Why Mayones, Why?

Workhorse

Reaction score
I have had this thing on my watchlist for ages now. In short, it's really beautiful - that top is amazing and as with all things Mayones I am sure it plays really nicely.

$(KGrHqN,!lcFIUPL+bt7BSGK!rE+bg~~60_57.JPG

My only question is: What the hell is up with those inlays? It looks like a teenager plastered on some crucifixes and a bunch of stars they got from Hot Topic. It doesn't look 'evil', it looks tacky and childish. Is there anyway to remove them without damaging a $4000 guitar?

I know people like this thing, except I also know without those inlays, this would have sold ages ago. What do you think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
You can order a standard Regius with that finish, no inlays, and spend less, since it will not be a signature model :yesway:

Workhorse

Reaction score
I have seen quite a few models that look like this, but usually the top isn't as nice.

I had no idea this was a signature model though, belongs to the dude from Tesseract?

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Yeah what the guy above just said. It will actually be cheaper and easier to order your own.

Mayones do custom orders, this either a custom order or a signature. So you're essentially asking 'why does someone have different taste to me?!?!'

Which is an insanely stupid thing to ask.

Just get your own one ordered, spend less and worry less about what other peoples preferences there. There's going to be someone out there who thinks your custom Mayones specs are downright stupid. And you know what, that's perfectly ok.

Workhorse

Reaction score
This thing has been on ebay for ages, most of the other regius models disappeared within a couple of months.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
My favorite part is the gloss clear coat over the stain and grain filler. Everybody else just leaves them satin, and I dig glossy guitars way more.

Debris

\m/ Shred-aholic \m/
Reaction score
It looks cool...but in my opinion, the Sustainiac needs a floating trem to use it to it's full potential :D

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
crosses (inverted or otherwise), pentagrams or skulls are never a good idea for a guitar, end of story.

jahosy

Reaction score
Anders Blakkheim chose those inlays. Therefore, they are ok.

Blakkheim's are iron crosses? Anyway see your point totally.

Have to say it was Blakkheim's gothic regius that convinced me to purchase an ashtop regius, of course without the inlays :lol:

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I dig Mayones a lot even if their headstock reminds me of dildos...worse part of high class guitars.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I honestly don't think the inlays look that bad.

I mean yeah, they're a little cheesy but they're not even that big or conspicuous, and the rest of the guitar is pure awesome.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
This isn't a signature model, all that was signature about Acle's Regius was the inlay, the rest of the specs including the finish were stock options.

I used to have a guitar just like this but with no inlay and no red grain lines, I could have ordered with red, white, green or silver grain lines (or the inverse, any combination in fact) when I got mine but likes the texture of the top more than the lines thingy.

There isn't even an up charge for this aesthetic IIRC because the top itself is cheaper than a figured maple one.

Saddest part is I had to ditch my one of these to buy my strandberg pretty quickly, I tried for 6 weeks and only got £1400 for it. There are still deals as good as that out there too, particularly in Europe where Mayones have been floating around untrendified (and thus price-inflated is my point) for some time.

')