Why are you happy right now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
7 months since I quit smoking the reefer. I don't think I've gone this long without since I started ~17 years ago. I hardly even miss it anymore. if you're thinking about quitting and you're reading this I'm here to tell you, just fuckin do it, you totally can and it's totally worth it.
For me it's been seven years since I've quit cold turkey. Best decision ever, glad you're doing this.
Personally, the hardest part wasn't the nicotine (your body usually takes 4-5 days to remove it and resetting) but re-learning to do things without having a cig.

I remember how awkward felt going out and having a drink without a cigarette on the other hand, or the morning coffe without smoking right after: it was like something was missing in my routine.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
As I wrote in another thread, my smart watch broke a while ago. First I thought oh shit, I'm gonna have to splurge on a new expensive device, but then I realized I've got travel insurance through the union I'm a member of, and that also includes "luggage". So I filed it, and yesterday I got a message saying they're sending me the original price minus 2 years age deduction (which is 10% per year). They never even asked me if I bought it new or used, and didn't even care that I didn't provide a receipt or anything. And the original price of the watch was 479€, so I should be getting something like 380€ back.

So I immediately bought a Galaxy Watch 7 44mm, which cost 289€ - so I essentially got a brand new watch + 100€ :lol: I'm also happy because the strap from my old watch fits this new one (I had ordered an elastic black metal strap for it), and the old chargers work as well.

Generally though, I don't see much difference between these devices - sure, the Watch 4 Classic had the rotating bezel, but I felt that was mostly just a gimmick, I never actually used it... And this new one is a fair bit lighter, but other than that it's the same watch. I hope battery life will be better though, I had to charge the Watch 4 every day even though I had most of the battery hungry features disabled. Also this new one is 2mm smaller, but the actual display is bigger. Which is nice, of course.

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Took my kids to Cedar Point today, on lunch now and we are having a blast. Their first trip here and rollercoasters are giving them some issues, but still just so awesome. I've been coming here for years, less than an hour drive from me, and so happy to finally bring them here.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
For me it's been seven years since I've quit cold turkey. Best decision ever, glad you're doing this.
Personally, the hardest part wasn't the nicotine (your body usually takes 4-5 days to remove it and resetting) but re-learning to do things without having a cig.

I remember how awkward felt going out and having a drink without a cigarette on the other hand, or the morning coffe without smoking right after: it was like something was missing in my routine.
Thank you brother. btw reefer=amerikan slang for cannabis. It's been about 7 years for me off cigs, too. Woke up one morning and just said "I'm tired of feeling like this" and that was that. I quit drinking soon after I quit cigs and that made it a lot easier, the drunk cravings were real. Had a few alcohol relapses since then but never went back to cigs, they absolutely disgust me now. I still struggle in social situations where everyone else is drinking alcohol, but I know who I am and what's important to me.

Cold turkey is the only way I've ever successfully quit anything, any "tapering off" just leads me back to my bullshit. I was shocked how intense my cannabis withdrawals were, the first couple weeks were a literal nightmare. Now I'm out here just raw-doggin' reality.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Cold turkey is the only way I've ever successfully quit anything, any "tapering off" just leads me back to my bullshit. I was shocked how intense my cannabis withdrawals were, the first couple weeks were a literal nightmare. Now I'm out here just raw-doggin' reality.
I agree; any time I've tried to phase something out it ultimately fails. Caffeine is a real struggle. I've tried to kick it a few times and have successfully [the cold turkey attempts, go figure] on a couple of occasions for a significant time, but then it so so easily pops back up with 'well a Red Bull today won't kill me and I could really use the shot in the arm right now' and before you know it we're right back at 'I really dont even feel like this today but if I don't have it I'm going to be praying for death by 1pm'.

Surprised to hear walking away from weed was tough, though. I smoke semi-regularly and I've 'accidentally quit' on several occasions where I ran out, couldn't be bothered to get more, and kind of just forgot about it. I think it's the one thing that I had zero resistance cutting off. Glad to hear you made it though man cutting any dependency on anything at all is no small feat and I'm sure you're measurably better off for it.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Surprised to hear walking away from weed was tough, though. I smoke semi-regularly and I've 'accidentally quit' on several occasions where I ran out, couldn't be bothered to get more, and kind of just forgot about it. I think it's the one thing that I had zero resistance cutting off. Glad to hear you made it though man cutting any dependency on anything at all is no small feat and I'm sure you're measurably better off for it.
Yeah it seems folks have a wide variance in their experiences with cannabis. It was actually harder for me to quit than cigs or alcohol, I think in part because I relied heavily on it to help me quit those other two; I had no "crutch" to lean on this time around.

Likewise, the culture of characterizing cannabis as harmless and non-addictive can be very harmful. It doesn't pose a problem for some folks, but others are clearly in denial as I was. If said I quit smoking meth nobody would question why, but I regularly have folks confused as to why I would even need or want to quit smoking weed.

I'm still on the caffeine train, but coffee and tea only, and only decaf after 12pm otherwise I can't sleep right.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
As I wrote in another thread, my smart watch broke a while ago. First I thought oh shit, I'm gonna have to splurge on a new expensive device, but then I realized I've got travel insurance through the union I'm a member of, and that also includes "luggage". So I filed it, and yesterday I got a message saying they're sending me the original price minus 2 years age deduction (which is 10% per year). They never even asked me if I bought it new or used, and didn't even care that I didn't provide a receipt or anything. And the original price of the watch was 479€, so I should be getting something like 380€ back.

So I immediately bought a Galaxy Watch 7 44mm, which cost 289€ - so I essentially got a brand new watch + 100€ :lol: I'm also happy because the strap from my old watch fits this new one (I had ordered an elastic black metal strap for it), and the old chargers work as well.

Generally though, I don't see much difference between these devices - sure, the Watch 4 Classic had the rotating bezel, but I felt that was mostly just a gimmick, I never actually used it... And this new one is a fair bit lighter, but other than that it's the same watch. I hope battery life will be better though, I had to charge the Watch 4 every day even though I had most of the battery hungry features disabled. Also this new one is 2mm smaller, but the actual display is bigger. Which is nice, of course.
I have the Galaxy Watch 4 and basically just use the rotating bezel as a fidget toy. :lol: I do find the clicks very satisfying but otherwise, yeah, just a gimmick. To be honest, though, I find smart watches in general very gimmicky outside fitness tracking stuff.

')