Why are music legends lining up to sell their music rights?

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ic-legends-are-lining-up-to-sell-their-rights

Not thought too much on this as I dont know all that much, I have read in a differnet article that the idea of these companies is to attract investors, the songs are commodities, the royalties act as income to be paid as a form of dividend payment to the share holders and the companies will go about agressively marketing the songs in order to maximise profits (anyone who knows more please correct me)

My inital feelings are that this is gonna be, short term great for older former huge acts like Dylan, Stevie Nicks, Blondie etc, though David Crosby's comments on why are pretty sobering, but in the long term bad for everyone who is trying to earn a living in music

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I'm of two minds about it. On one hand, I feel like any time an artist can retain the rights to their material, that's a good thing. On the other hand, they should be able to do whatever they want with those rights for their own benefit, and selling them now might be the shrewd move.

Dylan & Dolly have certainly made their nut over their respective lifetimes, and cashing-in is easier for estate planning purposes. And, like David Crosby said, relying on streaming income is impossible for lower-tier artists. For a lot of these 'legacy artists', I'd also argue that after the generations that grew up listening to them is gone, there's no guarantee that these catalogs are going to be as lucrative.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
Exactly what Demiurge said. If you’re Bob Dylan and you’re 80 years old and someone says ‘would you like to leave your family an extra 300 Million dollars?’ You say ‘Yes’.

Far better than betting on the uncertainty of percentages of streaming royalties.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Most likely the families would have sold the rights shortly after the death of their loved one and have to deal with the regret ("ARE WE DOING THE RIGHT THING") and the endless assault by fans ("BOB WOULD NEVER HAVE SOLD HIS SONGS"). Now it is done and out their hands. They just have stacks of cash and don't have to worry about dealing with a shady publishing house and shadier lawyers. A lot of these songwriters are saving the families a lot of hassle and grief.

Also, I recently sold the rights to my vast songwriting empire and I am buying a brand new paperback book from Amazon... but I am waiting for it to go on sale so that I can afford it without financing.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
I totally agree the artist has the right to do with their rights whatever they want and it makes complete sense for the likes of Dylan, Dolly etc to have such a huge payday. Perhaps its the idea of hedge fund investment companies moving in and trying to control music publishing rights in the same way they have other sectors that they bleed dry before moving on that is my worry longer term. Shareholder become more important than the artists rights... But im not a recording artist so what do I know :)

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I totally agree the artist has the right to do with their rights whatever they want and it makes complete sense for the likes of Dylan, Dolly etc to have such a huge payday. Perhaps its the idea of hedge fund investment companies moving in and trying to control music publishing rights in the same way they have other sectors that they bleed dry before moving on that is my worry longer term. Shareholder become more important than the artists rights... But im not a recording artist so what do I know :)

I wonder if Bob worked it out in the contract that they can't use his songs to sell - I dunno whatever you can think of --- like hot dog buns, latex paint, and stamps - until after he is dead and gone so that he doesn't regret his choice. Can you imagine Bob watching TV and him seeing a commercial for tampons while It's All Over Now, Baby Blue plays in the background? Or condoms with "Lay Lady Lay"? It might kill him unless he has a proper sense of humor.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Most likely the families would have sold the rights shortly after the death of their loved one and have to deal with the regret ("ARE WE DOING THE RIGHT THING") and the endless assault by fans ("BOB WOULD NEVER HAVE SOLD HIS SONGS"). Now it is done and out their hands. They just have stacks of cash and don't have to worry about dealing with a shady publishing house and shadier lawyers. A lot of these songwriters are saving the families a lot of hassle and grief.

Also, I recently sold the rights to my vast songwriting empire and I am buying a brand new paperback book from Amazon... but I am waiting for it to go on sale so that I can afford it without financing.
Please contact Jacob Dylan for consult.

Daddiikong

Husband, Father, Musician, Guardian.
Reaction score
I'm of two minds about it. On one hand, I feel like any time an artist can retain the rights to their material, that's a good thing. On the other hand, they should be able to do whatever they want with those rights for their own benefit, and selling them now might be the shrewd move.

Dylan & Dolly have certainly made their nut over their respective lifetimes, and cashing-in is easier for estate planning purposes. And, like David Crosby said, relying on streaming income is impossible for lower-tier artists. For a lot of these 'legacy artists', I'd also argue that after the generations that grew up listening to them is gone, there's no guarantee that these catalogs are going to be as lucrative.

I could not have put it any better.

')