Why Do You Hate Deathcore?

• Thread starter BlindingLight7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
to almost all[/U] that "core" (*waits for Peter to chime into this discussion :lol:) stuff.

:lol:

but i won't, i give up because i dont want to become Don Quijote.

for "deathcore" - i absolutely do not like bands like waking the cadaver, or all these bands where there is only 10 second blast - 2 minute breakdown - 5 second blast - end. weeebreee all over. also i absoutely hate when there are only song-titles like "fisting for a bitch free world" or some lame ass shit.

on the other hand - even MY band has been labeled "deathcore" by a mag, so what shall i do now? :lol::lol: but we have lyrics. and they are not about raping and wifebeating. :scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
on the other hand - even MY band has been labeled "deathcore" by a mag, so what shall i do now? :lol::lol: but we have lyrics. and they are not about raping and wifebeating. :scratch:

No. Just no. Reanima is death metal. I refuse to believe anything else. :lol:

song-titles like "fisting for a bitch free world" or some lame ass shit.
Wait. What?
That's what i meant with stupid lyrics :lol:

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Homogeny is why I don't like deathcore. If a truly original band pops out from it, I'll enjoy it, but I have heard very few impress me, if at all.

I already have problems with bands that sound like others, so when theres an entire scene of bands that the most you can tell them apart by is who has the longest song title, then they can go and bollocks as far as I'm concerned.

Simply put, theres much better music to listen to as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather listen to death metal, not disseminated generic watered down death metal, give me Behemoth, Origin, Decapitated, Vital Remains, Necrophagist, Obscura, Nonexist, Death, Decrepit Birth, Spawn Of Possession, Gorguts etc etc, over whatever generic breakdown-obsessed crap coming out of the "scene"

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Wait. What?
That's what i meant with stupid lyrics :lol:

yeah, i dont remeber the exact name, but on a german board i had some discussions with this guy from such a deathcore "oui oui ouiouioui breeee" band, and theyr CD, or the track (i dont remember right now) was called "RESPECT THE FIST BITCH!" or something like that, and then there was that "fisting for a bitch free world" thing, the cover was a womans face, with bloody lips...what a douche, he asked for opinions, i told him that the music sucks and that all these titles may only be funny if your IQ is below a potatoe ones - and thats still my opinion. he then came up with "blabla, metal shall not be political correct and is not for pussies hohoho" - yeah man, but its also not for retarted wannabe gangsters who think its "funny" to hit girls.

on the other hand, i think its funny to beat up guys who like to beat up girls. :D

No. Just no. Reanima is death metal. I refuse to believe anything else. :lol:

:wub:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like/dislike deathcore anymore than other genres really.
Just like any genre (IMO) it has it's share of good bands and crap bands, it's innovators and imitators.g
The Red Chord, All Shall Perish, Whitechapel, Despised Icon, I like 'em.
As Blood Runs Black, The Acacia Strain, Shot Down Sun, don't do it for me.
I like some bands, I don't like some, I guess:shrug:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Obsessing over genres seems like a waste of time to me. I don't care for most of those bands either, but it's not the fault of the genre, there are just not a lot of good songwriters out there right now with any originality.

I dig Job For A Cowboy although they're more death metal nowadays.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
I think that I've managed to avoid deathcore. Yay for me. I do like The Faceless and Cephalic Carnage but have no idea who these others are!

Then again, for me metalcore still kind of means the late 90s type stuff like Length of Time, Arkangel & so on rather then the more modern stuff. I suppose it's metal but like hardcore as there's less screwing around. Which is why I give up on definitions because it seems that what people call metalcore now is pretty much all wanking about! :wallbash:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I refuse to obsess over genres.

"Generally" there are a couple i dont much like, but if i hear something thats in the same genre, im not going to not listen or anything stupid like that. Same thing goes the other way too, just because a band is a certain genre, doesnt mean im going to fucking listen to it.

nespythe

Reaction score
It's not that I hate deathcore, It's just that I'd much rather listen to something else.
But then again, it does have the ability to morph into this:

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
To me, deathcore combines all the boring superficial aspects of modern death metal and "hardcore" and neglects everything that makes those genres enjoyable. The kids who play it like to hide behind irony as an excuse for being horrible songwriters and often act as if having "hilarious" lyrics about Gucci sweaters or Linux kernels or whatever somehow makes them more highbrow than classic death metal bands. I get the impression that most of them were listening to Limp Bizkit a couple of years ago and I resent them for treating one of my favourite metal genres as little more than a punchline to an unfunny joke.

Quoted for truth!!!! :yesway:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
What the hell was that awful "Waking the cadaver" shit? Even without the comedy video, that song exemplifies everything that is wrong with deathcore. All those death core bands need to go study Morbid Angel's "Gateways to Annihilation", realise how much they have failed and sell their gear.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
To me, deathcore combines all the boring superficial aspects of modern death metal and "hardcore" and neglects everything that makes those genres enjoyable. The kids who play it like to hide behind irony as an excuse for being horrible songwriters and often act as if having "hilarious" lyrics about Gucci sweaters or Linux kernels or whatever somehow makes them more highbrow than classic death metal bands. I get the impression that most of them were listening to Limp Bizkit a couple of years ago and I resent them for treating one of my favourite metal genres as little more than a punchline to an unfunny joke.

Sage.

Reaction score
deathcore has really hurt metal for me. i've turned to rap/hip hop for a little break.

i can only listen to periphery and meshuggah for metal...at least for the past few weeks.

modern thrash needs to become the next 'metal trend' :shred:
Check out Rumpelstiltskin Grinder. Probably my favorite thrash band at the moment.

as far as Ion Dissonance goes, the previous albums fall into "math metal", if you consider that a real genre. Whatever they are, they're definitely not deathcore.

Now for the OP question:
I hate deathcore because it is extremely monotonous and trendy. All the bands are pretty much clones of each other, and songs are really only distinguishable because of the breakdowns. They should learn to write some real riffs and come back in ten years.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't even know what bands are "real" deathcore. Veil of Maya apparently is deathcore but the riffs they play are technical as fuck and even though they have a bad habit of never, ever repeating a riff, there is a lot going on there musically. Old Gojira could technically be deathcore too. Breakdowns everywhere!

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
All Brokencyde references should carry a NSFA (not safe for anywhere) tag. :squint:

"Let's get freaky now, let's get fuckin' freaky now""BLAHGEWH!"

I want to kneecap that motherfucker. :mad:

Brokencyde is still the funniest shit I´ve ever seen in my life. :lol:

The part that isn´t funny is that they take themselves seriously.

Anyway, what is deathcore? Give me some band names! By the name I´m already pre-judging that it sucks, just like metalcore, it must be bland generic crap...

groph

Reaction score
Wow, that crap was an actual band? Hilarious.

The biggest thing with deathcore that I can't stand is the fact that the bands just don't "get it", it's almost like a mockery of death metal, which in my opinion is the best music that has ever been created. The absolutely redundant breakdowns are a bit aggravating as well. The purpose of a breakdown is to emphasize the heaviness. I also hate it when you can see a breakdown coming (cough DESPISED ICON cough) two minutes before it happens, the band just winds down, one guitar just rings out an open power chord, the vocalist says something, and the hi hat does some steady rhythm for a few measures, and then there goes the breakdown. And another. Then the pre-post breakdown breakdown, then the post breakdown, then the bridge breakdown, then the breakdown of the breakdown, then the breakdown after the breakdown of the breakdown, then a breakdown, then the song is over, after the concluding breakdown. This is of course grossly exaggerated, but you get my point... Oh, and sweep arpeggios during these breakdowns. There's tons of breakdowns in traditional death metal too, so it's not the breakdown itself that I hate, it's the shameless overuse of it.

Anyway, there's a lot of really good, original sounds coming out of some of this, such as The Faceless, Veil of Maya, Born of Osiris, stuff that has been mentioned. Beneath the Massacre is really good too. There's a good scene in Quebec for that kind of thing, it seems.

So while I've got some prejudices towards deathcore, I believe that a band has the right to do whatever they want.

DISCLAIMER: I also don't know what bands would fall under the "deathcore" category since genres of music aren't rigid rules but rather general guidelines that are mostly meaningless. Bands are made with the intention to make music, and influences interweave and a new sound is made. I use the term "deathcore" to describe stupid stuff like early Job For A Cowboy and anything by Suicide Silence.

Ze Kink

the black wizards
Reaction score
Well, I don't really like anything about it. It's pretty much the same thing as with nu-metal; a couple of good bands, and the rest are just masses of poop copying each other.

However, I do like the fact that they're using 7-strings again, because more manufacturers have now started offering 7-string models (and even 8-string models).

Actually, I'll just...

+1 :agreed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')