who's the good guitarist in korn?

• Thread starter rx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dan5150

Jammin' Dan
Reaction score
I never really thought much about 'em as guitar players in the same way I would think of most other folks since in thier music, the guitar didn't seem to carry the melody as much as the vocals or the bass. Plus I don't remember ever seeing (or hearing) either one play anything that would resemble a "solo".

However, I was impressed with Head's job in duplicating Gilmore's solo in "Another Brick in the Wall". Not to shabby.

As for Heads new direction, he should be releasing his solo CD soon. They did have an MP3 of a song called "cry" posted on his website (http://www.headtochrist.com/), but I just checked and it isn't there anymore. It does have a very "Korn" feel to it.

-Dan-
:metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G.B.N.B

Reaction score
Speaking of Head. Any one read his interview in August Guitar World? He said that most of the songs on his solo albulm don't have guitar....which kinda baffles me.

jski7

Reaction score
G.B.N.B said:
Speaking of Head. Any one read his interview in August Guitar World? He said that most of the songs on his solo albulm don't have guitar....which kinda baffles me.
It shouldn't . Finding religion is one thing , getting your life together to the point where YOU are happy is one thing . Losing your shit completely and freaking out are another thing altogether . Head has some deep problems , and he should've sought psychological help instead of turning to a "T.V. church" . His local "civilian" church may have even served him better . The church he's hanging with now is only exploiting him . "Fallen" rock stars = big profits , simple as that . And it's sad to think that everybody knows it but him .

rx

Reaction score
jski7 said:
It shouldn't . Finding religion is one thing , getting your life together to the point where YOU are happy is one thing . Losing your shit completely and freaking out are another thing altogether . Head has some deep problems , and he should've sought psychological help instead of turning to a "T.V. church" . His local "civilian" church may have even served him better . The church he's hanging with now is only exploiting him . "Fallen" rock stars = big profits , simple as that . And it's sad to think that everybody knows it but him .

TV church? I'm lost...

jski7

Reaction score
rx said:
TV church? I'm lost...
His church (I forget the name , Valley Bible Fellowship or something) is one of those you see on television . You know , the ones with the prayer/donation phone #s , and the minister telling you to call , pay , and be saved . Televangelists ! That's what they're called . I hate when I can't think of the correct words ! :scratch:

rx

Reaction score
jski7 said:
His church (I forget the name , Valley Bible Fellowship or something) is one of those you see on television . You know , the ones with the prayer/donation phone #s , and the minister telling you to call , pay , and be saved . Televangelists ! That's what they're called . I hate when I can't think of the correct words ! :scratch:

That's TREACHEROUS!!!!!!!1111 :mad: :noway:

jski7

Reaction score
"Put one hand on the television ! And dial this number with the other ! For a small donation , you can be saved ! For a pledge of 50 dollars or more , you can be healed ! Free of the demons that bind you ! Call me now ! Call meeee NOW ! " You know , those guys :lol: !

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Every heard "Jesus He Knows Me" by Genesis? Yeah, those guys :lol:

I can immensely respect people who clean up addictions, get their life together and are doing what they love to do (Reznor), I can even respect people making sacrifices for their personal beliefs, I have no respect for people who try to convert others to their beliefs and honestly think that they are 100% right and required to tell everyone about it.

Head? I feel sorry for him. He had some big problems from the sound of it, and he went to the wrong solution and is getting used basically.

I decided he lost it when he got the Jesus tattoo on his hand to stop him from masturbating (as my bassist said, just use the other hand :lol: ).

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
Every heard "Jesus He Knows Me" by Genesis? Yeah, those guys :lol:

I can immensely respect people who clean up addictions, get their life together and are doing what they love to do (Reznor), I can even respect people making sacrifices for their personal beliefs, I have no respect for people who try to convert others to their beliefs and honestly think that they are 100% right and required to tell everyone about it.

Head? I feel sorry for him. He had some big problems from the sound of it, and he went to the wrong solution and is getting used basically.

I decided he lost it when he got the Jesus tattoo on his hand to stop him from masturbating (as my bassist said, just use the other hand :lol: ).

As long as one still has senior Lefty, true love is still possible ( guess the comic)

Televangelism is a big problem, so it seems? Thank god we hardly have that over here.

rgplayer

Reaction score
I dont think they were great guitar players, but i like them for their own way of looking at the guitar.I still like them , but as a band i find the drummer and the bass player make korn what it is.Still some great music to jam to and just listen to and have fun. Hell if only good guitar players made bands we would not have many of the bands from the past and now. Just my thoughts.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Agreed. Thats what gave them their signiture sound. Back when Korn was starting out, I was in the death scene here in Lewiston, Maine and I never cared for the guitar work coming from Korn. Well, I always liked the bass and drums and later liked the guitars. They were too simple for me but I still dug them. Now, I appreciate what they have done. Still, I dont think they are too talented as other guitarists playing 7's are.:)

XIEmperorIX

\m/ Metal Dan \m/
Reaction score
Oddly enough, Korn's song "fallling away from me" got me into metal..I heard the song on that South Park episode in it when I was like 13 :lol: then about two years later, I noticed they played 7-string guitars and bought a 7-string guitar because of that :agreed: Just something I thought was kinda odd lol although the only albums I really care for from them are the first 2..I stopped listening after Untouchables..

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Actually. That is a good song but still, I like their first 2 albums. :)

G.B.N.B

Reaction score
Personally I Like the albulms in this order....
Untouchables, KoRn, Issues, Take a Look in the Mirror, Life is Peachy... I liked when I first got it but find myself currently not digging it too much, and Follow The Leader last because theres only 4 or 5 songs I really like. Though the idea behind the albulm was cool.

G.B.N.B

Reaction score
jski7 said:
Sorry to double-post but this quote reminds me of something on tv sunday. I woke up and some televangalist was on, I was half awake and still groggy so I wasn't paying attention until I heard a sound clip from Nickleback's song "You Remind Me" He then proceeded to say that this kind of music corrupts children and is evil and no good yatta yatta yatta. Which really surprised me, I didn't think they actually still said that kind of thing...but after that list of "how to tell if your child is goth" I guess I shouldnt be surprised.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
rx said:
who's the good guitarist in korn?

This is a paradox, right?

It's like that classic one about time travel... if you go back in time and kill your grandfather before your dad was born, then you'll have never existed.... but if you never existed, then who killed your grandfather?

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
lol wow. I dont think its THAT paradoxical. Its just, kinda like santa claus. Isnt there ;p

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
To me, Korn's biggest strength was always Jon Davis, but he lost the honesty and power he had in the early days. These days he doesn't seem to care as much. Issues was the last album I really enjoyed, and have liked a few songs from then on ("Thoughtless" comes to mind, as well as the softer songs off Untouchables, there's some decent stuff on Take a Look In The Mirror, and "Another Brick In The Wall" is cool, though I'm sick of "Word Up").

That said, I'm interested to hear if anything changes on the next album. Munky was always the more open musician, Jon Davis has said they're getting pretty pissed off again, and rumour has it they're working with Rick Rubin.

And in my opinion, everything Rick Rubin touches is pure gold (the last two System of a Down albums and the most recent Slipknot may be held as evidence).

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
well, Rick Rubin Did produce Reign In Blood. So i gotta give him props there .
Its easy to loose the honesty you have when you dont have to care about anything anymore (bein rich and all). Hey, it happened to Metallica.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Rick has gone down in the world hasn't he? I'm sure his bank account is looking nicer though.
And since when did Korn have actual 'guitarists' in the band :lol:

')