Why has Periphery had more commercial success than Monuments/Tesseract/Etc?

• Thread starter Taylord
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Since I love being a reductive asshole, Periphery is more successful commercially because more people like them than those other bands.

When I auditionee for music school, my playing was not fantastic. I got piss poor audition scores, though, which I thought were much worse than I deserved. Some of the other people auditioning flubbed pretty bad, but simply weren't as boring as me, and got much better scores. Because music is a popularity contest, essentially.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Because music is a popularity contest, essentially.
I've been playing outside genres of metal for ~ 20 years now and I still have to explain this bandmates annually. We play music with a generally small fan base (comparatively) and then we shrink that number for 1/2-2/3 because we don't adhere to any strict rules inside the general genre, and these guys are like "How come so and so's crappy generic metalcore band with clean singing and only harmonic-minor-open-string-pedal-tone-riffs always gets asked to open for big touring bands in town?". This shit ain't a meritocracy.

guitaardvark

Reaction score
I think EVs are very cool, but we are still in the early days, the infrastructure isn't quite there yet, and the limitations of the batteries (weight, capacity, charge time) still are holding the full potential of them back. Also there seems to be some discussion around the mining of materials for the batteries as well as the disposal, to where I don't know if currently it's a net benefit. However I can see that getting addressed over time as well. It's definitely the last days of the ICE, and as such I plan on enjoying those (especially the atmospheric ones) while I still can.

EVs will likely be the way forward, there are alternate fuels being explored, but EVs seem to be firmly in the lead as it stands, and they make for some very quick cars. Unfortunately, they aren't generally exciting cars to drive aside from the insane acceleration party trick which a lot of them share. Even with the low center of gravity, they tend to be very heavy, and that always compromises the sportiness and handling in the corners. Porsche has had a good attempt at them with the Taycan (which I have yet to drive) but it seems like the praise is always in the relative box of being an EV.

Anyways those are my thoughts on the matter. Do you guys agree/disagree?
I agree with you on a few points. Again, I'm also looking at it from a primarily pragmatic/ecological perspective before I consider how fun they are to drive. I will say that my first gen Nissan Leaf isn't exactly a hoot to drive, though I do enjoy my girlfriend's Model 3 and my parents' Model Y quite a bit (it definitely doesn't feel as disconnected from the road as a Prius or a Leaf, in my opinion, but I'm also not taking them to Laguna Seca). I seriously can't think of a better daily driver than a Model 3, since it balances performance, practicality, value, and sustainability.

As far as the ecological costs of production, Engineering Explained has a fantastic video that explains how the higher upfront emissions are offset over the lifetime of the vehicle. There's also an emerging market for clean lithium battery recycling, and I have faith that it'll grow substantially in the coming years.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
I’m glad that the ecological costs of production have now shifted in the favour of EVs because for many years the production costs weren’t offset relative to an IC car, over the predicted lifetime of the vehicle. There was one article (pre YouTube) that basically showed how an old jeep was actually more ecologically friendly simply because folks loved the, and keep them running for years and years which despite shitty gas mileage means the production costs are much easier to offset because the things are kept alive by their fans for so long.

bulb

Reaction score
I agree with you on a few points. Again, I'm also looking at it from a primarily pragmatic/ecological perspective before I consider how fun they are to drive. I will say that my first gen Nissan Leaf isn't exactly a hoot to drive, though I do enjoy my girlfriend's Model 3 and my parents' Model Y quite a bit (it definitely doesn't feel as disconnected from the road as a Prius or a Leaf, in my opinion, but I'm also not taking them to Laguna Seca). I seriously can't think of a better daily driver than a Model 3, since it balances performance, practicality, value, and sustainability.

As far as the ecological costs of production, Engineering Explained has a fantastic video that explains how the higher upfront emissions are offset over the lifetime of the vehicle. There's also an emerging market for clean lithium battery recycling, and I have faith that it'll grow substantially in the coming years.
I agree the Model 3 is a fantastic daily for most people, my brother has one and loves it. For me, living in an apt, it doesn't work so well as I can't easily charge it, and the chargers still take a while to use. So it's more of an infrastructure problem right now. If I had a house and could just leave it charging at home, I'd likely have a Taycan as a daily.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
So it's more of an infrastructure problem right now.
This. For myself, I live in northern Canada. There's precisely one Tesla in the Yukon, and buddy admits that he basically bought it on a lark. As much as I like EVs, it'll be a long time before the infrastructure exists here for them to be viable. You need something here that can drive long distances on one tank of gas, and EVs just don't have the range yet.

And yeah, the charging speed thing is also an issue. If I want to leave the territory, I'm looking at driving for at least a day and a half. With a gas vehicle, I can just stop in any one-horse town and fill it up. With an EV, I'd be sitting around forever waiting for it to charge, and I'd be doing so in shorter distance intervals because there's no EV yet made that can go as far as my old gas engine car can on one tank. Hopefully Toyota's new solid state battery tech changes things in that regard.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Can't we all just discuss Yngwie's string heighth again?
Yngwie wears leather pants and has ultra Jumbo scalopped frets, he can have all the string height he wants.

Is periphery the hydrogen engine of metal?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Why hasn't the Honda E had more commercial success when it's cuter than Priuses and Teslas (and Monuments and Tesseract)?

honda-e-2020-uk_200725_1.jpg

bulb

Reaction score
Why hasn't the Honda E had more commercial success when it's cuter than Priuses and Teslas (and Monuments and Tesseract)?

honda-e-2020-uk_200725_1.jpg

I don’t think it’s available in the US for one? And apparently, as good as it looks, it’s not quite as competitive a car as others in its class and price range. But don’t get me wrong, I want one off of looks alone.

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s available in the US for one? And apparently, as good as it looks, it’s not quite as competitive a car as others in its class and price range. But don’t get me wrong, I want one off of looks alone.

I keep checking in to see if the children are still bickering and all I see is boring car stuff

didn't you make the car thread in off topic? Some of us are trying to watch people argue about your band here! :lol:

nightlight

Reaction score
I think another way to look at Periphefy's success is first-mover advantage. They were pretty much the first band I heard of playing "djent", and it helped that their style wasn't derivative of Meshuggah.

In that regard, we see that with most bands throughout history, the innovators usually fared far better than "the clones" that inevitably followed. Not saying Tesseract, Monuments, etc are clones of Periphefy, since Meshuggah are the real pioneers of djent IMHO. But Periphery did their own thing and they did it firsr, which is why they are better recognised than other bands playing in that style.

It's also a more accessible style for many people, since it has more melodic and maybe even pop-ish elements, whereas Meshuggah is as aggressive as death metal in terms of the vocal style and riffage.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

Ah, didn't realize it was JP only. To be honest, not seeing many of them around here either (all Toyotas or Porches), but it's the first 4-door practical car I've been able to get excited about in a while (off of looks alone).

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Ah, didn't realize it was JP only. To be honest, not seeing many of them around here either (all Toyotas or Porches), but it's the first 4-door practical car I've been able to get excited about in a while (off of looks alone).
It's in the UK now too, but all Hondas are relatively expensive here.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
A honda that looks like a '99 vw golf. Interesting.

bulb

Reaction score
I keep checking in to see if the children are still bickering and all I see is boring car stuff

didn't you make the car thread in off topic? Some of us are trying to watch people argue about your band here! :lol:

sorry I just like cars a lot

')