Why I haven't bought an Axe FX & how it can improve

• Thread starter jarrhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I think a good feature on the next model would be a USB or Firewire Audio Interface so you can record directly into your DAW.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I'd still like to see someone guess which of those posted clips is the axe and which is the pod.

And, to add my 2 cents, I won't consider buying one either until they have some way besides midi to, at least, interface with a computer. Even if usb isn't ideal for recording, even that would be perfectly fine for updates and editing settings. In all honesty though, they should have firewire outputs.

jarrhead

Reaction score
I'd still like to see someone guess which of those posted clips is the axe and which is the pod.
I see nobody has taken my challenge. Maybe people already know which is POD or Axe because we all cock-ride Misha anyhow.

And because it's only two options, you have a 50% chance of guessing correctly. So, add WHY you know (or think) which is which.

And, to add my 2 cents, I won't consider buying one either until they have some way besides midi to, at least, interface with a computer. Even if usb isn't ideal for recording, even that would be perfectly fine for updates and editing settings. In all honesty though, they should have firewire outputs.

+1

Guitarwiz2k

Prog Metal /Jazz Fusion
Reaction score
I see nobody has taken my challenge. Maybe people already know which is POD or Axe because we all cock-ride Misha anyhow.

And because it's only two options, you have a 50% chance of guessing correctly. So, add WHY you know (or think) which is which.

+1

I just listened to the post, and could assume the first one is the Axe and the second is the pod. I don't konw, I guess it depends on how they were recorded.

AK DRAGON

Guitar Popcicle
Reaction score
Let's compare it to my cheap, $80 POD. It is just the POD and a USB cable, and I can record without another interface... :nuts:

Exactly my point! If I spend $2k on a top of the line amp simulator and I'm expected to shell out more for a computer interface. Come on guys analog died years ago! It should all be plug and play not buy a midi adapter as a go between.

My point was more in the lines of a computer interface I could care less if it was USB/FireWire/etc as long as I can use the Axe direct to the computer to record impulses for reamping or if nothing else make patch changes on the fly with Axe Edit.

Duke318

Reaction score
I owned the Axe-fx. Let me make one thing clear before I begin. I understand the power of the unit, and I've seen what people can do with it. Here's what I observed:

-The axe fx was released what, like 3 years ago? Computer hardware from 3 years ago is near-obsolete and dirt cheap now. The axe is basically a simple dual-core processor computer, it's not that powerful, and doesn't really need that much power. The components do not cost as much as they did 3 years ago, and I really don't think it should cost more than $1000.

-All of the amp models sound the same, or only slightly different, which renders most of them pointless. Most of the differences between models can be achieved by EQing or modifying another model.

-You spend WAY too much time tweaking, and not enough time playing. If I punch in a 5150 or recto amp, it does not immediately sound like a recto or 5150. It sounds overly-bright and like a really good POD X3. It takes tons of time and trial and error to dial in a similar sound as the real amp (this is assuming you're comparing them side-by-side). I've seen people dial in the axe to sound extremely similar to the real deal, but I cringe at the amount of time and energy it took to achieve that sound. The way it should work is that when you flip on the model, it already sounds exactly like the real deal, and then any minor tweaks you need to make to IMPROVE the original amp, can be done. You shouldn't have to 10-band EQ and low-pass high-pass filter it to death, pick random microphones and cabs, and then 1000 other tweaks to try and emulate the sound.

-Most things I've heard recorded with the axe have some kind of weird upper-presence and "overly polished" quality to it.

I know this post will probably generate a lot of controversy, but those are just my thoughts on it. The axe just couldn't beat my FJA modded JSX. Sure, it had a bunch of tweaking options and endless "possibilities", but do most people really need all that? I didn't. Believe me, I'm not some tube molesting, closed-minded, elitist prick. I really wanted to give up tubes. But the axe just wasn't there yet for me. Maybe it will be in a generation or two. (Axe fx model #3?)

noob_pwn

Reaction score
I own an axefx ultra and run it into a 2/90/2.
I could never go back to using anything else, in regards to the post above, alot of amp models to sound similar with this setup but thats because my poweramp & cab remain constant, running direct they sound & react differently.

-I would LOVE USB connection for my patch exchange/editing, but i can live with MIDI
-If i thought it sounded shit i wouldnt have toured with it for the past year
-There is no other solution for me in regards to finding my own sound, and being able to fly that anywhere in a suitcase. Sure tube amps are great but unless your band is massive you can't fly your 150kg rig around the place.
-there is no solution for the patches i run that will deliver a result with the same level of reliability & the same noise floor as the axe.

Sure its easy to criticize but most of these arguments against the axe seem like chicken shit compared to some of the advantages it gives me. FWIW i've converted a hell of a lot of die hard amp guys.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
lets be honest about modelers digital fx processors.
all they are is strripped down pcs with audio interfaces and the software on an eprom rather than a hard drive

lets not pretend we are getting some huge leap forward in technology

but consider this
the cost of a good pc a good firewire audio interface
and software to match the axe fx and as i understand the axe fx is unmatched by any software on the market at the moment but i guess that won't always be the case,
and we are probably well over the cost of an axe fx looking at it this way the axe fx is a bargain
but you do have more options with a pc(ie recording plus normal pc functionality and more importantly it is upgradable). but not the portability of the axe fx so its swings and roundabouts.

but i think its naive to think tha axe fx will be the best thing around for years. if you buy the best pc on the market it wont be the best for long and the axe fx is the same technology.
but they do sound good and theres nothing to say if you are happy with it now then you won't still be happy in 5 years time but it it won't be the best on the market anymore.

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
I don't think it's naive, the reason PC's become outdated so quick is because of the number of them being produced, and the number or people/companies putting in much time and effort into developing devices vital for millions.

The only major companies that are really putting time into the best modeling they can get are Line 6 and Axe FX. And it was pretty clear Line 6's POD HDs still didn't come close to Axe FX power, and Fractal are more focused on updates for the Axe FX, as well as other products, rather than a new model.

I say the Axe FX is still going to dominate the market (in terms of reputation and quality) for at least a few years. :2c:

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
to be honest you may be right but its market forces that stop the big companies from building modelers to match the axe fx. the real genius in the axe fx is spotting the market for it not developing it. and even if line 6 developed a comparable unit as i have no doubt that they could would you rather have a fractal or a line6?
it just isn't line6's market
to be honest i am fan of the digital stuff and if i didn't have to eat i'd seriously consider an axe fx and probably keep it for the rest of my guitar playing life.

i've seen many of these "grounbreaking best on the market" units come and go over the years and many of them are still great even by todays standards but can get for really cheap now

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
People still use POD technology today. And they've been around since about 2010. POD Xt's are still pretty commonly used.

They were never seen to be close to or better than the real thing anyway. The Axe FX gets that claim consistently.

Line 6 did try to claim the Axe market, with the POD HD, and they made more expensive units. Aside from the Vetta heads, Line 6 has never really broken into 'high quality' territory, if they could, they certainly would.

Fractal is hardly a huge name, unlike Line 6. If Line 6 were to develop an Axe killer, they could market it very well. But they haven't so until then, I say the Axe is pretty safe, and considering how close it comes to the amps it models, does it really matter if a better modeler comes along? There's hardly *that* much in terms of sound it can improve on. :shrug:

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
well line6 didn't say to their developers build a unit to be the best on the market. They said build a unit we can sell for £400.

fractal aren't performing some sort of magic that others can't reproduce. it really is just software

trust me there are faster processors, better audio interfaces and more complicated software is possible and the technology probably exists to make it all fit into 1u.
but it isn't cost effective to do it yet.

so i think line 6 could do it . could it be done for less than £1600? i'm not sure.

i'm still not convinced that peole woul pay £1600 for an uber pod over an axe fx but i've been wrong before:) why do guitarists pay £200 for boutique od pedals? would anyone pay 200 for a boss od? cos trust me the insides are not all that different

i don't wanna come across as an axe fx basher i really am impressed by it. but i think many people are turning into iphone style fanboys over this thing.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
People here seem to think it's like an Intel Core 2 Duo inside the Axe or something :lol: They aren't your run of the mill dual core processors, you can't go and slap these into your PC's.

Part of the reason it costs what it costs is that Cliff made this shit by himself. He's one dude, doing all of R&D, releasing updates, all by himself. Line 6 can go and buy a million little parts for a huge discount, and pay some kid in China to assemble it, and they have a team of folks working on their shit. They can afford to sell you your $300 Pod.

Cliff releases free updates, and they will always be free. There's no extra model packs, effects packs, etc. Bug fixes are free. Continued support is definitely worth something to me, on top of it just being a superior product :shrug:

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
to a certain extent a processor is a processor some have higher specs speeds etc . i suspect cliff had processors supplied by someone else the axe fx is not expensive enough to have a custom made processor. the functionallity is handled by the software witch is on an eprom therefore it is firmware. The software was probably developed and tested on a mac or pc(i know this cos i am an electronics engineer and have worked closely with software engineers on a few projects). there will be some sort of ram in there.
so it really isn't far from a pc. i suspect the real expense in the unit(aside from software development) is in the quality of the a/d converters amps ect. ie what a pc audio interphace does

but i agree its despicable the way line 6 charge for expansions. i'm not quibbeling the price of the axe fx its still cheaper than building something similar around a pc and more compact

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
I have a POD, and that's what I'll continue to use for recording until I can justify an Axe is good enough for that kind of cash. Regardless, it was rather the astonishment that I can record on an $80 unit without an interface, and a $2000 unit requires more.

If anybody who sees this posts knows the (I know this guy is totally cock-ridden) history of Periphery/Bulb and his axe/pod, then your opinion doesn't matter as you already know the answer.

MP3 Player SoundClick

MP3 Player SoundClick

Which is the axe; which is the pod? Clip 1 or clip 2?

clip 2?

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
^

It's interesting how many posts are like that (not just on these boards, and even in real life when people find out I have one).

I'll reiterate;

TL;DR

ITT: People who can't afford an Axe-FX trying to make themselves feel better about why they don't have one. :D:flame:

*The above is an example of what's commonly referred to as a joke*

Status
Not open for further replies.
')