Why do people dislike Tune-o-matics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielzabolotny

Reaction score
I've recently seen a lot of people expressing negative opinions about the TOM-style bridge. Is there any real reasoning for this? Does it not allow you to get low enough action? I have a guitar with a TOM bridge and it's never given me any problems. It's the simplest bridge out there, what could possibly go wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AySay

Banned
Reaction score
I personally hate how bulky, and obtrusive it is, and how it needs an angled neck. Comparing to a hipshot fixed bridge or something, it seems almost archaic. Maybe they are OK for appearances sake on some older/ vintage looking guitars (ie Gibson), but other than that they seem outdated.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've recently seen a lot of people expressing negative opinions about the TOM-style bridge. Is there any real reasoning for this? Does it not allow you to get low enough action? I have a guitar with a TOM bridge and it's never given me any problems. It's the simplest bridge out there, what could possibly go wrong?

Same reason folks hate trems, fixed bridges, etc. It's all preference.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Not being able to adjust individual string heights is annoying, other than that it is indeed pure preference. I hated them for the longest time but have been playing on one exclusively for the past couple months and it doesn't bother me at all anymore.

Reaction score
They're incredibly uncomfortable and all bumpy. When you go to say sweep or something like that where you want to push your right hand down instead of a flat super smooth feel it's all bumpy and annoying.

I also dislike how ibby's ToM (Gibralter) style bridge you can't move the saddles that far back, which kind of sucks IMO. No clue if it's a problem with some other styles of ToM bridges but it is stupid stupid problem.

danielzabolotny

Reaction score
Ah I see, thanks for sharing, guys :) I just keep seeing people mentioning TOM's on NGD threads, so I was curious. And Stealthdjentstic what do you mean it's bumpy? I don't recall needing to palm mute during sweeps :p

Reaction score
Ah I see, thanks for sharing, guys :) I just keep seeing people mentioning TOM's on NGD threads, so I was curious. And Stealthdjentstic what do you mean it's bumpy? I don't recall needing to palm mute during sweeps :p

You certainly do need to mute the last string as you're going up while sweeping otherwise it'll all ring out :scratch:

The bridge is just...not flat, you can feel each saddle, which compared to something like an ibby lo pro or OFR, sucks.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I have a fretless with a TOM bridge, and there's no way to get the harmonic to line up with the 12th "fret" marker when using anything other than standard tuning... which kills the usefulness of the markers. The fact that the halfway point on all the strings can't be adjusted to be at the same place across the fretboard is irritating.

But, it was the only fretless guitar I could find at a reasonable price which isn't converted from a fretted, so I endure it. Thankfully the fingerboard is just plain ebony, with no markings.

Things could be worse, right? I could have a TOM on a fretless with fret lines, constantly telling me with every finger placement that the bridge couldn't accommodate full fifths tuning....

broj15

Reaction score
I don't really mind a TOM bridge but i do wish more manufacturers made guitars with a recessed TOM. They are basically the same but they sit closer to the body and are much less visually obtrusive. I do think hipshot style bridges are more comfortably but i don't really have a problem with the TOM.

danielzabolotny

Reaction score
I have a fretless with a TOM bridge, and there's no way to get the harmonic to line up with the 12th "fret" marker when using anything other than standard tuning... which kills the usefulness of the markers. The fact that the halfway point on all the strings can't be adjusted to be at the same place across the fretboard is irritating.

Huh, haven't heard of that problem before, interesting... :scratch:

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Isn't tough to get them to intonate at lower tunings too dude to how little range you have in the saddles?

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
1. I tear the crap out of my picking hand whenever I play one. I'm talking pain and moderate amount of blood on the guitar here. Do not want.

2. Can't adjust individual string heights.

3. Very limited range of adjustment - hopeless for bigger gauge strings.

Dayn

Reaction score
Personally, I just dislike the neck angle. And I suppose it's annoying for thicker string gauges.

There are two other things which don't bother me, though. String-through, but you can get a tailpiece but would require modding for a guitar that didn't have one. And the bridge itself... is actually quite comfortable if you have a good one. I picked up a replacement Gotoh TOM and it's soooooo smooth. No sharp things.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
i love TOMs!

i've got past being picky about bridges or neck profiles, but i really prefer the comfort of a TOM over flat mount bridges/trems.

Goatfork

Reaction score
I have a TOM bridge on one of my main guitars, and more than once while playing live have I picked to hard for the bridge and knocked the string off the saddle and spent a couple seconds looking like a dumb-ass on stage trying to fix it. It kinda sucks.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Recessed Toms are nice, I don't mind the normal ones either. But I just generally prefer the hipshot styled more, Aesthetically and functionability it suits me more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')