Why buy a 7?

• Thread starter jori1995
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jori1995

Reaction score
Active pickups certainly don't limit what genres you can play at all. My EMG808s are perfectly versatile. I jumped from a six to an eight with no idea of what I'd play besides jamming along to Meshuggah.

After nearly two years, I found the answer to what I'd play with the two lower strings: everything. There's nothing I haven't enjoyed playing on an extended-range guitar. Just ask yourself, is there anything you want to play with the extended range? You said you already want to play some progressive metal and stuff like that. I'd say take the plunge. (But I don't see why you shouldn't get a good quality one?)
quz if I buy an expensive 7 string now and I find out that I don't even like 7 strings its kind of a waste of money

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't really have any experience with active pickups, and I don't think I really need that extra power that it gives, because it also does limit the genres you play.
How so?

quz if I buy an expensive 7 string now and I find out that I don't even like 7 strings its kind of a waste of money
Buy a decent used one, then if you don't like it you can sell it for most of what you paid for it.

Schecter Damien 7's are a great value a NEW non-elite version, which comes with passive EMGs, is only $450. And you can get them with a floyd rose if want. I bought mine used from a pawnshop and got it with a case for $300.

filipe200x

Custom is better
Reaction score

Hey! You shouldn't complain about prices while living in the U.S. or Europe. Here in Brazil a RG 7321 costs exactly 1,437.19 USD. :noplease: (You can check it here if you don't believe me Guitarra RG7321 Black - Ibanez - Submarino.com.br)

But answering your question, there are 2 cool things about 7/8 string guitars:

1) The fact that you are seriously more badass than 6 string players.

2) The tonal possibilities the instrument gives you.

If you play pop, for example, you can drop de low B to low A, and you can play barre chords that will sound much fuller.

If you solo and riff a lot, it will allow you to hit more notes without moving your hands too much. And so on...

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
The way I see it, I have a dedicated metal rhythm guitar - 6 string with EMG's tuned B - B with heavy strings 12-60. If I want to play a solo I generally use a a guitar tuned E-E with 9-42's.

Why not have one guitar that can have 9 - 60 gauge strings and tune B - E ?

What you need in this situation is a 7 string! :D

If you don't play lead guitar there is no point in having a 7 string, better to tune a 6 string down and use heavy strings.

Kahless

Reaction score
The extra string can be a bonus to a wide variety of genres - You can tune it as you like, while still playing all of the standard tuning songs the same way on the six usual strings.
e.g. you could use the extra string as a drone string for celtic folk, or use it as a bassline string to work alongside your chords or melodies, e.g. bass line comping for jazz. You can also play B-tuned songs and normal songs on the same guitar, Have it tuned for drop tuning without missing your usual songs, Tune it to E to make very strongly voiced power chords in normal tuning (not that i have any examples of this but it seems like an interesting idea), and finally, you could use it in normal tuning songs to make noises by turning the peg, without worrying about having to tune up after the experimental splat!
If you have a looper you can use it to improvise adequate jamming basslines, and if you are working on use it to work on bassline ideas (more the tonality than the full melody) so your bassist doesn't have to perfect his or her lines before you record your melody (though there are other solutions there).

However, a better sounding guitar is better than a guitar with an extra string - Though something mentioned alot in this topic is better than both ;)
On the subject of saving money, some may choose to have one sevenstring to avoid having to have two six strings with different tunings for live sessions.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't play lead guitar there is no point in having a 7 string, better to tune a 6 string down and use heavy strings.
I like how one person will say 6s are better for leads and then the another will claim they are better for rhythm and another will claim you can't solo well on a 7. :nono:

el nowy

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
If you are thinking about purchasing a 7 string guitar you don't need more reasons. Get a second hand one and try it, and if you don't like just sell it :cool:

Actually there's no need for a 7er axe to play leads, you can tune down a 6 string one to Drop-B :hbang:

exo

Reaction score

Gotta disagree harshly. the "G" string on a 7 is actually tuned "F#" on a downtuned 6. You still lose range that can be utilized in rythm playing, and there are chord voicings you can't get on a 6 that you can on a 7. it also sorta works vice versa in that you won't play the same chord fingerings on that downtuned 6 that you would on a seven, once you get out of the wound strings and onto the plain ones. Easiest example I can think of off the top of my head is the "melody" rhythm piece from Amon Amarth's "Twilight of the Thunder God". fingering positions would be a different beast on a 7, because it was originally played on a 6.......There's applications for BOTH instruments within rhythm work, and they're not necessarily interchangeable. depends entirely onthe piece you're playing and the way you play/write.

')