Why is it so hard to get a band together?

• Thread starter CrownofWorms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nonapod

Reaction score
You're trying to find between 2 and 5 other talented, driven, people who are most probably

- Interested in making music in the same (or damn close to the same) niche genre you're into
- Have relatively stable schedules that more or less align
- Aren't already ensconced in a band that they're very happy with or feel a very strong loyalty to.
- Are geographically within a reasonable driving distance
- Are ideally all within 10 years of your own age
- Aren't either egomaniacs or complete flakes (saddly both are common afflictions of highly talented musicians)

You can compromise a tad on some of those points, but generally that's the reality. When you consider all that, it's somewhat of a miracle that any new progressive metal bands appear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

linchpin

Specter
Reaction score
The only thing I can tell is get to know the members first before making any desperate recruits... I wouldn't want you realising in few years time that your singer is suddenly Axl Rose MKII... you may get stuck with these people in a van... choose wisely.

fassaction

Reaction score
As someone who has played in bands the majority of my adult life, I can give a little input...

You have to understand, a LOT of kids start playing high school around the 14-17 age range. You have to also be prepared that it takes a while to get good at playing guitar, and even when you DO get good, the chances that you can afford gigging quality gear are slim.

College years are a prime time to play in bands. The ages of 18-25 were some of the best times of my life, especially when it came to music. Kids might have saved up for some nicer gear, been playing a little longer and are better at their craft. During this age range you will be more willing to travel for gigs, gig frequently, and will likely have ambitions of touring or hopes of taking it further than your home town area.

After 25.....fuck. I have never given up on my music, but peoples priorities change after 25-ish. Im 32 and still play in bands, but its much more lax on my part. I never get involved with a project that practices more than once a week, and gigs more than once a month. If someone even mentions touring, I bow out.

Finding people is the biggest pain in the ass. Honestly, craigslist is always going to be your best bet. Go to local shows, find kids in your age range who want to play. Musicians Wanted - Search Local Musician Classifieds : BandMix.com is ok....but dont hold your breathe on finding someone on there, Ive had a bandmix account for over 5 years, and I have yet to come across anybody that was anything more than an amateur. Post an ad on the bulletin board in your home town music store....most stores have them. You would be surprised who might hit you up.

I must be bored....i just typed 3 paragraphs....

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I've had these same problems. I started playing in bands as soon as I picked up a guitar (around my 15th birthday) and I've had so many moments where I've been so close to giving up but I've had someone support me through pretty much all of it, telling me not to give up.

A little more than a year ago I wrote an albums worth of prog metal songs with a major concept around them, it was written for one guitar, a bass, drums, keyboard/piano, violin and at least three vocalists (two female and one male). When I finished I was like "F*ck! How am I going to find all the people I need for this?"

Today I have a band consisting of a violinist+backup vocalist, keyboardist who also plays electric piano, female lead vocalist, bassist who can actually play all the shit I wrote for the songs, a drummer and I play guitar and do the male vocals.

Considering all the shitty band experiences I had before this is a dream come true and I found some of these band members in the strangest places. My violinist works with me and when I first met her she didn't get the appeal of metal, then I showed her Unexpect and a couple of other influences of mine and she was hooked. The bassist actually started playing bass to get in the band, his progress is insane, he used to be in art class with my girlfriend and one day we met him in a supermarket and he was like "Hey do you have some tabs of your bands songs, I need something to practice". Shortly afterwards was in the band.

So I know this is a long post but I know what it feels like to be on the verge of giving up but even now when my band is in the first part of it's life (we've played a couple of gigs and have already practiced over half the album, recorded three very rough demo songs) the fact that it's working so far has gotten me so far moral wise.

TL-DR version:
Don't give up if music is your passion.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
Me and my buddy are trying to form something, but we can't find anyone. Everyone he knows is either flaky as hell or way too far away. Besides, being forced to write in certain genres is really fucking irritating.

So lately I've taken to playing with myself.

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
Me and my buddy are trying to form something, but we can't find anyone. Everyone he knows is either flaky as hell or way too far away. Besides, being forced to write in certain genres is really fucking irritating.

One big problem I used to have were people too obsessed with choosing and limiting themselves to a genre. The most hated one being "I dunno, I just wanna make something similar to In flames and Lamb of God"

So lately I've taken to playing with myself.

Lothar.jpg

"Lately I've taken many short walks by myself"

Reaction score
Try not acting like an elitist asshole - being in a band is about combining influences, not imposing them on people. If people want to do JFAC style stuff, get together and make something new.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
1. Musicians are flaky

2. Musicians each have their own style which seldom matches what anyone else wants.

3. Musicians are flaky.

4. It takes a lot for people to be dedicated to ANYTHING , let alone a band.

5. Musicians are flaky.

I didn't enjoy being in a band until I was in my 30's. Seems it takes that long for everyone to get to a place where they have time and resources to really do something. Also in my current band we all have REALLY different influences/styles. We're at a point now where we just mash all the influences together and what comes out is US. Is the music we're making 100% what I want ? Nope. But it's pretty damned close and my band mates are awesome. :)

I have always found, in that last paragraph you wrote, that that is the mark of a good band. No one is really playing exactly what they want, but you are all comfortable and capable enough to compromise and create something that arguably, is better at the end of the day.

The other side of the coin, aside from flaky musicians, is you get folks like me who are only home half the time. While I would gladly give that half the time to a band, very infrequently is a band looking for a guy who is in a place non-existant to maps half the time due to having a life and a career.

So you get flaky musicians, or us wonderful weekend warriors. Take your pick. The big secret is us weekened warriors probably have a lot more fun than full time musicians :lol:.

Bass players are either so passive in a band they might as well not even exist, ex-guitar players who were out-ego'd or are talented enough that they would rather be playing in some funk-jazz-fusion band.

That's why.

:lol:, damn, hit the nail on the head there.

Adding in playing ERGs even just 7 strings makes it even more difficult to find a second guitarist.

It does certainly add a level of difficulty when 7 string / ERG players think that because they have one everyone else in the band must also have one. It does indeed. :lol:

Enselmis

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just lucky but in Winnipeg it seems really easy to run into people with similar music tastes and enough commitment and facility to make a band. Hell, I'm in three and they all play totally different stuff. I'm having fun and that's what counts I guess.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
It does certainly add a level of difficulty when 7 string / ERG players think that because they have one everyone else in the band must also have one. It does indeed. :lol:

Yeah, this logic :lol: I'm currently writing a song for a 9 string in Eb standard and a 7 string in open C# :shrug:

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
1. Musicians are flaky

2. Musicians each have their own style which seldom matches what anyone else wants.

3. Musicians are flaky.

4. It takes a lot for people to be dedicated to ANYTHING , let alone a band.

5. Musicians are flaky.

I didn't enjoy being in a band until I was in my 30's. Seems it takes that long for everyone to get to a place where they have time and resources to really do something. Also in my current band we all have REALLY different influences/styles. We're at a point now where we just mash all the influences together and what comes out is US. Is the music we're making 100% what I want ? Nope. But it's pretty damned close and my band mates are awesome. :)

This.

People are total flakes. Even the ones im in a band with :lol: my bassist never comes to practice 'cause he dosnt know when it is'.....every thursday since....welll ever haha

My singer does ad he pleases too...

I guess just find people whos shit you can deal with

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
Man, I find some of this shit utterly unbelievable. Damn. Really destroys any idea I have of being in a band again one day - though that's not important to me anymore. It was fun, though.

My only experience in a band is with my teenage best friends group and one of their dads. So a very tight unit socially. I left for uni and they are still going strong and playing Bloodstock this year. The only problem is though, they can't hear/wont accept the skill level required to be a professional recording musician or work towards it. It's a shame as they write great songs and wont split up - they just can't play too well individually!

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I personally want to start by saying thank you to the likes of Misha, Nolly, Chimp Spanner, & all of those before them who kickstarted the DIY bedroom musician train a few years back.

Without the know-how, motivation and media that ignited the passion in this forum and worldwide to create their own music, I would be SO fucked. And I'm sure this is true among many others in faraway places with little to no music scene.

I live in a place where only 2 or 3 other people, hell, realistically probably only a dozen, actually know what they're talking about when it comes to progressive metal and fancy gear. It's quite painful trying to play with other people when they can't keep time, tune their guitars correctly, etc. or even feel the rhythm in a simple change. Hell, this is sludge city after all. High-speed legato and ripping arpeggios aren't everyone's strong point around here. :lol:

I guess what i'm trying to say is that without home recording equipment, my creativity would be zapped. I'm constantly arranging stuff on my computer and on my head in hopes that one day, i'll meet someone or a band that needs a guitarist, and in the rare occasion our musical brains ever line up i'll go, "Hey, I have a bunch of songs written..." and BOOM. Insta-material! One can only hope. :idea:

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
^ My thoughts exactly. Plus the fact that said guys and their music reinspired me and saved me entirely from a 4 year videogame addiction. Well actually 9 years, but only 4 of which I'd been playing guitar.

Alcoholocaust

Reaction score
Don't give up mate, be persistant. It's difficult to find 3-4 other members who are not only skilled at their instrument, but as passionate as (the same) music as yourself.
I've been playing in bands since i was 14 (i'm 28) and i've seen many come and go.
Kids get a license and want a fancy car and forget their drumkit....kids get into drugs and forget their guitar, hell some get girlfriends and forget about music all together.

You're young and have plenty of time! Go to shows, meet new people. Make demos at home and share them around. You'll get there eventually man it all takes time.
Keep at it!

Semichastny

Reaction score
I've found it hard because the musicians in my area are in very traditional and conservative punk or jazz bands.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Good chemistry is worth waiting for and not settling for less.
Keep writing, record constantly, your craft will improve and grow and you'll have more material to present to other prospective bandmates/collaborators.
When you sit down to jam/write with other musicians and it just clicks, it clicks, and you'll know.

I've been jamming with the same bass player for nearly 3 years, just got a drummer, and don't anticipate finding a 2nd guitarist for probably another year, but by the time we do, the core of the band will already be very well intact.

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
I personally want to start by saying thank you to the likes of Misha, Nolly, Chimp Spanner, & all of those before them who kickstarted the DIY bedroom musician train a few years back.

Without the know-how, motivation and media that ignited the passion in this forum and worldwide to create their own music, I would be SO fucked. And I'm sure this is true among many others in faraway places with little to no music scene.

I get what you're saying and you're right that those guys really energized bedroom recording. But for the record, myself and lot of other folks have been bedroom recording since like 1995 which is about as early as you could possibly bedroom record with a computer. That would probably put Misha and Nolly in Kindergarten about that time. :lol: Just sayin'. Not to mention people bedroom recording with analog 4-tracks before that, however the quality there was suspect at best. But I digress.

sleightest

Reaction score
Im 25 and ive been playing for 12 years. I have never been in a band. I have tried so hard to start projects but apparently nobody wants to play with me. Ive jammed a ton but nobody is serious. My plan now is to acquire a bass, program drums and do everything myself then recruit people who might be interested. If you want to do something right you gotta DIY.

Latest posts

')