who's the good guitarist in korn?

• Thread starter rx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Laren

Symphonic Black Metal!
Reaction score
Jski7, i love you.

is it me, or have korn turned into a covers band?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
jski7 said:
Ahem . I'll let that one slide :fawk: .
I think Munky actually is the better of the two . Head was good at making noises . From what I've seen , on and off stage , Munky is more of a "player's player" , whereas Head kinda approaches the guitar as a tool . Not to mention that since his departure , Head has become a TOOL . :lol:

If I remember correctly Munky did have the bigger pedalboard, but head used the guitar for some Morello - like noises...

OK, so I admit, I was a huge Korn fan at some point, but that was gone after I saw them live...

Still hate the K7...

Why can't I be objective?!

jski7

Reaction score
Hawksmoor said:
If I remember correctly Munky did have the bigger pedalboard, but head used the guitar for some Morello - like noises...

OK, so I admit, I was a huge Korn fan at some point, but that was gone after I saw them live...

Still hate the K7...

Why can't I be objective?!
Really ? You stopped liking them after you saw them live ? I liked them more after I saw them (and that all started on their first tour , before they were anybody) . I still like 'em , but I don't know why . I can't put my finger on it - it's just somethin' I guess . Their music has been with me through some hard times , and maybe that's it . As far as being objective Hawks , by all means . Everyone here knows I dig Korn and own a K7 , but I know alot of people despise them . Usually I defend them just to "stir the pot" , but in the end I know that if you don't like them and I do , who cares ? It's no biggie . It doesn't mean we can't agree to disagree , 'ya know ? ;)

And Laren , you do know that's not me in my avatar , right :eek: ? All I got to give is brotherly love :lol: ! As far as Korn turning into a cover band , just wait until they release their cover album which is in the works I believe . I like a good cover tune now and then , but I'd rather they try to get their own music on the radio etc. .

Laren

Symphonic Black Metal!
Reaction score
bugger, thourght you were some cool guitarist girl who knows her music, most lass guitarists i know are complete pricks!

Also, here is head's gear and here's Munky's gear

jski7

Reaction score
:metal: :lol: :metal: Guess I should change my av ! Anyway , those are some cool links you posted . If you click "GO>" on the right , they give some pretty cool artist info . And yeah , I agree , it's hard to find "cool" chick guitarists . Most think they have something to prove because they're women , and I guess it's all our fault .

seven skrang

Reaction score
dude c'mon korn is sooooo gay
listen to some good jazz fusion now thats goooood music

jski7

Reaction score
seven skrang said:
dude c'mon korn is sooooo gay
listen to some good jazz fusion now thats goooood music
Like who ? Pat Metheny , Norman Brown , Al DiMeola , Mahavishnu Orchestra , Frank Gambale or maybe even some David Sanborn or Acoustic Alchemy (and those are only the popular guys) thrown in for good measure ? :fawk: Dude , my musical tastes are as varied as they come . So , that said , I think I'm more than qualified to decide for myself whether or not Korn is gay ;) . And as far as female shredders , check out Jennifer Batten . She's F'ing good . All the two-handed tapping bullshit you'd ever want to hear , but I dig her . There's alot more female shredders out there , you just have to search for them .

seven skrang

Reaction score
ok cool, you know your stuff well, but korn isnt that valuble musically and yes they have some cool songs. but dude , do not discredit shredding, its not all showing off like veryone thinks theres compostion there.

jski7

Reaction score
:nono: I don't dis-credit shred at all . I was raised on the stuff actually . But with me personally , I've been there and done that . I've got the knowledge and the technique still , so I can use it whenever I want .

seven skrang

Reaction score
jski7 said:
:nono: I don't dis-credit shred at all . I was raised on the stuff actually . But with me personally , I've been there and done that . I've got the knowledge and the technique still , so I can use it whenever I want .
so what are you working on now?

jski7

Reaction score
My current project is basically a nu-metalesque theme , with a few twists thrown in . I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel , but I am trying to do some things a little differently than the average band would . It's kinda like a
nu-metal Kings X , if I had to describe it . Kinda weird , but cool . :cool:

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
jski7 said:
Really ? You stopped liking them after you saw them live ? I liked them more after I saw them (and that all started on their first tour , before they were anybody) . I still like 'em , but I don't know why . I can't put my finger on it - it's just somethin' I guess . Their music has been with me through some hard times , and maybe that's it . As far as being objective Hawks , by all means . Everyone here knows I dig Korn and own a K7 , but I know alot of people despise them . Usually I defend them just to "stir the pot" , but in the end I know that if you don't like them and I do , who cares ? It's no biggie . It doesn't mean we can't agree to disagree , 'ya know ? ;)

And Laren , you do know that's not me in my avatar , right :eek: ? All I got to give is brotherly love :lol: ! As far as Korn turning into a cover band , just wait until they release their cover album which is in the works I believe . I like a good cover tune now and then , but I'd rather they try to get their own music on the radio etc. .

It was this concert of the Issues tour, in Vorst Nationaal ( big venue here). Lots of people, big atmosphere, and Korn reaaly fucks up... The were playing but they really looked like they didn't want to be there...
Didn't say one word to the crowd either.
That did it for me.

jski7

Reaction score
Hawksmoor said:
It was this concert of the Issues tour, in Vorst Nationaal ( big venue here). Lots of people, big atmosphere, and Korn reaaly fucks up... The were playing but they really looked like they didn't want to be there...
Didn't say one word to the crowd either.
That did it for me.
That sucks . For several of their first tours , they didn't interact with the crowd at all , and yeah , they looked like they didn't want to be there . Maybe it was a "moody" image they tried to project :rolleyes: . Anyhow , between Issues and Untouchables is when they started to interact more with the fans , atleast here in the US . Maybe someone told them that ignoring the fans sucks . But yeah , I agree with you on that one . I like a band to interact and talk shit and such , makes it more personal somehow .

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Korn put on a great show here in Maine back in 1997. A great show.
They will never be like the way they were. After '97, I never got into Korn that much but always appreciated what they were doing. I saw them in '98 too but the '97 show wins.:)

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Korn put on a good show here, but didn't really say much to the crowd either. This was a couple summers ago. Then again the line-up was (in order)

Three Days Grace
American Hi-Fi
Simple Plan
Korn
Nickelback

(with Simple Plan, Korn and Nickelback "co-headlining", but really Nickelback was the headliner)

My main complaint with Korn lately is letting Jon Davis produce, since he's ruined their sound and starting burying the guitars under the bass.

As for them being a "cover band" lately, they have talked about doing a covers album as well as a new proper album.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
Korn put on a good show here, but didn't really say much to the crowd either. This was a couple summers ago. Then again the line-up was (in order)

Three Days Grace
American Hi-Fi
Simple Plan
Korn
Nickelback

(with Simple Plan, Korn and Nickelback "co-headlining", but really Nickelback was the headliner)

My main complaint with Korn lately is letting Jon Davis produce, since he's ruined their sound and starting burying the guitars under the bass.

As for them being a "cover band" lately, they have talked about doing a covers album as well as a new proper album.

Nickelback headlining over Korn? WTF? :nuts:

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
jski7 said:
Well , it was Canada , correct ? I think that's where Nickelback are from - so maybe a national loyalty thing ?

Yep, Canada. But I doubt it's a national loyalty thing, I think it's a my-town-sucks thing :lol: Korn doesn't sell nearly as well as Nickelback does here. In the months leading up to the show, most people didn't even know Korn was playing the show (even though their name was on all the posters), all they knew was it was a Nickelback show.

See, the way my city works with concerts is this: When the opening act comes out, you stand there staring at them and basically ignoring them politely until they get off the stage, then when the headlining act comes on you scream like an idiot and try to beat the shit out of everyone around you, completely ignoring the music, but knowing that you're doing it right because it's someone famous and therefore worthy of respect.

Not to mention the only thing this town seems to care about is beer (Labatt's brewery in town, and almost everything here is named after it, including the only arena in town where all the biggest shows play). So this "festival" (they were hoping it'd be annual but it failed to sell out the first year and they gave up) was organized by Labatt's beer to celebrate Labatt's beer.

')