Why guitars cost what they do...

• Thread starter darren
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Orandje

Reaction score
Just to get that right, luthiers actually get tons of mail in the inbox of kids wanting a full-custom for way under 2000$ ?
If I would be the owner of an independend small business and luthier I would totally turn into a grumpy cat! lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Just to get that right, luthiers actually get tons of mail in the inbox of kids wanting a full-custom for way under 2000$ ?
If I would be the owner of an independend small business and luthier I would totally turn into a grumpy cat! lol
Every craftsman suffers for this. In cabinetry there's the age-old "why would a table cost 2 grand while I can get one from IKEA for €150?" or "I made one from pine myself for €50 so I don't see why you have to charge so much"...

Either don't respond or ask them to tell their dentist that "I ain't paying you 60 an hour, I'll do it at home with a Dremel and some pliers"

AwDeOh

Reaction score
Every craftsman suffers for this. In cabinetry there's the age-old "why would a table cost 2 grand while I can get one from IKEA for €150?" or "I made one from pine myself for €50 so I don't see why you have to charge so much"...

There are guitars, and guitars.

ChristopherG

Reaction score
Legend has it that Pablo Picasso was sketching in the park when a bold woman approached him.

“It’s you — Picasso, the great artist! Oh, you must sketch my portrait! I insist.”

So Picasso agreed to sketch her. After studying her for a moment, he used a single pencil stroke to create her portrait. He handed the women his work of art.

“It’s perfect!” she gushed. “You managed to capture my essence with one stroke, in one moment. Thank you! How much do I owe you?”

“Five thousand dollars,” the artist replied.

“B-b-but, what?” the woman sputtered. “How could you want so much money for this picture? It only took you a second to draw it!”

To which Picasso responded, “Madame, it took me my entire life.”

P-Ride

Reaction score
It's a shame that assembling a guitar yourself (buying parts individually, whether painting body yourself or not) invariably costs more than buying one off-the-shelf.

I'd love to put one together myself, but can't justify doing that, when I could buy a Gibson or Fender for the same price.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
It's a shame that assembling a guitar yourself (buying parts individually, whether painting body yourself or not) invariably costs more than buying one off-the-shelf.

I'd love to put one together myself, but can't justify doing that, when I could buy a Gibson or Fender for the same price.

There are plenty of kit guitars that are far below the USA Made Fender/Gibson price bracket :yesway:

')