Why get a UV?

• Thread starter ZeroSignal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, what's the difference between, say, a UV777P and an RG1527? I'm talking feel, playability and construction quality.

I'm considering getting one but I want to know what my €2000 would be going towards.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mEtAlORc

Reaction score
Steve Vai's name.

Under his name you get, his pyramid inlays, the pyramid triangle design at the bottom of the body.

For body, you get a white binding around the body.

You also get DiMarzio Blaze II's.

Dnasurfer

Reaction score
your buying a pretty much a piece of art with all the trimmings: plus a vai guitar...only a few will ever own

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
your buying a pretty much a piece of art with all the trimmings: plus a vai guitar...only a few will ever own

Except the shitload of Vais owned by people on this board.

Reaction score
you pay for aesthetics, such a abalone binding, the pickgaurd, pickups, inlays, the signature neck etc.

Eric

Reaction score
You pay for awesomeness...

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
You're not just paying for aesthetics.

The neck profile is different, the quality of the basswood is better, and like 7strings said, it comes with a high level radiation of awesomeness. Plus, they have much better quality control then other production models.

Then you're paying for the name.

And also, aesthetics do count. You're getting a pickguard, stock DiMarzios, a single coil (which most other Ibanez 7s don't have), sweet as fucking hell inlay and body inlay and binding and shit like that. It has a much bigger awe factor as well.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score

The neck profile is different, the quality of the basswood is better, and like 7strings said, it comes with a high level radiation of awesomeness. Plus, they have much better quality control then other production models.

And also, aesthetics do count. You're getting a pickguard, stock DiMarzios, a single coil (which most other Ibanez 7s don't have), sweet as fucking hell inlay and body inlay and binding and shit like that. It has a much bigger awe factor as well.

:agreed:

Well, i think it closes the case. :D

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score

:agreed:

I played a 1527 and I liked it but I like the UV better. I miss my '98 777BK too. The older UVs are keeping me happy though. I like the older ones better. :yesway:

Shaman

Reaction score
The RG1527 is built in the same shop as the UV, and the Prestige Ibanez guitars, so I doubt that the quality control is different from guitar to guitar.

Is there any proof of the UV's being made of better wood than the Prestige's?

They are both great guitars though!

plyta

Rusty spoon...
Reaction score
go for an old school Universe,

:eek: I think for 2000 EUR you can be lucky enough to find a nice MC, PWH, GR or at least 7bk "green dots-green puickups" one. :drool:

:nono: I would definetly spare some time for looking a used Universe with finance size like that.

Or get a K7 or APEX - those at least have :bowdown: mahogany bodies.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
The old ones are better, but the same goes for any Japanese Ibanez from the early 90's vs. today. One good aspect of a UV that age is that they often haven't been played as much as the same era of 6's. The LoPro Edge trem is superior to the Edge Pro too.

Neck profile varies considerably between different examples of the same model of guitar, I don't feel it's fair to make generalisations here. For example, I've played 2 RG7620s with as good as identical necks to the same year of UV (same owner), but radically different to other UV and RG7 necks.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in getting a new UV777P. How different is the neck on a UV?

And I'm one of those "no signatures" players so I'm a bit wary of buying a Vai signature just for his name a shiny bits of plastic.

there's an '03 model in a shop in dublin city but they won't let me play it because the neck is worn out of something! :lol:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
You'll make a good choice with either one actually.

Just in case if you want to go for the older ones, i'll post these to help you make a decision.

Picture209.jpg

Picture208.jpg

:D

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, you could always refinish. :idea:

Seriously though, the neck profile on the older UVs are much better IMO. :agreed:

')