Why isn't spam being removed?

• Thread starter electriceye
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

electriceye

Reaction score
A single account is slamming all the threads with spam. While the acount has been reported, all the posts are still up. Is anyone even monitoring this?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Some things take time I imagine. Pro tip: PM this to a mod rather than cluttering the forum w a thread like this. Isn't clutter what you're complaining about? :lol:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/lots-of-spam-posts-lately.324948/#post-4785708
Some things take time I imagine. Pro tip: PM this to a mod rather than cluttering the forum w a thread like this. Isn't clutter what you're complaining about? :lol:
+1

Is clutter an issue for you? If so, try new Klutter Kutter™. Send a check or money order to me now, and I'll send you not one, not two, but THREE packs of Klutter Kutter™. But wait! That's not all...act now, and receive a FREE GIFT for only $19.99! Wow!

Seriously, though, these sorts of posts are annoying, but they are less so if you ignore them. I mean, ...literally click "ignore."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
So, did anyone actually PM a mod? Because those posts and the offending user are still there.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
So, did anyone actually PM a mod? Because those posts and the offending user are still there.

Techno made a post yesterday, that may be gone now since I can't find it, but the jist of it was that in order to remove those posts, they'll have to go one by one and individually remove them as the forum upgrade removed their ability to wipe all posts from one user

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Techno made a post yesterday, that may be gone now since I can't find it, but the jist of it was that in order to remove those posts, they'll have to go one by one and individually remove them as the forum upgrade removed their ability to wipe all posts from one user
Yeah, I noticed that the posts disappeared about 20 minutes after I made that post. Bummer about the restrictions imposed by the new software, that's gotta make the job a lot harder.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It depends. If the software flags posts as spam it is easy for the mods to clean up... if like the bot with 90+ posts where it doesn't get flagged by the system then we have to wait for Alex to clean it up as we have no way to delete all posts by a user.

Also we have been getting hit by spam a lot lately and the mods aren't on 24/7 so we get to it when we are on and stuff has been reported.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm curious where the big influx of spam getting through is coming from - last time I ran any forum software and got completely bombarded by spam, I was able to cut pretty much all of it by changing the sign-up procedure. Did the new software change the way signing up works?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Either it has slacked off or Alex tightened up the signup process as there has been substantially less the last couple of days

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
It depends. If the software flags posts as spam it is easy for the mods to clean up... if like the bot with 90+ posts where it doesn't get flagged by the system then we have to wait for Alex to clean it up as we have no way to delete all posts by a user.

Also we have been getting hit by spam a lot lately and the mods aren't on 24/7 so we get to it when we are on and stuff has been reported.

Don't you guys have a "one click clean and ban" button? other forums have those just for dealing with spammers, if not, is it a forum software thing or a "admin rights" thing?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't you guys have a "one click clean and ban" button? other forums have those just for dealing with spammers, if not, is it a forum software thing or a "admin rights" thing?

We do... IF the system has flagged the poster as spam. We had one case where the system for some reason didn't pick up the bot.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Either it has slacked off or Alex tightened up the signup process as there has been substantially less the last couple of days

If I had to guess, they were probably hitting his whole hive of forums and not just our special little nest, so when the folks over at MLP or any of the other dozen ones also start chirping up as well, it was probably changed on all of them

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope must have just been a lull, we're back to getting a bunch of them every day again. Honestly getting tired of cleaning them up...

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
Enough is enough.
evpugv.png

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Kinda getting out of hand, the General Music Discussion page is not even worth looking at today...

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
^ I'm not seeing quite as much as everyone else, but I've been using the ignore feature. Not idea, but it helps.