Why don’t we see much about Multiband distortion for ERGs?

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I thought this was the reason why, though.
Most guitarists don't want to distort the lower frequencies hence a multiband distortion isn't something many companies make, I would think.

By the way, I hate hate hate hate how so many amps/pedals/etc try to cut the lows or do things so the lower frequencies don't distort as much. Distorting the low sounds for a smeary/muddy/boomy/saggy sound is all I want lol
That’s exactly right - most guitarists don’t want to distort the lower frequencies. Multiband distortion allows you to select how much distortion occurs at each “band.” So you could keep the lows completely clean, and only distort the mods/highs, and that keeps the tone tight. That’s what a lot of bass players do.

If you wanted to fuzz out the low end, like you were saying, you could add more distortion on the lows than highs or mids.

The signal splitting is a good idea, and that’s actually how dug pinnick used to run his bass. He split it, and sent the highs to a guitar amp with distortion, and the lows to a bass amp kept clean.

It’s very possible I’ll just have to file this under the “stuff Hollowway thinks is cool, but everyone else doesn’t,” along with 8 string Floyds and reverse slant pickups.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

col

blah.
Reaction score
I thought about this the other day. A distortion that had a 6 band eq except it wasn't an eq but the faders controlled the distortion mix for each frequency band would be cool.
Doesn't the Sansamp PSA-1 eq work like this? And I think the Recto eq does this as well iirc. (Don't quote me on that)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Ya boy pete thorn has a video on the pinnick bi-amp thing. This has been discussed.

Guitarists are more worried about which boutique pickup into bespoke guitar into hand built amp into $400 cab to worry about it though.

Let the bassist make your tones incredible, if you are in a band. If you are playing alone, rabbit hole the shit out of this and come out with a better tone and better understanding :yesway:.

Definitely not a new or novel concept and theres resources on it. Same as clean blend in drive pedals.

Latest posts

')