Why did the required input gain levels for my interface suddenly increase?

sevenstringdjentman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Confusing title, I know.

But here's what I mean. My guitar has active pickups and too record and use it with my interface. I would set the input gain level to about 12 o clock and it would work without clipping. However one day I started monitoring and it sounded really weak and I had to really hit the strings to hear anything. I tried changing the battery on the guitar and that didn't work. I then tried turning up the input gain and it sounded "normal". Normal in quotes because it is really distorted. However it doesn't clip when it's set to this level. I don't know what to do. It seems like the input amount needed has been changed. Volume knob at 10, tone knob at 10.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Tried a new cable? Checked the output jack on the guitar? Cable was all the way in?

sevenstringdjentman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tried a new cable? Checked the output jack on the guitar? Cable was all the way in?
The cable works for my other guitar and I've only had this guitar for a few months, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the output either.

Reaction score
Sounds like the kind of issue i'd get with my old cheap focusrite scarletts after some time. What interface are you using?

mastapimp

Reaction score
2 of my guitars have EMGs and every time i've experienced this, it's cause the cable isn't all the way in the jack or the battery is just about dead.

')