Why I haven't bought an Axe FX & how it can improve

• Thread starter jarrhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrhead

Reaction score
I'm hoping maybe the guys from Fractal Audio read this as well. This will be set in three sections: Why I want one, why I haven't put down the money yet, and how they can improve/guarantee a sale to me.

Reasons I want an Axe FX:
•USB/Firewire Output
•Recording capabilities
•ENGL Powerball Model
•Various Guitar Cabs
•Various Cab Mics
•Portable
•Sounds realistic and would be my ONLY piece of gigging sound equipment

Reasons I have not put down the money yet:
•I am mainly a bass player, and it has almost nothing for bass
•Two amp models
•Three cab Models
•Not very many bass-oriented microphones
•Unable to model pre-amp to sound board w/PA modeling*

What Axe FX should add
•Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II or 1001RB-II or 2001RB Head models
•2001RBP PreAmp model
•Direct sound-board input model (as if plugging bass Direct Out from amps)
•PA System modeling for said sound-board modeling
•Hartke HyDrive 4x10, not their annoying Aluminum-Cone standard cabs
•GK Neo 2x12 and 4x10 cab models
•Models of one or just a few soundboards/mixers you can move around.
•Seriously, why no XLR inputs for mics or direct out from amps you haven't modeled?
•Maybe some DAW software so it can be used as an interface and not just a pre/processor plugged into an interface?*

I see Fractal Audio is plenty capable of releasing new models, as they just did, so I think one bass amp and one or two bass cabs wouldn't be too much to ask at all for my $2000. They completed skipped the entire category, it's as if they only considered vintage bassists. There is no modern stuff for bass. I hate the SVT, I have the SWR 115, I hate the SVT cab, and the Hartke 410 sounds like crap to my ears. Why nothing Modern like a GK rig? It's very unique from any other company out there.
The last two items and bold are not necessary but would seriously make the Axe worth a lot more in my eyes, and I'm sure they'd get plenty more sales if they did those.

*May be wrong on a section of statement.
Will guarantee my sale if things in bold are added. Let me even further add that I will sell my current bass equipment just so I can buy more equipment. Maybe some Atomic equipment, hmm?

Collection of Community Thoughts:

PLEASE add:
•Modern Bass Amp & Cabinet Models
•Bass-oriented Microphone Models
•Knobs > Buttons
•Dry Input signal
•Output Volume Patch

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
I should share my reasons as well.

Reasons I want an Axe FX:
-Recording capabilities
-Lots of sound possibilites
-Hook to the pa and not sound like shit

Reasons I have not put down the money yet:
-Not really portable enough
(ex. If I setup a rack with the axe and poweramp..etc, and wanted to just take the axe home to record, it wouldn't be the easiest to haul and reconnect it.)
-Would prefer a software version
-More knobs is much better than buttons
-Say what you about justifying the price for one, but I probably wouldn't take advantage of its full capabilities.

jarrhead

Reaction score
YES!

Axe FX should also add:
•Knobs where the lights are under the display. Much like a Boss GT-10. This gives more if an amp-feel and is more user-friendly and fun if you can change the drive, high, mids, treble, presence, etc with a knob instead of a buttom. Maybe they can even be detachable so people can put knobs from their amp of choice on and get even more of a real feel out of it? I know i'd buy a set of knobs used on the GK and put em on there.

jarrhead

Reaction score
As for the software version, that's a dead point. Fractal I don't think has the capabilities of serious piracy-protection with as small a company as they are. Even then, there are ways around it. The software would have to be $2000 and even then people would pirate it and Fractal would make a lot less money. If you have an axe software pirated, why spend $2000 on one when you can just record it at home, since you need an interface anyhow, or take a laptop to your gig?

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
i don't want it, cause it will either be outdated by fractal coming out with some newer better version in 2 years tops or another small company will blow it out of the water, really these types of things seem to ploop up all the time and never ever is it the end all, never

so whatever, i'll just stick to my old ass tube technology, *(note, i'm totally aware that that changes frequently, and hence why i buy a new amp(s) every so often etc etc but really the concept hasn't changed all that much in 50 years)

personally i don't really dig most of the amp models save a few, and 2000 is cheap for the unit i think for all that it does supposedly, and well apparently, but shit i just don't need all of that, i don't use effects that much and i know i'd find about 2 amps on there that would keep me busy and the rest of the 10000000 presets would go to waste

idk man i just don't think it's me, at all, that's the bottom line, i really hate digital effects processor interfaces and the like, and they are all so different to the point of giving me the feeling that it's like the movie interfaces for computers, or something idk who cares what i say anymore

peace

i dont' want the axe fx, it's wizardry not guitar

Gameboypdc

Reaction score
Well after months of dreaming about the Axe FX Ultra and now owning one I can definitely say that they need to

1. Fix the Axe-Edit Beta *remove the bugs and make it more user friendly*

2. Make it easier to load presets.

3. Give Ultra users more preset space so we don't have to overwrite any factory presets.

4. Allow the user to record a dry signal and apply user or factory presets to the dry signal like Pod Farm.

5. Add more Bass amps, bass oriented mic's and bass cabinets. * + presets respectively*

6. Design the unit so that the output control knob on the front doesn't have to be set super low just to prevent audio clipping in your DAW when using audio out from the Axe.

^ This is not a issue if you use SPDIF, but to use SPDIF with the Axe your sample rate has to be set to 48 KHz and as the master device. So for those of us who work primarily with a 44.1 KHz sample rate, make it so we don't have to switch our sample rate in our DAW's to utilize the SPDIF capability of the Axe Fx. Not to mention that we also have to make sure that our audio interface or interfaces are synced after changing the sample rate just before loading our DAW of choice. This is probably my biggest issue with the Axe because each day before I can even listen to a lick of audio from Itunes or anywhere for that matter. I have to make sure that either my Axe FX is switched on or that my audio interface clock source is not set to SPDIF.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Needs a new hardware revision

FOR THE LOVE OF PETE WHERE IS THE USB PORT!!!

+1.

And for those that might chime in to say how crappy USB is, please check out the RME, Apogee and the higher-end Focusrite products that work amazingly.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the point about bass cabs is pretty moot since you can always add your own impulses. This also makes the mic argument moot too as the impulses can, and have been, created with a bunch of different mics.

I would also like more bass amp models however, just for diversity.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
ia gree on the Axe FX needing a USB port and more bass amps

as for the cab thing, you could easily make one or find a company who makes impulses, but yeah could be more, like GK and Mesa Engineering, far too little options for bass which is sad

hopefully all rectified in the future

SSK0909

Reaction score
For me, price and availability are the reasons I havent bought one.

I simply won't dish out so much cash on something i can't try first.

I know theres money back guarantee etc, but its a hassle most times and a lot of us would have to sell other gear to afford it.

Secondly. The price is really great compared to what you get.
But how many are actually using more than 2-4 amps and 1-8 fx?

I would love to see an Axe-lite with around 20 amp models and half the fx for a lower price since I dont need 20+ amps covering the same genre and more fx than a Lady Gaga album.

Heck... Make a completely blank axe module and make the sims and fx purchaseable online.
That way we can buy the stuff we need and it will probably also earn the company some more money. Might be against the creators business philosophy, but in the end business is business, you make a profit and evolve or fold.

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
Sorry guys, but there is a lot of comments in here that are quite off base.
Especially since most people in here haven't even tried one.

i don't want it, cause it will either be outdated by fractal coming out with some newer better version in 2 years tops or another small company will blow it out of the water, really these types of things seem to ploop up all the time and never ever is it the end all, never

so whatever, i'll just stick to my old ass tube technology, *(note, i'm totally aware that that changes frequently, and hence why i buy a new amp(s) every so often etc etc but really the concept hasn't changed all that much in 50 years)

personally i don't really dig most of the amp models save a few, and 2000 is cheap for the unit i think for all that it does supposedly, and well apparently, but shit i just don't need all of that, i don't use effects that much and i know i'd find about 2 amps on there that would keep me busy and the rest of the 10000000 presets would go to waste

idk man i just don't think it's me, at all, that's the bottom line, i really hate digital effects processor interfaces and the like, and they are all so different to the point of giving me the feeling that it's like the movie interfaces for computers, or something idk who cares what i say anymore

peace

i dont' want the axe fx, it's wizardry not guitar
'

Do you own one or have you owned one?
And I mean for more than a month?

If you know what you are doing then it is no more difficult to set up than a tube amp with some extra rack gear.

The Axe-FX is by far the largest advance in modelling technology and will be for quite some time. To say otherwise is naive.

You don't have to like it, which, not everybody will, but for people who actually HAVE use for it, then it is the best in the industry at the moment.

Well after months of dreaming about the Axe FX Ultra and now owning one I can definitely say that they need to

1. Fix the Axe-Edit Beta *remove the bugs and make it more user friendly*

It works 100% fine for me, and the three friends of mine that use it.
Did you match up the firmware to the software?
Either way, it's a BETA and will contain some bugs for some people.
I only speak from my experience.

2. Make it easier to load presets.

I speak for myself here, but Presets > load preset > select preset > open, doesn't seem all that difficult to me?

3. Give Ultra users more preset space so we don't have to overwrite any factory presets.

384 (256 on standard) blocks is all that the processor can handle.
I think that's more then enough space. You don't need to use ALL of the factory presets it has.

4. Allow the user to record a dry signal and apply user or factory presets to the dry signal like Pod Farm.

That WOULD be useful, but you can do the same by re-amping.

5. Add more Bass amps, bass oriented mic's and bass cabinets. * + presets respectively*

As much as I don't really like to say it, it is a GUITAR processor. Not a BASS processor. It would be nice to get a few more bass sims, but I wouldn't EXPECT it.
Besides, recording bass DI usually yields the best results regardless.

6. Design the unit so that the output control knob on the front doesn't have to be set super low just to prevent audio clipping in your DAW when using audio out from the Axe.

Are you using line in on your interface?

I used balanced myself, which is the best way to do it, and it's fine for me.

Needs a new hardware revision

FOR THE LOVE OF PETE WHERE IS THE USB PORT!!!

What's wrong with the hardware?

USB ports will not transfer the amount of data necessary in a quick enough time frame.

Simple Google find :

FireWire vs. USB 2.0 - Speed Comparison

+1.

And for those that might chime in to say how crappy USB is, please check out the RME, Apogee and the higher-end Focusrite products that work amazingly.

Preamps aren't the same as a digital processor.
Ever tried recording more than 2 tracks using USB?
It sucks. The latency is horrible.
Which is why in high end studios you do not see USB, you see Firewire, and in even higher end studios, ADAT or AES.
The Axe-FX has far more data to send out and USB connections can't handle the amount over an extended period of time.

Listen guys, I'm not trying to start fights, I'm just disputing some of the comments. A lot of the comments in here are good ideas, just not very likely, and most of them have been discussed on the Fractal Audio forums.

Gameboypdc

Reaction score
It works 100% fine for me, and the three friends of mine that use it.
Did you match up the firmware to the software?

Either way, it's a BETA and will contain some bugs for some people.
I only speak from my experience.

Yeah I matched it and it's synced.

I speak for myself here, but Presets > load preset > select preset > open, doesn't seem all that difficult to me?

My current issue is loading presets from the Fractal Audio Forums some of which load with ease and others just won't work at all. I'm aware some of these patches may have been made on a older firmware version or at least that was the possible reason for this issue.

384 (256 on standard) blocks is all that the processor can handle.
I think that's more then enough space. You don't need to use ALL of the factory presets it has.

Thats just it, I don't know what I do or don't need from the presets. I backed up the preset files so I can reload them if I need to, but at the same time I'm thinking most digital guitar fx processors have open space for presets and don't come from the factory completely full.

That WOULD be useful, but you can do the same by re-amping.

Yeah, but with re-amping I have to purchase more hardware just to do that. At this point I can just plug in to my ENGL e530 clean or plug in direct into my audio interface, record dry then change the amp sim on the fly.

As much as I don't really like to say it, it is a GUITAR processor. Not a BASS processor. It would be nice to get a few more bass sims, but I wouldn't EXPECT it.
Besides, recording bass DI usually yields the best results regardless.

I hear you on that point it is a "GUITAR" processor.

I would normally say that recording bass DI on average has the best results, but then again that still has never stopped me from recording bass guitar different ways. I figured if they added a few bass options to the AxeFX then why not more you know?

Are you using line in on your interface?

I used balanced myself, which is the best way to do it, and it's fine for me.

I'm currently running two XLR cables balanced into my audio interface.

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
Yeah I matched it and it's synced.

What's happening exactly?

My current issue is loading presets from the Fractal Audio Forums some of which load with ease and others just won't work at all. I'm aware some of these patches may have been made on a older firmware version or at least that was the possible reason for this issue.

That's your problem then.
Presets wont work if the Firmware does not match up.
That's not really the Axe-FX's fault.

Thats just it, I don't know what I do or don't need from the presets. I backed up the preset files so I can reload them if I need to, but at the same time I'm thinking most digital guitar fx processors have open space for presets and don't come from the factory completely full.

Simple enough then, go through them all.
I guarentee there are presets which you will have absolutely no use for.

Yeah, but with re-amping I have to purchase more hardware just to do that. At this point I can just plug in to my ENGL e530 clean or plug in direct into my audio interface, record dry then change the amp sim on the fly.

Correct, that's one feature that would be neat to have.
Unlikely, but neat.
Bear in mind though, the Axe-FX is designed with live use in mind.
Recording is second.

I hear you on that point it is a "GUITAR" processor.

I would normally say that recording bass DI on average has the best results, but then again that still has never stopped me from recording bass guitar different ways. I figured if they added a few bass options to the AxeFX then why not more you know?

And I again, agree, that it would be nice.
All I'm saying is that it's not something Cliff will focus on too much.

I'm currently running two XLR cables balanced into my audio interface.

Then there is something wrong with the interface.

I run a mono cable (left output balanced) into the front of my Firepod.
No issues whatsoever and I leave my output at noon.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
me personally i wouldn't cre for the USB part for interfacing or any of that jazz, just less likely to come to an issue like alot of people had with MIDI trying to do updates and using axe edit

Status
Not open for further replies.
')