Why are you mad right now?

• Thread starter Faine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Spent $90 mailing my ex's stuff to her and still didn't even get rid of all of it. Spent several hours packing bags that she left at my place to give to a friend of hers so the insane amount of clothes she left with me will make their way back to her eventually.

And before people say "just throw that shit away" I did throw some of it out, but it was a mutual breakup based on distance and inability to plan for the future so I'm trying not to be a dick. She's also paypalling me back for the shipping. But still, when moving across the country you'd think you wouldn't leave this much stuff behind.

Demiurge

Reaction score
^Why throw shit out when you can donate it and get the tax write-off?

But seriously, while it's always nice to try not to be a dick during a mutual breakup, she's also giving you the shittier end of the deal. She's moved out and didn't even care to take responsibility for her own stuff.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
It's nice that spring's coming and it's sunny and all that, but could someone please make all the fucking birds go away? Those motherfuckers insist on trying to build their nests inside my chimney, so now I need to put a net on it to keep them out. I'm also a little bit afraid of heights, so it really sucks to have to climb up there with the net and cut it to fit and then also somehow tie it up so they don't rip it of with their beaks...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
I have a powerlifting competition in less than three weeks and I've managed to pull a few muscles in my upper back. Even just turning my head slightly is painful, let alone trying to lob weight around.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
October of last year I was asked my opinion on the condition of my friends dog. At that point the dog was very old and plagued with health issues. I very politely and empathically suggested that plans should probably be made for euthanasia. In December the animals health had degraded significantly more. At that time, I more adamantly recommended the dog be put down VERY SOON. In February my friend asked me again for my opinion. At that point I advised that the dog needed to be euthanized immediately. I also was not as compassionate towards my friends feelings. By now the dog was defecating with seemingly complete incontinence, exhibiting a lack of motor function, had lost noticeable muscle mass, and had undergone a substantial amt of weight loss. The dog by this point was also showing signs of breathing difficulty and incoherence. I finally told my friend that this was not fair to the animal, that the quality of life was absolutely obliterated, and that her decision to keep this animal alive was bordering on selfish, irresponsible, and cruel. I told her that imo, the dog was and had been suffering for quite some time and that I wouldn't consult with her about this any further. I did everything that I could to convince her to do the right thing. I also encouraged her to consider that if she continue to act so indiscriminately, that she would likely face the difference between a "peaceful death" and a "painful/ difficult death".

Yesterday she texted me that she had put the dog down and that it was horrible due to the dogs physical discomfort and due to complications in administration of the sedative. My reply was that at least her "beloved companion" wasn't suffering anymore. I conveyed my sympathy as well but I was rather short and I honestly felt fairly callus. I'm just pissed that she put this animal through all of this suffering... prolonging the inevitable simply because she couldn't bring herself to act responsibly. She texted me back and long story short... is seemingly angry at my reply and turning this around to make it about her... her suffering, loneliness, etc.

TLDR... Don't adopt god-damned animals that you're not willing or able to responsibly care for... to the very end!

watson503

Los Cochinos
Reaction score
I have a powerlifting competition in less than three weeks and I've managed to pull a few muscles in my upper back. Even just turning my head slightly is painful, let alone trying to lob weight around.
If you can, visit a chiropractor - I tweaked my back two weeks out from a meet and my chiropractor saved me from having to pull out.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
angry at my reply and turning this around to make it about her... her suffering, loneliness, etc.
To be fair, this sounds like someone who really was attached to the animal. You're not wrong to be upset that your advice was ignored, but on some level, I can't fault her for being upset either. Just by the nature of the situation, everyone loses.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Having to put down a pet is never easy, but High Plains is right, you need to consider the animal's well-being and quality of life. I've been mentally preparing myself to have one of my parents' cats, which by extension is one of my own since she's been with us since I was 13, put down, maybe even this year. She's around 16 years old now and has always been over-weight (see my posts in the SSO Pet Thread). The last month or so she's been extremely lethargic, peeing way more, and losing weight, but not in the right places. My dad started giving her insulin shots last week though and it seems to be helping her a lot. She's looking more like herself, which makes me happy but I know I'm gonna have to arrange something soon. I want to give her until at least spring/summer time so she can have a few nice days of chilling outside in the backyard before she has to go, just hoping her condition doesn't get any worse.

Maybe this should've gone in the Why are You Sad thread....

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
To be fair, this sounds like someone who really was attached to the animal. You're not wrong to be upset that your advice was ignored, but on some level, I can't fault her for being upset either. Just by the nature of the situation, everyone loses.

High Plains is totally right, but at the same time, that doesn't matter to his friend. Ted is right here; it doesn't matter that High Plains was correct from the start, and it doesn't matter that his friend should have done this months ago, his friend is still in pain. She was attached to this dog and even though she didn't handle this whole thing properly, she's still going to be sad that her dog is gone. Just because someone made a mistake doesn't mean that they are undeserving of sympathy for that. It must be frustrating to be someone that knew better, but she obviously didn't.

@High Plains Drifter I'd probably tell her pretty much what you posted here. That you were frustrated that she had ignored your consul for so long, and as someone with an attachment to animals, seeing it kept around in the state that it was was upsetting to you. Let her know that you really do feel for her and that you're sorry you let your agitation bleed through into your response to what must have been a traumatic event (because I'm assuming you are). A reasonable person would understand, I think.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
There is certainly some sadness fueling my rant above... as well as anger. I'm very compassionate when it comes to quality of life issues in both people and animals. This incident was really quite difficult to witness because although I do understand both sides, I feel like the animal suffered needlessly for far too long. I know it's rough... I've been there before and I know I'll be there again at some point with our precious Jaida but I dunno... It became harder for me to feel sympathy towards my friend as the dogs health declined. My heart indeed breaks for her right now... I'm just angry that due to her putting her own feelings above the well-being of the dog, that this was made even worse. I believe that had she taken my advice to heart, that it would've been much less traumatic for everyone. Thanks for the comments on this. I agree with all of it. Also, @ Black Mastodon... you and your wonderful floof are in my thoughts. Sounds like she's in very loving hands.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
High Plains is totally right, but at the same time, that doesn't matter to his friend. Ted is right here; it doesn't matter that High Plains was correct from the start, and it doesn't matter that his friend should have done this months ago, his friend is still in pain. She was attached to this dog and even though she didn't handle this whole thing properly, she's still going to be sad that her dog is gone. Just because someone made a mistake doesn't mean that they are undeserving of sympathy for that. It must be frustrating to be someone that knew better, but she obviously didn't.

@High Plains Drifter I'd probably tell her pretty much what you posted here. That you were frustrated that she had ignored your consul for so long, and as someone with an attachment to animals, seeing it kept around in the state that it was was upsetting to you. Let her know that you really do feel for her and that you're sorry you let your agitation bleed through into your response to what must have been a traumatic event (because I'm assuming you are). A reasonable person would understand, I think.

I don't mean to come across as anything less than supportive towards her and it's definitely true that my friend is hurting right now and has been... and supporting her is what is now most important. I just feel as if we as caregivers need to act in the best interest of our companions. The end result was going to be the same for my friend but even she indicated in her texts the other day, that this was visibly tough for the dog due to the complications... complications that wouldn't have existed had she acted more responsibly and had the dog euthanized sooner rather than later. Water under the bridge now I guess.

I will say that I just texted her after reading these replies and told her that I was thinking about her and hoping that she was doing okay and that if she wants to get together this wknd, that we'd love to see her. I don't feel any less sympathy for her. It was just difficult and aggravating to be a part of this. In the end though, you guys are right... compassion towards my friend should not be negated just because of our differences in opinions and the resulting decision to delay the inevitable. Thank you for helping to keep me grounded.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score

Yeah, but the animal lost the most though. What could have been much less torturous wasn't so because of her selfishness.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
My head and my heart aren't allowing me to feel anymore anger at this point. But yeah... if you'd seen what I did ( admittedly as an outsider but still...) I have no doubt that you would've felt the same way. It is selfish and I'm not defending anything about her, but I know it's also different when day to day she might've not seen the changes as rapidly as someone spectating. She said that her sister had said "she looks fine" or something to that effect but I know her sister well enough to realize that she likely wouldn't have any genuinely invested feelings. Anyway... I'm really glad that 'Sweetie' is out of her misery.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Loving or caring about something shouldn't always be an excuse. There can be selfishness, jealousy, and overprotective behavior that can cloud judgment. Everybody's experiences are different, but I can't really say that anyone who has meant me harm has hurt me more than people who did things under the belief that they were acting in my best interests.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Kids boy scout shit again today... This time his dad was supposed to take him (he's at his dad's place bi-weekly and now's his week), but he had something more important to attend to, and won't be able to pick him up either, so guess who signed up for some extra driving... Oh well, minor thing, as I'm taking my daughter to "music play school" around the same time anyway, we just have to leave home half an hour earlier. What really makes my head explode though, is that my wife told her son to come home early so he can rest before the scout stuff, and of course he forgot his keys at home. The temperature's been around 0-5C the last couple of weeks, but now it just dropped to -10 again. Since he doesn't have the keys, he can't get in and will likely be there freezing his ass of once I get there... Fucking nice planning, everyone.

Last edited:

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Now you know why many doctors and vets get cold with time - they almost have to. Can’t tell a guy whose already had a heart attack to stop eating cheeseburgers a 50th time and not just get angry at their hubris. It’s not ignorance at that point. I don’t blame you for focusing on the animal. That was the one thing within their control - the animals well-being. The owner was too self-absorbed to worry about anything but their own feelings. Of course it’s sad and they are likely going to cry either way, but one way would not have had the animal freely defacating and struggling to breath in its last days.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Now you know why many doctors and vets get cold with time - they almost have to. Can’t tell a guy whose already had a heart attack to stop eating cheeseburgers a 50th time and not just get angry at their hubris. It’s not ignorance at that point. I don’t blame you for focusing on the animal. That was the one thing within their control - the animals well-being. The owner was too self-absorbed to worry about anything but their own feelings. Of course it’s sad and they are likely going to cry either way, but one way would not have had the animal freely defacating and struggling to breath in its last days.

I faced this with my own corgi, Kodi. I wanted to wait until he got worse but I knew that was only to delay my own grief. So I acted on his behalf... sparing any potential additional suffering. I've heard people say that "You'll know when it's their time to go". I don't necessarily agree. I didn't "know" that it was his time but due to his rapidly deteriorating condition, I wasn't willing to wait until I "knew for sure because he's definitely suffering now!". I couldn't prolong it at that point. What she did was to allow her dog to live far beyond any degree of comfort, happiness, etc. It was horrible watching my little guy pass but at least I didn't stretch out the inevitable to suit my own feelings.

I think that part of the reason that I replied here today is due to more potential negligence from her yet again. She left last Fri to go out of town for a couple days. She said that she needed to stay active and not dwell on the now empty house. I understand that but first off... she has three cats! Second... she's normally away from home a great deal anyway. And third... those cats need her attention too! But whatever... all good. My wife and I go over to take care of the cats ( as we've done numerous times over the years) and holy-shit... the only litter box that she uses ( for three fucking cats) is completely full of waste. So we clean it out and put fresh litter in it. We take care of the cats Friday night and Saturday am & pm as planned. We don't hear anything back from her until LATE Sunday night when she texts and says that she won't be back until Monday afternoon! Luckily they're cats lol. But come on!

Latest posts