Why are you sad right now?

• Thread starter Alex Kenivel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
I got caught using the bathroom as a spray booth :realmad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Just make every other word 'Misery'. Works for some dude in a band everyone loves here.
th

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Lol I've got something like 7 songs to put lyrics to within the next week and a half.... I can handle the delivery but the writing part just isn't intuitive to me. It's always the part of a project where I start to get into that "my god, what I'm I doing, I'm terrible at this" funk where suddenly every mix sounds bad, the vocals are grating, progress and motivation slow down and I have to give myself a time limit to get stuff done. Even right now, I sat down to write and I ended up here instead. :lol:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Fun story: I've been on SSO less often lately, and it's mostly because I've been off work. :lol:

What I mean to say is that I'm very productive at work.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I took pretty much all of January off (I go back to work next Monday) in the hopes that I could write and record some new music. And I'm stuck in a spot where I can't write lyrics, the mix sounds bad, there's zero coherency between any of the songs, and it feels like I've wasted my vacation making a bunch of garbage.

Fuck.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
It is. But also, I bit off arguably more than I thought at first, and getting close to the end of an arbitrary time limit is starting to cause some stress. 7 songs might have been a bit much. Trying to do everything from scratch in a month: Write stuff, track all the instrument, lyrics, vocals, mix it, etc. The idea is that it's sort of "game jam" style where you just do what you can in the limit time and put out what you come up with. It's not the end of the world if the result isn't amazing. Or if I cut some songs. But I don't want to put a whole load of garbage out under my name, or anything that's going to embarrass myself.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Reaction score
Finally met a girl I care about immensely, it was going amazingly, then after a little more than a month she decided that after a really rough break up and a rough year, she wasn't ready for a relationship right now, but doesn't want to lose me so when she's got her head together we can maybe give it a shot. It's been 3 weeks now, and it's hard. I told myself I'd be there for her when she needs me, and anything worth having doesn't come easy, but this might be too hard. Some days she can't get enough of me. Some days she doesn't want to talk to me at all. She'll be polite, but it'll be very clear she wants me to not be around at that time, so I give her space. All the while, my feelings grow stronger. I've never met anyone so compatible, and right when we were on the cusp of becoming something real, it was almost entirely gone. Sometimes I wonder if she's just keeping me around for her own needs and in her mind there's actually no chance of us ever being together. I was never under the illusion it was a guarantee, but it's a chance I was willing to take. I don't know how much longer I can keep it up, though. I've been hounding my friends about this, as it's a really confusing time for me, and I'm sure they're sick of it. So you internet strangers get to read about my plight now.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
When I graduated college, my first job was in Japan. I lived there about 2 years (during which time I joined this forum!!), and I felt I had spent enough time there and I was ready to "move on" and "get my """""real"""" life started" back in America. Living in Japan was, from the beginning, only ever intended to be a temporary thing. Something to put on my resume and boost my Japanese language skills.

5 years later... America fucking sucks, guys. It's a shitty, broken society comprised 100% of people who are ultimately trying to fuck each other over. We've got broken fucked up streets and shitty crumbled sidewalks. Everyone under 30 is poor as fuck and the only jobs they can get are working for tips. Anyone making a salary makes it their life's purpose to do absolutely as little work as possible while on the clock.

We sell cars with 100k miles for $10k despite that they will need multiple thousand dollar fixes within the next 5,000 miles.
You gotta worry about people stealing from you, at all times. Not only muggers who will try to jack you or maybe kill you dead with a gun, but you shouldn't even walk away from your bag to use a restroom. Left you phone on the train? Say goodbye. And cancel all your shit immediately because someone will try to fraud you. Endless scam calls to your personal phone number.
People let their kids act like horrible little shits and give you a death stare for even hinting that you're annoyed.
Teachers failing nationwide to successfully instill education in their pupils. Our answer? Just lower the standards. Or shut it down.
In any major metropolitan area, and even sometimes just normal medium sized cities/towns, we take it as a given that there are certain sections that you simply shouldn't visit--because it's too dangerous. You gotta ought to think about if you're walking on a good block or a bad block when you see a group of people standing on the [broken, shitty] sidewalk.
Ultra-retarded shitty healthcare system everyone knows.
If you rent an apartment for less than 70% of your paycheck you can rest assured that it is totally old as fuck and falling apart, certainly not cleaned or repainted before you move in. Don't expect that air filter to have been changed within the past 2 decades. Plus you've got a greater than 50% chance of the shyster property manager trying to stick you with damages that were there from the previous tenant.
Neighbors everywhere are irreverent, loud assholes. This is my house! I can do what I want!
Construction workers build as slowly as they can. Taxi drivers take the most expensive route. We're a nation of people trying to cheat.

...there's plenty more, but I'm running out of steam. TL;DR, from having lived as an adult in Japan and then in the United States, I'm disappointed as fuck in this place. Sure, I can understand why someone would want to move here from a 3rd world shithole, but compared to a proper 1st world nation, America doesn't even come close. I've never been, but I am under the impression that many of our European users can back this up.

The only good things about the United States is the prevalence of weed and metal scenes.

Obviously this wouldn't apply to someone who is unable to speak Japanese or unable to reconcile their western upbringing with living in Japan, but for myself, aside from my immediate family and a couple friends, I can think of exactly zero reasons to stay here. Which makes me feel sad. I thought I was gonna build my life... but really, that would be pretty foolish when I have the means to live someplace much better.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
America fucking sucks, guys.
Legit suggestion: Try Canada. We inherit a lot of things from the US - and while I've never been to America - I'm pretty certain we're more different than you would think at first. I live (more or less) and work in the fourth largest city in the country, and while we're not without problems, it's not even close to as bad as I hear people describe the 'States.

Our streets aren't great, but they're worse in Quebec than in Ontario. Ottawa is basically always under construction, so it's less that the streets are bad, just that they're almost always backed up. Theft is still a concern, but not as bad as you've described it. If you drop your wallet or an ID here, people will try to return it most of the time. Sometimes with money still in it. I go to coffee shops with a laptop pretty often, and I can leave the laptop on the table to go get food and come back without anything being stolen. (I shouldn't do that, but I can.) Violence isn't non-existent, but I don't fear walking down the streets at night (sure I'm not a visible minority or a woman, but it's still something). People like to poke fun at Quebec, but I live super cheaply compared to most people in comparable situations in Ontario. Are people still cheap, lazy, loud assholes that just want to do whatever they want with no concern for their neighbors? Sometimes! But I've had more friendly and considerate neighbors than asshole neighbors. Again - weirdly, I've always had the best neighbors in Quebec, despite the language barrier at times.

The US is a big place, maybe you just need to find a different piece of it?