Why is agile so mysterious?

• Thread starter guitaardvark
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Agile is great for what it is but Kurt hasn't put out anything that interesting in a few years

Also there's a woeful lack of spector/interceptor 6ers or an agile'd up version of the Douglas Hadron line.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
^Says you. Agile has been putting out some freaking cool 8 string acoustics lately!

Bisky

Reaction score
When you buy a big name brand guitar you are paying for a lot of marketing. One of the many things to like about Agile is you are not paying for marketing, and you are not paying for a middle man's markup.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
I thought all Agiles were made in Korea. I know things like the Douglas' are made in China, but Agiles are sort of Rondo's "top of the line." That is to say they cut the fewest corners possible and the results are pretty damn good guitars for the money. I've owned a few, and my main 7 is a semi-custom. I'm more than happy with it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There seems to be a few camps here:

-Those that put Agile on a pedistal, I mean they're cool guitars, I've owned several, but unless the specs are something really not offered by other brands (which is usually the case) the quality and features of the Agile range isn't out of this world. Quality is on par with MII Ibanez and Schecter and LTD (think 400 to 600 model range).

-Those that don't care for them, which you'll see a lot when someone was shipped a dud without understanding how the Rondo QC thing works, as mentioned above the player/buyer is the final QC check which lets them sell for so cheap.

Those, like me, for see them for what they are: solid, affordable, niche guitars with a lot of potential if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

I've said this numerous times in regards to Agile, but what you're really paying for is the spec sheet. The quality of build, fit, finish etc. is nothing special and is usually where you run into issues. The hardware is typically nothing to write home about either, especially since they've switch to mainly OEM components on a lot of models.

Also, for those who want some clarification, you're buying distributor direct, which means that after Rondo pays the factory for production, the buyer pays Rondo to basically ship out the guitar.

guitaardvark

Reaction score
I've only gotten to play one and it reminded me of a cheap epiphone I have, despite that a lot say they are worth more. To each their own I guess.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I thought all Agiles were made in Korea. I know things like the Douglas' are made in China, but Agiles are sort of Rondo's "top of the line."

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the sub-$400 stuff was MiC rather than MiK. Now that I think about it I'm not really sure why I'm under that impression, and I'm perfectly willing to concede if I am, but I reserve the right to be not surprised if it turns out I'm right :lol:.

Anyone got one of those $399 827s so hey can whip it out and check the manufacturer?

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the sub-$400 stuff was MiC rather than MiK. Now that I think about it I'm not really sure why I'm under that impression, and I'm perfectly willing to concede if I am, but I reserve the right to be not surprised if it turns out I'm right :lol:.

Anyone got one of those $399 827s so hey can whip it out and check the manufacturer?

My AL-2000 with a price tag of ~$220 is labelled made in south korea

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All Agile branded guitars are made in South Korea. All. From the AL2000 up to the the customs.

The lower Rondo brands, and accessories like cases, and Chinese made.

A point of confusion is that every guitar that ships in a case from Rondo will have a big "Made In China" printed on the box, but that box is just one for the case, not the instrument.

kurtzentmaier

Reaction score
All Agile branded guitars are made in South Korea. All. From the AL2000 up to the the customs.

The lower Rondo brands, and accessories like cases, and Chinese made.

A point of confusion is that every guitar that ships in a case from Rondo will have a big "Made In China" printed on the box, but that box is just one for the case, not the instrument.

Just chiming in here - yes above is correct. 100% of all Agile guitars are made in S. Korea and we have never build any in China and all guitars are marked as such (US Law btw). Most of the cases are made in China, so yes when receiving a guitar in a case, the outside box will say "made in China" and the guitar is marked "Made in Korea" - Each and every Agile guitar is checked and setup before shipping out. However we do see a higher rate of shipping damage and guitars that need adjustments when the guitar is ordered without the hard shell case that is suggested at at checkout... and yes I am sure a few slip out through QC with some problems missed, especially during the holiday rush. I dont' claim to be perfect there...(Having been a fender dealer for 20+ years I honest believe our QC is superior, especially on their imports.. but still we are working to improve our QC all the time..

Kurt

RustInPeace

Reaction score
I had a custom shop AL-3200 that was really nice. It did have a few minor finish flaws in the binding but nothing that affected playability. The only deal breaker was the weight, it seriously hurt my shoulder after 10 minutes.

That being said, I would totally order another one with the weight relief option :D

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have three Agiles and I've had no issues with them whatsoever, I will continue to buy and use them.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
My 2 Agiles (Tele and Interceptor Pro 727) are great. Love 'em to death. I have my eye on quite a few more as well.

hamster

Reaction score
A few years ago, I was really interested into buying a 7-strings Agile guitar, unfortunately i never had the opportunity to play one of these, but if my memory is good : Guitars like Agile Interceptor Pro series a made in Korea (Agile "high-end" models are Korean made), i am not sure but the manufacturer is probably Cortek (Cort) or something similar.
I have read a lot of reviews : The Agile guitars are globally well built, with sometimes a few finish or factory set-up issues. This brand seems really insteresting. I will probably buy one of their 8 strings models next year, and I will be able to give an opinion based on tangible elements.

Zado

Reaction score
Meanwhile in Europe...

:(

I-know-how-you-feel.jpg

troyguitar

Reaction score
I've said this numerous times in regards to Agile, but what you're really paying for is the spec sheet.

Yep, and IMO that's just fine.

My custom AL-7 is absolutely awesome because it meets the specs I wanted perfectly. It's not a higher quality instrument than my ARZ307, but it fits me better.

')