Why not .008 gauge for 7 strings?

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I use 8-38 on my sevens, with a 56 low B. I get the 6-string packs and buy the low B separately, just like everyone else does. I believe LaBella used to make a 8-gauge set for 7-string guitars, but they don't anymore.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
I use 8s on my 7s tuned to C#...

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
For some time I used .008 gauge on my six.
Today I'm willing to use it again but...
I can't find .008 for sevens!
Not even an hybrid set.
Why does it happen?! :scratch:
I believe LaBella used to make a 8-gauge set for 7-string guitars, but they don't anymore.

We can have this done custom still... For instance on the last ASP tour Chris was using 8-38's with a 56 IIRC for his low string. Which is the exact gauge you just said you use.
:metal:

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
I never ever see any 7 string packs off the shelf of guitar shops except for Daddario and GHS:scratch: Probably has a lot to do with me living in Australia though:lol:

We get a real sweet deal with shit like that don't we :lol:

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using a D'Addario 10-52 set with a .008 for the high string in C# standard for awhile now. Works great :yesway:

Reaction score
I used 8s for a while.....it was cool but the high E kept getting stick on the side of the fretwire.... never had that problem before nor after I switched back.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I just recently started using 8s as my high E string and it actually feels better than 9s somehow. The rest of the strings are just a 12-54, since for some reason something about a 12 instead of an 11 for a high B feels more right to me.

')