Why is pickup technology so slow to evolve?

• Thread starter LexMentis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
I think something like that super switch that was posted earlier is a pretty worthwhile idea, I feel like the pickups that are already available from the big companies offer quite a bit already in terms of variety of tone and such. I'm always open to trying something new and seeking out new sounds but really I get most of what I'm looking for from whats already out there. But having a switch that allows you to easily get a larger number of combinations and tones out of the three pickups already in my guitar is something that I find to be more interesting and worth bothering with. I'm kind of surprised that people aren't more regularly interested or trying out that sort of thing.
As for the quick and easy connectivity thing, I think just reading through this thread exemplifies why it is how it is: some people want it, and some people say its a waste of time and prefer to just solder, and so it's still an extremely divided opinion on this topic with not enough incentive there to pursue making a big change. If there was a large enough number of serious requests for quick connectivity pickups being made more widely and regularly available then I think the companies would definitely pursue that more than they have. But right now I think the attitude is that most guitarists still tend to be more traditional and that there's not really enough serious interest in changing things to satisfy what is still a minor portion of the pickup buying public. Personally I DO think that if they offered pickups that were quicker and easier to install that it would result in more aftermarket pickup sales, but the amount of time, effort and money especially to advertise it enough to make it a widely known thing, just likely isn't perceived as being worth it right now. As Max mentioned, if there's money in it then someone will do it. And I think there definitely is money in this concept, but is it enough money to warrant making a change like that and will the profits and benefits of it outweigh all of the costs and work that'd go into making it happen? I'm not sure about that.
Most of these companies are interested in hearing what players want, so for those who want something like easy-connect pickups and feel strongly about it then I'd say let them know, send them e-mails and post on their social media. Doesn't guarantee that anything will happen but they won't change anything or create something new if they don't have an incling that people are really wanting it. I never really thought twice about having easy-connect pickups until I saw more people bringing it up like this, I've always just been like, "You want new pickups, you learn to solder or pay someone to do it."

And I don't think you'll ever see any kind of universal quick-connector modification made by these companies. It's always going to be done in some propietary way. It'd be a miracle to get them all to work together and agree on something like that, lol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I like using stuff like this:

Lever Style Connectors

Makes swapping pickups really simple, and it's cheap and compact. Most control cavities have enough room to fit this sort of thing.
Those are interesting as well...

@SubsonicDoom99 I first started to use those connectors for pickup swapping, but I faster changed that to switch swapping... now I'm all for crazy sounds out of 2 humbuckers... that's where my fun is at the moment...

Last edited:
')