tell, but they did what they do well.

To sum up, my vote goes to Munky for creativity (an important part of being a musician).

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
jski7 said:
Ahem . I'll let that one slide :fawk: .
I think Munky actually is the better of the two . Head was good at making noises . From what I've seen , on and off stage , Munky is more of a "player's player" , whereas Head kinda approaches the guitar as a tool . Not to mention that since his departure , Head has become a TOOL . :lol:

Why , my thoughts exactly

jski7

Reaction score
.... And Munky is cooler in person , too . He actually likes to talk about seven strings and music and such :yesway: . Most major artists can't stand talking about their "job" .

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, Mike Mushok of Staind took lessons from MacAlpine. He's a fan of EJ as well.:cool:

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
I know Mike Mushok of Staind can shred like crazy. On the DVD that came with their last album (home movies from the start of the band until the present), you get to see them hanging out with Korn on stage from the "Sick and Twisted" tour playing Korn's "Need To" with Korn's gear, Head comments "they play it better than I do!". You also get to see him pulling off some pretty cool sweeps on Head's custom Ibanez. The sound quality's bad due to the loud amps and tiny camera microphone, but seeing what he was doing was enough. I believe he took lessons from Tony MacAlpine.

As for Korn, Munky always seemed to be the more creative of the two, and the one who really enjoyed music of all kinds and listened to the widest variety of music. Head was always about sticking to Korn's sound basically, Munky was the experimental one. Munky always said Head was the better musician. Neither could shred extremely well as far as I could tell, but they did what they do well.

To sum up, my vote goes to Munky for creativity (an important part of being a musician).

Yeah Mushok can rip it up better than either Munky or Korn, he's a good player. I also like the direction they're taking with their music; very melodic.

macalpine88

Reaction score
the reason he shreds good is Tony Macalpine taught him and he adapted his style. :shred: i always liked staind but i kind of wish they would let mike show off because he really is good.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
He should do a solo record. Plus, a tribute song or two to MacAlpine. :)

jski7

Reaction score
I dig Staind , but I think their first album was the best . After that , I can live without 'em . I wish they had stayed "heavy" . The melodic direction is awesome , but they need to bring the crunch back . Staind isn't "It's Been Awhile" or "Outside" to me . "Mudshovel" is what I think of when someone mentions Staind . :metal:

')