Why does no such amp exist? (or does it)?

• Thread starter MetalHex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On paper to me the Peavey Invective sounds like an amazing setup. Its got a built in boost/gate, midi switching, etc...

Something that would make this great amp concept even better, would be of it had built in modulation effects.

What I don't want is to have anything in the 4cm with cables everywhere. What else I dont want are pedals everywhere.

What I do want is to have one footswitch pedal, like the invective has....but be able to go from a gated/boosted lead channel, to a clean channel WITH chorus and delay with one press of a button, WITHOUT 4 cables everywhere. So either the pedal would have to act as a Mfx unit, or the amp would have to have the effects built in. The effects wouldnt have to be the absolute best quality, just good.

Otherwise the way the invective is now I would be halfway there, as I would still have to run external pedals. I know it has the 9v supply on the back, but I still would need pedals.

Ideally I would run one cable to the footswitch, and a second cable to the amp, and have everything I want in between without using a mfx in 4cm. Does such an amp setup exist? If not, why not?

By the way, my main concern and purpose for this would be in a live situation. Its a semi-minimalists dream!

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Diezel VHX?

Lots of low end budget amps come with effects built in.

Problem is most people are pretty specific on the effects they like. I wouldn’t be surprised if half the people who like a 5150 with a boost use their own external boost with the invective.

FrznTek

Reaction score
Hughes & Kettner GrandMeister
Hughes & Kettner Black Spirit 200
Bogner ALCHEMIST (maybe, not too much of a metal amp from some of the reviews I have seen)
Line 6 Spider valve mk2
^ just a few amps that are decent to Good/great with built in FX.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
If you want absolutely everything in one box, have you considered an Axe FX? A VHX will probably have the best effects of any amp with effects, but it doesn't have a gate or a boost.

Obviously the reason this amp doesn't exist is because the only way to do it is to have it all digital, and then you're relying on the company to make good effects. Not everyone is Eventide. And at that point you'd be adding a lot of cost to the amp for not a lot of gain. Lots of people already have great pedals and rack hits that probably do it better than the amp does, so why would they buy an amp with those features?

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
On paper to me the Peavey Invective sounds like an amazing setup. Its got a built in boost/gate, midi switching, etc...

Something that would make this great amp concept even better, would be of it had built in modulation effects.

What I don't want is to have anything in the 4cm with cables everywhere. What else I dont want are pedals everywhere.

What I do want is to have one footswitch pedal, like the invective has....but be able to go from a gated/boosted lead channel, to a clean channel WITH chorus and delay with one press of a button, WITHOUT 4 cables everywhere. So either the pedal would have to act as a Mfx unit, or the amp would have to have the effects built in. The effects wouldnt have to be the absolute best quality, just good.

Otherwise the way the invective is now I would be halfway there, as I would still have to run external pedals. I know it has the 9v supply on the back, but I still would need pedals.

Ideally I would run one cable to the footswitch, and a second cable to the amp, and have everything I want in between without using a mfx in 4cm. Does such an amp setup exist? If not, why not?

By the way, my main concern and purpose for this would be in a live situation. Its a semi-minimalists dream!
It's not all in one but a Rocktron Replifex has good effects and you could have it in a rack by the head and have 1 cable to the midi foot controller. The Replifex has internal mixer and when used right is great on keeping original tone intact due to it's unique signal path remaining analog. Like having a parallel mixer built right in.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score

It's not all in one but a Rocktron Replifex has good effects and you could have it in a rack by the head and have 1 cable to the midi foot controller. The Replifex has internal mixer and when used right is great on keeping original tone intact due to it's unique signal path remaining analog. Like having a parallel mixer built right in.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
How many different pedals are you going to be using?

I have my Boss chorus and delay in one loop of my Invective for cleans and an eq pedal and Decimator in the other for the gain channels and it's all programmed with the footswitch. One click to switch between up to 9 presets of any combination of channel/loop/boosts/gate.

I want a midi capable unit like the DD &MD500 units or a HX Effects but I'm just not sure if that will require 4cm or not. I'd rather just hook the pedals 1/4" cables up through the fx loop and use the midi out/thru without going 4cm.

Having just the Invective footswitch on the floor(and my tuner pedal) and whatever fx units/pedals on the top of the amp was what I wanted and it's working great that way so far. I don't feel I need any external OD pedals for the gain channels to be tight enough especially with the eq in the loop.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Why do you think you need to use 4CM? If you're only using the amp's distortion and boost, what effects do you need before the amp?

A-Branger

Reaction score
any amp that comes with loads of FX has to be something like BOSS katana, if not something "entry level" as they trying to market to people with less money as "buy this one be all amp", people with more serious budget are more serious about their tone and are not gonna like the amp built-in FX just because "theya re built-in FXs"..... having two dedicated loops with the ability to turn them on/off with the pedal controler is as best/perfect settup you would ever get

or jsut get a Line6 HelixFX or the Axe FX8, use 4cm and tape all the cables togheter in a tidy fassion (or buy a snake cable for it). And presto, one step does it all, as both units can change your amp channels

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Most people dont use modulation effects.

Shask

Reaction score
I would say most people just get an Axe-FX or Helix or similar at that point.

JesperX

Reaction score
It would cost a shit ton more and most people would find the FX not entirely satisfactory and then start using pedals anyway. You can’t please everyone with the same set of FX in most cases, so you’re better off hitting a lower price point and accepting the more modular approach of pedals.

They would sell less of them, guaranteed. Price point is very important.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i dont know how to respond to multiple quotes from different people in one response so im just going to go down the line.

Diezel VHX? yeah I cant afford that! lol. sorry i should have said what my realistic price point would be which is def less than $2000

The H&K grandmeister looks sick! I wonder if it will have the same chainsaw face melting tone at least close to a 5150 though. they look so beautiful too, really good looking amps. they seem to check of all my ticks that I have so thanks for the suggestion. the prices are good on those too. I just wonder why its only 40w?? And then why is the black spirit 200w? theyre both fucking gorgeous though!

Bogner Alchemist - hmm it seems very good for hard rock but not quite there for metal of my kind, judging from the videos ive listened to....either that or not one of those people knew how to dial in a brutal tone!

Line 6 Spider Valve mk2....nah until I see one and hear one in person I wouldn't trust it. I think Glenn Fricker is to blame for the bad reputation that puts me off to them.

Doesnt an axe-fx require a power amp though? That would just be one more thing Id have to lug around and worry about cables and such. I want to reduce the amount of cables needed. I have looked into the Kempers as well so thats always an option. The thing is I dont need a thousand amp models and effects, I want to find my one, maybe 2 high gain tones, and then a clean with some basic effects.

That being said I dont need a great clean or even great effects.....currently my clean+chorus delay is a stock preset on my Boss GT-100 and its fine enough for me but probably deemed shitty amongst most other people. The clean parts in my songs are short lived so they dont need to be great.

Redstuff 1987 - interesting I have never even heard of that before I will have to look more into it.

Right now I need to use 4cm because of my gt100 for clean chorus and use my amps tube gain. Maybe I should just tape them altogether IDK, but thats more variables that could go wrong when a cable shits out mid-show.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
For $2000 you would definitely be able to just get the Invective and then a multi FX like an M9/M13, HXFX, or Strymon Mobius if you're mostly just worried about modulation. A couple of extra cables/power solutions wouldn't be the end of the world IMO, especially if the amp and multi fx are all midi capable and the amp covers the boost/gate.

Otherwise, you could look at a powered Kemper or Helix/Axe FX II paired with a power amp. The options are pretty endless with that kind of budget :2c:

FrznTek

Reaction score
i dont know how to respond to multiple quotes from different people in one response so im just going to go down the line.
click the "+ Quote" at the bottom of the post on all the ones you want, then go to the bottom like your going to reply to the post and click "more options", there will be a button that say "insert quotes".

The H&K grandmeister looks sick! I wonder if it will have the same chainsaw face melting tone at least close to a 5150 though. they look so beautiful too, really good looking amps. they seem to check of all my ticks that I have so thanks for the suggestion. the prices are good on those too. I just wonder why its only 40w?? And then why is the black spirit 200w? theyre both fucking gorgeous though!
I have a tubemeister 36 (previous gen without the built in FX) and it has plenty of gain. IMO 40w tube head is more than enough wattage these days. the heads also have a built in power attenuator so you can play at bedroom levels with out an issue. also has a decent DI built in.
The black spirit is there new secret sauce solid state with a tube feel amp. so 200w solid state which is enough but about the same in terms of volume from what I understand. (I've heard good things about the amp, but haven't tried it my self.)

Line 6 Spider Valve mk2....nah until I see one and hear one in person I wouldn't trust it. I think Glenn Fricker is to blame for the bad reputation that puts me off to them.
The valve is a much better amp, it was designed with Bogner's help.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

Diezel VHX? yeah I cant afford that! lol. sorry i should have said what my realistic price point would be which is def less than $2000

Bogner Alchemist - hmm it seems very good for hard rock but not quite there for metal of my kind, judging from the videos ive listened to....either that or not one of those people knew how to dial in a brutal tone!

Doesnt an axe-fx require a power amp though? That would just be one more thing Id have to lug around and worry about cables and such. I want to reduce the amount of cables needed. I have looked into the Kempers as well so thats always an option. The thing is I dont need a thousand amp models and effects, I want to find my one, maybe 2 high gain tones, and then a clean with some basic effects.

That being said I dont need a great clean or even great effects.....currently my clean+chorus delay is a stock preset on my Boss GT-100 and its fine enough for me but probably deemed shitty amongst most other people. The clean parts in my songs are short lived so they dont need to be great.

Redstuff 1987 - interesting I have never even heard of that before I will have to look more into it.

Right now I need to use 4cm because of my gt100 for clean chorus and use my amps tube gain. Maybe I should just tape them altogether IDK, but thats more variables that could go wrong when a cable shits out mid-show.
VHX price is the answer to your question. You can have it all for lots of money.

Axe FX: get a rack case, put the Axe and power amp in the rack case, connect them and never worry about it again.

Redstuff make excellent amps and pedals and you should get the 1987 FAT.

You can use a multifx without having to use 4CM, because the stuff you want should be in the FX loop anyway, so with for example the Invective, you can have your amp with the effects unit on top in the loop, a midi cable between them and a midi cable out to your controller.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
VHX price is the answer to your question. You can have it all for lots of money.

Axe FX: get a rack case, put the Axe and power amp in the rack case, connect them and never worry about it again.

Redstuff make excellent amps and pedals and you should get the 1987 FAT.

You can use a multifx without having to use 4CM, because the stuff you want should be in the FX loop anyway, so with for example the Invective, you can have your amp with the effects unit on top in the loop, a midi cable between them and a midi cable out to your controller.
On the invective part, that makes so much sense, it wasn't clicking with me when you guys suggested that the first time. But yeah thats definitley easier.

The axefx/rack idea sounds good too. Idk why i never thought of a rack...its guess its because i have never used one.